ADVERTISEMENT

Pregame notes: FSU seeks win No. 24 at Clemson

Bob Ferrante

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Staff
May 10, 2022
Via FSU sports information:

Florida State (23-7, 12-5 ACC) is looking to finish the regular season with 13 conference wins, which would be the most since also getting 13 wins in the 2016-17 season (last NCAA Elite Eight appearance).

Freshman Ta’Niya Latson has been arguably the top player in the ACC this season. Her 21.8 points per game leads the conference, as she is looking to become the first freshman ever to lead the ACC in points per game.

The Seminoles and Tigers (15-14, 6-11) meet for the 64th time on Sunday afternoon. In the first meeting, FSU had five players in double figures, including Latson’s 31 points, in a 93-62 win at the Tucker Center on Jan. 5, 2023.

FSU is looking to reach 24 regular-season wins on Sunday. Reaching that mark would tie for the fourth-highest regular-season win total in program history since joining the ACC in 1991-92, and the highest since the 2017-18 season (24 regular-season wins). FSU is on the cusp of recording its seventh 25-win season since joining the conference.

The Seminoles are one of the ACC’s biggest risers based on preseason predicted order of finish vs. current standing. Picked ninth in the preseason, FSU is up five spots and tied at fourth in the league. The other comparable team is Duke, which was predicted seventh and is up six spots and tied for first.

Leading the ACC and sitting seventh nationally in scoring offense with 81.6 points per game, FSU is hoping to average 80 points or more for just the third time in program history. It averaged 81.0 points in 2017-18 and 83.8 points in the 1990-91 season.

Yep, it’s a biggie, no doubt. Win today at Clemson combined with a Louisville loss versus the Irish and we won’t have to play until Friday in Greensboro as we’ll be the #4 seed.

Hoping we see another snoozer like we did in the first matchup w/Clemson and looking forward to seeing how the ACCT bracket shakes out. Lots on the line this final day of conference play!

Regardless, what an awesome job done by Coach Brooke and company. Talk about exceeding expectations. Finish strong and Go Noles!

Reactions: Bob Ferrante
That ND vs Louisville game will be a good one. Sucks they play at the same time as us.

Clemson won’t be easy as they are tough at home beating VT and single digit losses to ND/Duke. We don’t play well on the road but I am sure the ladies are up for the challenge. Would be nice to see Latson end the regular season with another 30 point game.

That ND vs Louisville game will be a good one. Sucks they play at the same time as us.

Clemson won’t be easy as they are tough at home beating VT and single digit losses to ND/Duke. We don’t play well on the road but I am sure the ladies are up for the challenge. Would be nice to see Latson end the regular season with another 30 point game.

Just FYI that the Louisville/ND game tips off at noon. Our tip is at 2pm 👍🏼

Reactions: semispear
Same. Ladies are very, very different on the road. Some teams just have a harder time bringing it on the road. We’ve seen this show many times before.

Hopefully they can regroup at the half and come out strong. Not a lot of smart play out there at the moment.

Curious what’s going on with Latson. Only one foul but has been out for awhile.

Wyckoff has sat Latson the entire 2nd quarter so far for whatever reason.

Overall all of our guards looked bad.

With Louisville losing, Noles can get a double bye in the ACCT with a win today. Down 8 at the half, so a lot of work to do.

Clemson lead is now 13.

Noles settling for 3’s. Really not sure why Massengil is on the floor but I guess we don’t have many other options.

This will be a bad loss. Only beat Wake by 1 and losing to Clemson not the way you want to be headed into post season.

A 5 seed means we would have to play UVA or BC in the first round. Both teams we struggled with this season (Lost to BC). So a win in the first round isn’t guaranteed and if they do win, we have to play Louisville who beat us at home. Tough draw either way.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Well, looks like I’ll be heading to the Coliesum a day earlier than I’d hoped. Have a date with the 12/13 winner at 11am on Thursday.

Now all hope of hosting a regional is shot, but it would have likely taken this win as well as advancing to the ACCT final to earn a 4 seed in the dance.

Reactions: semispear
Ive enjoyed Brooke all season but this is probably the worse game I’ve seen her coach. A lot of questionable lineups, not using her timeouts in the first half, sitting Latson the entire 2nd quarter, lack of adjustments over all.

We go as far as our guards go and they were terrible today.

Time to regroup and try to make some noise in the ACCT!

Missed the game. Although looks like I didn't miss much.

Here's the bracket:

ACC Tournament schedule 2023.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT