ADVERTISEMENT

Should This High Schooler Have Been Suspended for Her 'Inappropriate' Dress?

alaskanseminole

Seminole Insider
Oct 20, 2002
yes, Yes, YES!

LINK: Article

6bd8a457c33fc5179edf2b6698dd04bce7b129b4.jpg

The dress code doesn't stipulate how flattering or appropriate the dress looks (as that's up to interpretation). Instead it lists a specific link. The real story is why wasn't she suspended in FIRST period (or as soon as she arrived on campus)?

Idaho, what do you expect.

I had a fun conversation with my principal my senior year about the dress code. He wasn't a fan of mine. I went something like this:

Mr Belemnole!
Yes Mr Marsh?
Your shorts ...Mr Belemnole.
What about them Mr Marsh?
Don't you agree that they are too short? (They were required to fall below the knee)
No, sir I don't
You don't?
No sir, the shorts are fine, it's just that my legs are too long.

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole

I had a fun conversation with my principal my senior year about the dress code. He wasn't a fan of mine. I went something like this:

Mr Belemnole!
Yes Mr Marsh?
Don't you agree that they are too short? (They were required to fall below the knee)
No, sir I don't
You don't?

Are we talking Tom Selleck in Magnum PI short, or Freddie Mercury short?

I don't even want to know why you have that in your photobucket account Rocky.....but even in 1987 I knew better than to wear jean shorts.

Mr Belemnole!
Yes Mr Marsh?
No, sir I don't
You don't?

rimshot-o.gif

Reactions: Wendy79
I can't recall if I got detention for the shorts, insubordination, or if I skated because he was too slow. Guy was dumb. He was a former football coach who only got the job thru small town Texas connections. I did get detention for Senior Skip Day. My note from my mom read: John skipped school for senior skip day. They didn't find that as funny as I did. I was the only one who didn't have a parent lie...and the only one in detention. I found the irony worth the punishment.

The dress is too short according to the schools dress code. Is it ridiculous to try and suspend a student in the last 30 minutes of their high school career? Yes, it is dumb. My guess is that there is far more to this story than the student is telling. My guess is that the teacher did make an issue out of the dress for some reason (which most reasonable people would have let go at this point) and the student copped an entitled attitude and probably did yell at the teacher.

The dress is too short according to the schools dress code. Is it ridiculous to try and suspend a student in the last 30 minutes of their high school career? Yes, it is dumb. My guess is that there is far more to this story than the student is telling. My guess is that the teacher did make an issue out of the dress for some reason (which most reasonable people would have let go at this point) and the student copped an entitled attitude and probably did yell at the teacher.
am i correct in assuming you're basing this on absolutely nothing more than a hunch?

Tragic, but so typical of our public school system. The system is populated by complete idiots who fixate on crap like this instead of actually doing their jobs.

Assuming this is indeed the "offending dress," it seems fine to me. But even if the dress violated some code, what's the point in creating a fuss the last 30 minutes of the year? Seems to me like some petty or jealous teacher, or administrator, served this up as a "parting shot" to a young lady he/she/they did not like for some other reason.

Whatever. The public schools continue to be a joke. It's all I can do not to barf when I hear these people bitching about needing more money. Hey, you guys selected this walk of life -- often by default because you could not get into graduate or professional school, or you enjoy working only 8-9 months a year -- and no one "changed the deal" after you started. Sad.

Yes, but it is an educated hunch after having been a teacher. The stories the students tell almost never match the actual events.

I also readily admit that even attempting to make an issue about the dress with 30 minutes left on the last day of school shows little common sense.

Yes, but it is an educated hunch after having been a teacher. The stories the students tell almost never match the actual events.

I also readily admit that even attempting to make an issue about the dress with 30 minutes left on the last day of school shows little common sense.

I am not sure that the kids' stories are always inaccurate. Every time I read about a teacher sleeping with a student, it reminds me that the teaching profession is not chocked full of decent or honorable people.

