ADVERTISEMENT

Prepare for Warp speed Scotty

BelemNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Roseville, CA
NASA May Have Accidentally Discovered Faster-Than-Light Travel

A team at NASA may have unintentionally accelerated particles to faster-than-light speeds while using the EmDrive resonance chamber - basically, if their findings turn out to be accurate, the team may have just discovered faster-than-light travel.

To clarify, the EmDrive resonance chamber is a proposed method of interstellar propulsion: basically, this could end up being the engines that the starships of the future use. The advantages of using such a device are numerous: it's electrically powered, it features no moving parts and doesn't require any material fuel to move. If it ends up
working as planned, there's a good chance that it could lead to a new breed of engine.

NASA is currently studying the technology for future applications, but few expected anything like this to happen: according to a post over at the NASA Space Flight forums, when a team of researchers fired lasers into the resonance chamber, the particles were accelerated to astronomical speeds...with some moving even faster than the speed of light.

"...this signature (the interference pattern) on the EmDrive looks just like what a warp bubble looks like. And the math behind the warp bubble apparently matches the interference pattern found in the EmDrive."

5468f01c694565521679f3f284b2fcc5.jpg

Great, can they get to work on inertial dampeners so that this becomes feasible?

so time travel will be possible?

I always thought you could move forward in time to any point but could only go backwards within certain limitations.

I.e. If you could theoretically set a time and space wormhole in one place (say the Earth) and then placed astronauts on a near light speed ship with the other end of the wormhole then theoretically because time is traveling much faster on Earth than on the ship, an astronaut could go through the wormhole and end up in "the future" (aka a year would have passed for him, but 100 years on Earth) or someone from the Earth can jump into his past by boarding the ship, but regardless of that fact neither the astronauts nor the Earthmen could go in opposite directions as time was technically going forward in both locations.

So there would be no way to go back in time on Earth to a point in Earths past, but you could hypothetically jump to the future by jumping from Earth to the spaceship with slower time and then jump back to Earth where time would have advanced significantly. Meanwhile the astronauts can never go back further in time than the creation of the wormhole because if THEY jumped back to Earth it would still be after they left just significantly less further along in time than they are.

Not completely sure. I guess I was just thinking simplistically, of travelling faster than the speed of light the opposite of the earth's rotation to go back in time and with the rotation to go forward in time. Just not sure how much time you would gain or move as I am not sure how much faster it is than the speed of light where you would gain or lose much time.

Tribe is correct on the traditional view. Not sure if this would change anything if it were to pan out into something useful.

ADVERTISEMENT