ADVERTISEMENT

So the ostracized SEAL claims in his new book that his fellow SEALs mutilated OBL's body

FSUTribe76

Veteran Seminole Insider
Jan 23, 2008
Don't read the link or click the spoilers if you don't want/can't stand the gory details.

An unnamed point man and O'Neill proceeded up to the third floor. After they burst into bin Laden's bedroom, the point man tackled two women, thinking they might have suicide vests, as O'Neill fired at the Al Qaeda founder.

"In less than a second, I aimed above the woman's right shoulder and pulled the trigger twice," he wrote, according to the New York Daily News. "Bin Laden's head split open, and he dropped. I put another bullet in his head. Insurance."

There is some dispute over who fired the fatal shots, but most accounts are that O'Neill shot bin Laden in the head at some point. According to a deeply reported article in The Intercept, O'Neill "canoed" the head of bin Laden, delivering a series of shots that split open his forehead into a V shape.

O'Neill's book says the operators had to press bin Laden's head back together to take identifying photos. But that wasn't the end of the mutilation of bin Laden's body, according to Jack Murphy of SOFREP, a special-operations news website.

Two sources told Murphy in 2016 that several SEALs took turns dumping round after round into bin Laden's body, which ended up having more than 100 bullet holes in it.

Murphy, a former Army Ranger, called it "beyond excessive."

"The picture itself would likely cause an international scandal, and investigations would be conducted which could uncover other operations, activities which many will do anything to keep buried," he wrote.

I personally don't care what they did to the body really beyond two things (if true of course, this could easily just be a $$$$ grab): 1) purposefully mutilating an adversary's corpse shows some signs of untreated mental illness that needs to be addressed before something far more unfortunate happens by the mutilators in question, hopefully they got some time with the shrink and a lot of leave before going back into a war zone and 2) when it leaks (like now) it can be used as easy propaganda and ultimately more Americans end up killed. Other than that I have not one iota of sympathy for OBL and don't personally get offended by it.

I personally wish that rather than trumpeting his death like he was some great adversary like the Romans did their defeated enemies, they (not meaning SEALS here but the POTUS and military in general) would have just put a round or two in his head and unceremoniously moved on to the next mission. And treated him like the nothing he really was.

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/navys...medium=website&utm_content=link&ICID=ref_fark

Curious what the views are within the special operator community about the publicity seeking. Seems like some have succumbed to the pull of the spotlight.

From what I can tell they absolutely hate him. In the comments in older articles where some former special ops guys (allegedly, per what THEY said, I don't know any of them obviously to confirm their history) literally talked openly about killing him. And that was over the original book and statements which was relatively bland and detail free imo. These new statements that are easily translated into propaganda against Americans and makes the SEALs look bad...let's just say I'm sure no one is offering up any toasts to him. Because even I (who has zero dogs in this fight) am thinking "shut up dude you're going to get Americans killed and for what?".

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Curious what the views are within the special operator community about the publicity seeking. Seems like some have succumbed to the pull of the spotlight.

I think it was CBS this morning that had a few SEALs on (identities/voices hidden). Thanks to SEALs working on books, movies, video games, etc, they have had to actually change their tactics during operations...they weren't happy with the attention seekers whatsoever.

I think it was CBS this morning that had a few SEALs on (identities/voices hidden). Thanks to SEALs working on books, movies, video games, etc, they have had to actually change their tactics during operations...they weren't happy with the attention seekers whatsoever.
I also saw where several of them were serious alcohol and drug abusers. That is just terrible that these guys are so far out there and using drugs while on missions.

I think those were the whistleblowers on the rampant drug use going on within the SEALs.

I also saw where several of them were serious alcohol and drug abusers. That is just terrible that these guys are so far out there and using drugs while on missions.

https://www.google.com/amp/www.cbsn...-among-navy-seals-leadership-ignored-problem/

On the one hand I'm not totally surprised that they have a bigger drug use problem (allegedly) than the rest of the Navy because they're under high stress basically all of the time versus floating around on a boat or sitting back at a base well distant from any action. On the other hand, you naturally associate them with the best of the best and don't expect the elites of the military to have such basic human failings.