Yes, it's really stupid and petty to suspend her with 30 minutes left of school.

That said, seems like she knew she was breaking the rules and comes across to me in the article like she's a real beetch in real life. My guess is the teacher was tired of dealing with her crap and decided to abandon the high road in order to stick it to her (figuratively, not literally) before she graduated.

There are no winners here. The teacher will be stuck training a new class of entitled jerks to pass some stupid standardized test next year, and the girl will go on to Hillbilly State U, where she'll make a series of poor decisions that will shape what will become her depressing "adult" life.

I think the whole thing is rather silly but wanted to point out they did a great job of taking the picture at an angle looking down likely making it appear the dress is a bit longer. I bet it is in fact shorter than how it looks as posed there.

My guess is she's quite the bitch, and rather than utilizing the opportunity she was given to just go home 30 minutes early, copped an attitude and probably said something like "what are you going to do, suspend me?"

I think the whole thing is rather silly but wanted to point out they did a great job of taking the picture at an angle looking down likely making it appear the dress is a bit longer. I bet it is in fact shorter than how it looks as posed there.
Wut? The picture is taken from eye level. Did you want the photographer to lay down and get an up skirt shot? I know I do.

Sounds like the girl was going into the day looking/waiting for confrontation...it finally came with 30 minutes left in her high school career.

The teacher who took the bait is an idiot for biting.

She is the type of girl I could see being a 'cleat chaser" when she gets to college. Fun...but psycho if pissed off

Wut? The picture is taken from eye level. Did you want the photographer to lay down and get an up skirt shot? I know I do.
LOL-Yes that would have been most ideal angle! But the camera angle was being pointed downward (from the same level). Look at the ground and objects in background that dramatically seem to slope up. They likely did that angle on purpose because it would make the dress look a bit longer then taken at a straight and normal angle. Point being is I bet the dress was shorter than people think based on this staged picture. But the reaction was ridiculous too as is worrying about a tasteful dress length.

LOL-Yes that would have been most ideal angle! But the camera angle was being pointed downward (from the same level). Look at the ground and objects in background that dramatically seem to slope up. They likely did that angle on purpose because it would make the dress look a bit longer then taken at a straight and normal angle. Point being is I bet the dress was shorter than people think based on this staged picture. But the reaction was ridiculous too as is worrying about a tasteful dress length.
Part of the problem is that her knees are really weird and you can't tell exactly where she transitions from thigh to knee to calf. It makes it hard to determine exactly how far out of compliance the dress might be.

Part of the problem is that her knees are really weird and you can't tell exactly where she transitions from thigh to knee to calf. It makes it hard to determine exactly how far out of compliance the dress might be.

I read a different article which included less BS about how she "feels" and more on the schools side. Basically, the school has a cut and dry "no dresses over the top of the knee" guideline. This dress is clearly over that limit, at least six inches probably more so. And she was well aware of the dress code.

So it doesn't matter if any of US think it's inappropriate, it's in clear violation of the rule and she knew it. Then she copped an attitude about how she had just read in Seventeen magazine she was supposed to dress how she felt and she felt "happy".

Tragic, but so typical of our public school system. The system is populated by complete idiots who fixate on crap like this instead of actually doing their jobs.

Assuming this is indeed the "offending dress," it seems fine to me. But even if the dress violated some code, what's the point in creating a fuss the last 30 minutes of the year? Seems to me like some petty or jealous teacher, or administrator, served this up as a "parting shot" to a young lady he/she/they did not like for some other reason.

Whatever. The public schools continue to be a joke. It's all I can do not to barf when I hear these people bitching about needing more money. Hey, you guys selected this walk of life -- often by default because you could not get into graduate or professional school, or you enjoy working only 8-9 months a year -- and no one "changed the deal" after you started. Sad.

Wow, one teacher at one school (out of thousands across the country) acts like an a-hole and you condemn the entire public school system? Not to mention, most private schools (especially the religous based ones) are far more strict about dress codes.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT