ADVERTISEMENT

PGSF Mock Draft new thread...5th round; 1nole2/Philadelphia Eagles on the clock (x2)

Any one see Kiper's/McShay's 3 round mock? It's on ESPN Insider, but I have my brother's password. I did see that Seattle did pick a center in the 3rd round. :)

Marpet went #59.

I will see if there is anyway I can condense it and paste it.

With the 135th pick, the Cincinnati Bengals select...

th

Jamison Crowder, WR, Duke. 5-8, 185.

Well, well, well...The Bengals brass surveys the board here at the end of the 4th round and finds a toy...A mercurially quick water bug of a playmaker in Crowder. It was mentioned in a previous post that both of Cincy's starting receivers' contracts expire following the 2015 season. The Bengals added Denarius Moore in free agency and now add a slippery slot receiver who will also make an immediate positive impact in the return game. Not a bad deal for pick #135.

Per CBS Sports:

Strengths Weaknesses
2011 GAME
Had a season-high four catches for 47 yards against Stanford ... first collegiate TD reception covered 45 yards from Sean Renfree at North Carolina ... had a season-best 61 receiving yards as well as a 21-yard pass completion to Anthony Boone against the Tar Heels ... sealed Duke?s 31-27 road win over FIU on a 16-yard run around left end on 3rd-and-7 from the Duke 16 yard line with 1:36 remaining in the fourth quarter ... returned a season-high six kickoffs against both Stanford and FIU to match the second-highest single-game total by a Duke rookie ... punt return average marked Duke?s best since 2001 when Ronnie Hamilton (15.55) led the ACC ... the 38 kickoff returns matched the second-highest single-season total in Duke history while the 814 kickoff return yards stand as the fourth-best single-season total in school history ... both kickoff return and kickoff return yardage totals established Duke freshman records ... posted 190 all-purpose yards at Stanford, marking the seventh-highest single-game total by a Duke rookie ... carded the fourth-best single-season all-purpose yardage total for Duke freshmen ... played a total of 249 snaps.

Player Overview
The ACC's all-time leader in catches, Crowder is a pint-sized target with a smallish catching radius, but he has the ballskills to secure receptions away from his body and create as a ball-carrier. He does his best work in space where he shows up his change of direction skills with beautiful start/stop acceleration to make defenders miss in the open field. While his size limitations will create doubt in war rooms, but Crowder is an instant slot and special teams contributor for the team who invests a middle round pick on him.
After coming off the bench as a true freshman in 2011, Crowder started every game for the Blue Devils the past three seasons, eclipsing the 1,000-yard receiving mark each season. He leaves Duke with the school and conference record for receptions (283), earning numerous All-ACC and All-American awards.

With the 136th pick and last in the 4th round, the Baltimore Ravens select Darius Philon, DT, Arkansas. This pick is mainly for value and depth. I was looking at TE and QB as well.

STRENGTHS
Outstanding burst and quickness off the snap. Penetrator with ability to make plays on the other side of the line if he wins early. Able to blow up zone plays with quickness. Plays with desired bend. Uses rip to establish advantage on edge and then plays with leverage to maintain his position through the play. High school defensive end who brings more advanced hand usage and pass-rush moves to the interior spot. Has athleticism to mirror and help contain quarterbacks thinking of bolting from pocket. Plus speed to the sideline in pursuit.
WEAKNESSES
Still growing into his body and needs more time to add bulk. Needs to hit the weights hard in order to handle down blocks and pure power when he gets squared up. Struggles to unhinge himself and get back into the play once he's snatched by guards with size. At times, gets caught on tape just riding out the snap when initial pass rush stalls. Lacks formidable bull rush. Lacks size and functional power to play in anything but 4-3.
2552676.jpg

Well, by popular demand, I've added the 5th-round draft order. We'll take this thing as far as we can leading up to the real thing.

With the first pick in round 5, the Norsemen select, Senquez Golson, CB, Ole Miss.
From NFL.com:
Golson has the twitch, ball skills and instincts to be an outstanding cornerback in the NFL. Despite playing so much zone in college, there is no reason to believe he can't transition to any coverage asked of him. He's well put-together, but his lack of height could force some teams to view him as a slot-only corner. Golson has Pro Bowl potential.

With the 138th selection the Tennessee Titans select Kyle Emanuel OLB from North Dakota state. The Titans could really use another edge rusher, this guy could possibly get some playing time right away. Has a great combination of motor and skill. With Dick Lebeau's coaching he could develop into a very solid LB. Had a dominant senior season with 19.5 sacks, and a very storied career at NDS. Fires off the snap with good forward lean and low pad level. Ability to bend the edge and believes he is never out of a play. Has quick feet and strength to go with it. Big hitter. Has a 3rd round draft grade so he would be a great pick up at this point.
541798d070648.preview-620.jpg

Nice pick, Smitty. Emanuel looked great at the Combine.

Do we pass over, or pick for, the Jags at 2:45 today?
Every time I begin to doubt if 1nole2 will show up to pick, he does before his deadline. I've already emailed Manch. to be ready to go after 2:45 today. If 1nole2 doesn't show up by a reasonable time, we'll figure out what to do with his selection.

Oakland selects, CB, Craig Mager, Texas State
TexasState_logo.gif

From Walter: One of the most impressive defensive backs at the East-West Shrine was Mager. He did a nice job of running the routes and staying with receivers
to prevent them from getting separation. At the Combine, Mager continued to perform well with a faster than expected 40.
Mager isn't undersized and is put together pretty well. He looks like he could develop into a quality NFL cornerback after starting out as a nickel or dime corner.

From CBS:
STRENGTHS: Adequate build and strength for the position...good stopwatch speed with lower body burst and leaping skills...terrific read/react quickness
to see the play develop and drive on the ball with timing...alert and heady, playing decisive and keeping his eyes elevated to quickly locate.
Reliable ballskills (47 passes defended, eight interceptions in his career)...physical in press and plays with a feisty nature, making the wide receiver uncomfortable...pins'
receivers to the sideline and leverages his body well...anchors the outside as a run defender to contain, stringing runs to the sideline and playing with gap integrity...
strikes high, but usually able to wrestle ballcarriers to the ground - not shy about sticking his nose in the fire...core special teams player, displaying intelligence, toughness
and relentless effort that endears him to coaches - strong work ethic and practice player.
Some return experience, averaging 18.6 yards on punt returns, including one touchdown (8/149/1)...has overcome a great deal of adversity - mother died when he was 15
years old after a hospital accident, forcing him to assume the only parental role to his two younger sisters.

WEAKNESSES: Lacks desired size and arm length...can pedal, but wasn't asked to do so in college and needs technique work in his transition - started with his hips open,
which led to wasted steps
.will lunge and miss his target in press...undisciplined once stacked vertically, attracting penalties with grabby hands...needs to better read the receiver to get his head turned
once his back is turned to the line of scrimmage - quarterbacks aren't afraid to throw his way downfield.
Needs to improve his anticipation in off-coverage, allowing too much underneath...inconsistent tackling mechanics and his break down skills need tweaked...play speed
doesn't match his timed speed, often finding himself a step behind, struggling to close...averaged only 2.6 yards per return on interceptions (8/21/0)...played against lower
level of competition - only three career games vs. teams from a power-five conference.

99e36af954cad4aece23ecf565f3ca2a.jpg

Craig+Mager+Texas+State+v+Texas+Tech+35_n-RbRBagl.jpg

Sorry this is going to be short, but the Washington Redskins select Taiwan Jones, ILB, Michigan State University. The Redskins need help everywhere. Jones is at least a core special teamer, with the upside to develop into a solid ILB. Not great in coverage, but brings a thump!

Per NFL.com

Analysis
Strengths
Outstanding size and durability. Card-carrying tough guy with take-on traits. Looks to own the middle of the field. Happy to strike a heavy blow on offensive linemen drifting to second level. Play strength to redirect off a block and leverage gap. Heat-seeking missile as A-gap blitzer, jolting centers and/or running backs while inverting pocket. Wrap-up finisher with unexpected closing speed for his size. Well-respected leader. Moved from outside to inside linebacker and made front adjustments during 2014 season.
Weaknesses
Stiff, with limited change of direction in small spaces. Not very instinctive. Plays through a straw rather than with feel. Slow to see and trigger, struggling to beat offensive linemen over the top. Still learning pursuit angles from inside. Liability in man coverage and slow to drop with depth in zone. Below-average ball skills and came off field on passing downs.
Draft Projection
Round 4 or 5
NFL Comparison
Nico Johnson
Bottom Line
Physically imposing "Hulk smash" linebacker with outstanding power and toughness but a lack of instincts essential to the position. Jones' coverage limitations could be mitigated by his ability to thump and blitz as a 3-4 inside linebacker next to a more instinctive chaser. At worst, Jones is a backup linebacker and core special-teams player.

If anyone wants to take the Eagles pick, please go ahead and do so. I work tonight...If it's not made by morning, I'll make my own suggestion.

The original commish picked C Shaq Mason from Georgia Tech via email. He'll give his write-up later.

My suggestion for the Eagles is QB Bryan Bennett from SE Louisiana. Philly certainly needs insurance (and Tebow ain't it) at the signal-caller position with the fragile Sam Bradford slated to be the starter. Bennett is an Oregon transfer that Chip Kelly recruited to that school, and we all know the boner that Kelly gets for former Ducks or even players from other Pac-12 teams with which he is familiar.

With the 143rd selection the Denver Broncos select Max Valles OLB Virginia. Redshirt sophomore who decided to take his talents to the next level. Very raw athlete who has the skills and size but lacks the football knowledge. Plays strictly on athletic ability, but with some good coaching and film room he could develop into a great LB. At 6'6 251 he has the frame to add more weight. Quick off the edge and has great length to bat down passes. Denver is in need of someone to step up at OLB.
5430a3a046f6b.image.jpg

I just saw another mock draft where the Pats get Goldman at #32, so I have seen several mocks where the Pats get Goldman at #32, and if that happens, I think that would be great value at #32 and tlk about an immediate replacement for Wilfork. Belichick would actually smile with that pick.

Still no thoughts about the Iggles' pick or my suggestion for it??

Giants select LB Ramik Wilson, UGA

USATSI_7421427_154511880_lowres.jpg

Short write up this time.

Giants need LBs. Wilson has limitations, but this is the 5th rd, not going to get a sure fire starter at this point. Has some versatility as he played ILB at UGA in their 3-4 hybrid but probably is better suited to the Sam in a base 4-3.

Strengths/Weaknesses via CBSSports:

STRENGTHS: Well-put-together size for the position with good bulk and length. More than enough speed and pursuit skills. Athletic enough to flip and run down the seam with pass-catchers, positioning himself well downfield. Comfortable and coordinated in his drops. Smooth lateral movements, staying balanced on the move with natural change of direction skills. Nice job mirroring and keeping his pads square at the line of scrimmage with closing burst downhill. Read/reacts well to patrol the middle of the field. Heady and plays decisive. Uses his length well to wrap and finish. High-character player with reliable work ethic. Highly productive tackler with 243 total tackles the past two seasons, the most in the SEC over that span.

WEAKNESSES: Struggles to disengage and gets hung up in the trash with questionable functional strength. Prefers to go around blockers even when quickest route is to try and go through them. Too easily bullied near the line of scrimmage and in the middle of the field, struggling to keeping himself clean. Cover athleticism isn't a strength and needs to do a better job identifying keys and trusting his eyes. Often late to locate and can be distracted by eye candy. Too reactionary with suspect anticipation and needs to do a better job reading the pass-catcher to make a play on the ball. Wild angles with room to clean up his footwork. Too much of a hugger and needs to be more of a striker. Suffered a concussion during summer 2014.

Still no thoughts about the Iggles' pick or my suggestion for it??

I'm okay with it, your reasoning is sound. In the 5th rd as long as a pick is either "best player available" or filling numbers for a position of need (and QB is always a need even if you're the NE Patriots) I'm not sure many (if any) will question a pick.

Well, gentlemen, it's been fun and I'd like to thank you for your participation. It's a bit ironic that the individual who first asked if we were going to do this this year is the one who essentially has applied the death blow to this year's edition. There are only 2 days left until the real thing begins, and 1nole2 is due with two picks, but he is sadly nowhere to be found. I hope we can all do this again next year.

I'm just glad it was officially called before I had back to back picks with the Dolphins!

I have my pick ready if we try to close it out on last day

thank you to Lizard for running the draft, and all my email reminders ...see you guys next year

Thanks for everything NL, I think this draft went very smoothly. I am looking forward to next year already, hopefully i can be a part of the 2016 version.

I have my pick ready if we try to close it out on last day

thank you to Lizard for running the draft, and all my email reminders ...see you guys next year
Go ahead if you like. That would be cool. End this with a bang rather than a whimper.

Adding my thanks to NoleLizards as well. Did a really good job of keeping the board up to date and letting everyone know they were up. As a result the draft moved at a fairly brisk pace. In years past guys would be gung ho to get started and it'd fizzle out mid way through the 2nd rd (lucky to get a 3rd rd in most years).

Adding my thanks to NoleLizards as well. Did a really good job of keeping the board up to date and letting everyone know they were up. As a result the draft moved at a fairly brisk pace. In years past guys would be gung ho to get started and it'd fizzle out mid way through the 2nd rd (lucky to get a 3rd rd in most years).
I truly appreciate the kind sentiments. It was a lot of fun.

Great job, NoleLizards, I enjoyed myself next year I think I will have to step it up and take another team to help speed things up.

I wish the comments for all the picks were still available so I'd know who "that guy that just got selected" is. Thanks to everyone for playing. Thanks to Lizard for planning and admin. Let's do it again next year!

Is Ramik Wilson considered the Mr. Irrelevant of our Mock? ;)
Pretty much, yeah. i guess NiA decided not to make the draft-closing selection. That's okay....We made it a long way this year.

That was fun. Thanks NoleLizards. We are getting farther each year.

Posted this in the Locker Room thread:

I put the NFL Network on at 4:00 PM EST, and promptly turned it off when I heard Michael Irvin's voice. I think he is the worst NFL guy on TV. Was Irvin on the actual live draft telecast? I didn't dare put the NFL network back on because of Irvin. I will tolerate Berman and Gruden (Gruden is a fountain of info, but I have a tough time with all of his mannerism's, hand movements, touching the guy next to him, that Chuckie grin..........) combined before I listen to Irvin.

Skip Bayless is killing JW for the crab leg photo. When I saw that, I was thinking, WTF is he (JW) thinking. I am so sick and tired of defending this kid, JW wants to move on but then he does this. JW also stated that he wanted to be with family for the draft, but shows up to be with his family 5 minutes before the draft? Hmmmmmm, tells me the NFL asked him to stay home.

My lock of the draft was Eddie Goldman going to the Patriots at #32, but then again, I never expected Malcolm Brown to drop to #32, WOW, did the Patriots get value with their pick (Kiper had Brown at #12 on his board)! I hope that the Raiders can grab Goldman with the #35 (SI now has Goldman going to the Chargers with the 16th pick of the 2nd round), although they need CB's and pass rushers even more (Bama's Landon Collins at safety is still out there, dangling), this is more of a homer pick for this draft nut! What would be great, is if the Raiders turned around and grabbed Randy Gregory at #35 and were somehow able to grab another WR or the best available CB in the 3rd round. I thought all along that Gregory might be a little small to be a top 10 pick, but if he slides to #35, then my Raiders should grab him immediately. Jalen Collins (CB, LSU) is another stud that the Raiders could get with the 3rd pick in the 2nd round.

NFL network had Williams listed with the highest grade with a 7.5 and then Cooper with a 7.1. Brown was graded at 6.2 which put him tied for 13th, so again, the Raiders, Pats and Jets did extremely well! Denver took a chance on Shane Ray at #23 (Ray was rated around as the 6-7th pick) and Baltimore has to be extremely happy with Perriman at #26.

When Fowler (he shows up in a white tux trimmed with garnett and $7,000 gold shoes, LMFAO!!!!!) was picked third, I was ecstatic because I really wanted the Raiders to get Leonard Williams all along (I thought that there was a shot that Jacksonville would pick Cooper at #3), but with Cooper sitting there at #4, the Cooper pick was a no-brainer and most experts expect Cooper to be the safest pick in the draft in terms of being the real deal. The Raiders hit a home run with last year's draft, and they have already hit a homer this year, let's see if they can turn this home run into a grand slam. I doubt Green-Beckham will be available at #68, but if he is, David Carr will have enough weapons to light it up for the next decade (maybe Crabtree will be over his injury and can explode this year). The Jets getting Williams at #6 was unreal and their defense is going to be tough to beat in 2016, of course they will be in a lot of 9-6 games.

Carolina taking Washinton's Shaq Thompson was, IMO, perhaps the biggest mistake of the draft so far, he was picked was to early, as was Arik Armstead (#17 to the 49'ers), These guys might pan out, but I think teams could have gotten more out of their pick. Some of the experts said that Dallas whiffed with Byron Jones (CB, UCONN), but I thought Jones might land with NE at #32.

Pittsburgh getting Kentucky's Bud Dupree with the 22nd was another great value pick.

For us draft nuts and wanna be gurus, the fun starts tonight! Watch for a run of FSU and Miami (Fla) players to be taken off the board tonight in rounds 2-3.

Manch - Dallas should have taken Malcolm Brown with their selection IMO. That would have made you correct with the Patriots taking Goldman with the #32 pick.

NL, SI has Marpet going #64 to the Pats!
Manch - Dallas should have taken Malcolm Brown with their selection IMO. That would have made you correct with the Patriots taking Goldman with the #32 pick.

I know, stunned that Brown dropped like that and was a little confused by the Dallas pick. My wife doesn't understand the Pats taking Brown, just that my lock and big mouth lost!

ADVERTISEMENT