ADVERTISEMENT

Results not there. But opportunity still is.

STPNole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Feb 14, 2013
Obviously we still have a long way to go. But there still is a huge opportunity to get this turned around this year. After listening to the press conferences and reviewing the JSU tape, I'm nowhere near ready to throw in the towel on 2021 just yet. I still think a 6-6 season is possible if the coaches and players seize this moment of truth and hold themselves and each other accountable.

The fact is -- as it has been for years now -- we are simply not good enough to overcome mistakes. One or two, okay. Maybe even three or four. But we have to clean it up. We simply don't have the talent to overcome mistake after mistake after mistake -- either from the play-calling or execution.

If we keep up the effort, which is clearly there, and clean up the mistakes, we can get back on track and still have a modestly productive, rebuilding year.

Keys/Observations:
  • Go all in as a run-first offense and start Jordan Travis. I know his throws haven't been accurate. But if we are going to establish an identity on offense, given our lack of WR talent, we have to dedicate ourselves to the ground attack. Travis gives us the best chance to have success on the ground.
    • And he can hit those chunk plays down the field -- had one perfect deep TD throw and almost had a second but for ND's freak at safety.
  • Use Milton as change-of-pace/situational QB by giving him two or three series per half and/or in key moments, i.e. if we have to abandon the running game because we've fallen behind. I know there's mixed success in leveraging two QBs, but I think this is a unique situation and it will force opponents to scheme for both QB styles.
    • I would never again have both QBs on the field at the same time, unless there's a very unique situation, which I honestly can't even think of off the top of my head.
  • Honestly, I know the last play again JSU is inexcusable. But the defense has been a lot better coordinated than anything I've seen in the last four years. Fuller should take his lumps on the last JSU TD -- and It's clear that if there were 4 seconds and not 6, Fuller calls a different defense. With a timeout, I think they would have had more time to assess and replay the call. In the moment, he and the team flubbed. But other than that and a few terrible miscues on the second to last drive, I think we have a very different perspective about the progress we're making on defense. Just keep up the effort and aggressive play -- and eliminate the situational mistakes both from the sideline and between the lines.
  • OL is better, but still has ways to go. I hate to say this, but with this OL play, maybe Willie wins a few more games and is still here. That would only cover up the other major issues from the Willie saga. But this is an OL that at least isn't the worst in college football anymore. Trending up.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News