Don't get me wrong, if I had to deal with even one hundredth of what a typical SEAL sees and does I would be an emotional wreck and probably high 100% of the time to deal with it. But I wouldn't remotely pretend like I have "the right stuff" to be a SEAL.

Last edited:
It's likely a massive understatement to say there's a massive mental health crisis in our armed forces, active and retired.

If true, what they did to OBL's body likely constitutes a violation of the geneva convention and they should be prosecuted as such. There's no imaginable reason to let this kind of crap slide, pun not intended.

Haven't read the book and don't intend to. To some of the questions posed; can't answer regarding SEALs, have worked with them a bunch and know a few personally. Overall pretty good guys and what SOF organization you serve in doesn't define what kind of person you are. Army SOF has plenty of numb nuts too. I know in my SOF community if you write a book and it is not approved you are done and regarded as PNG. No access to any of your former friends or the community. I could make a list of guys in Tier 1 units who wrote books and were done in the community. Generally speaking if you reveal methods, selection process, guys still involved in operations etc. you are done in the community. Interestingly Sean Naylor wrote a book about USASOC; he was the Army Times reporter that first wrote about Black Hawk down in Somali. He used his connections and reputation to get access to things he would not have had if not for his history. Well he craped the bed and revealed things he shouldn't have. He is done now. Personally I have written articles for SOF publications and always not only get approval; but let the people involved read the article prior to sending it to the publisher.

The pain killer issue is not really surprising; everyone gets hurt at some point and takes meds. How that works out can vary based on optempo, level of injury etc. The bottom line is if you are 35 or so everything hurts everyday; regardless of how in shape you are. This can lead to dependency. I personally on 1 tour was wounded/injured in my shoulder; my team was already down to 8 guys, so I wasn't leaving and the injury was manageable, except the pain was hell. One day my team medic was like hey we are doing a QLD day (Quality of Life, where other than getting hit we just chill and do what we want), let me give you an IV and some Stadol, you can go out to the range and see what your performance level is at and I will know if I give this to you whether or not you can still fight. We did it an there was very little degradation in my skill set. Obviously I couldn't take Stadol everyday; but man being pain free for about 6-8 hours sure was nice. When I came back to the states I had 2 surgeries on that shoulder and have had 2 on my other shoulder since then. Meds were prescribed and it would have been real easy to just keep taking them; but I didn't. The bottom line is guys in SOF don't get time to recover and that doesn't help; especially when you figure the command is trying to fill missions. Now today things are better, you have assigned PT's, doctors who understand what your body and mind set is, so they try and provide overhead cover to the command and make sure you aren't just run into the ground; but the desire to be with your team is still what it is.

As far as doing whatever to OBL's body I really don't care; other than did it effect the mission time schedule and safety of your guys. Geneva Convention only applies to those who actually sign and not the pieces of garbage who try and hide behind it. Was it right what they did, if they did it? Probably not but who cares; dude was a piece of garbage and if you think that the US following some protocol that the enemy will never follow makes a difference you are just plain ignorant. You don't have to like it; but many of the folks we fight over there are just evil animals. Here is just a minor example of 1 situation. On one tour we had a guy who was HIG and he owned a business. He would send out the area men to work days drive away. Once the men were gone he raped their daughters and wife's. Was he threat to us, not really he would do whatever he thought was best for him. Killing him though made a difference in the community and sent a message; not to mention helped those poor females out. I could go on and on about a number of things; my overall point is just because you read a book or watch a show don't think you know about the people and mind set of guys in SOF. Like some have said until your doing it you have no idea what it is like.

I hope the braggadocio of this "look-at-me" guy doesn't get hundreds (or more) of innocent Americans killed. But this can't be helpful or well-advised.

Reactions: FSUTribe76

The Marines I knew in Peru were not strangers to the Bolivian marching powder. I don't think any of them were in the SF, but I never knew. Nice guys, drove nice cars and had nice girls.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
As far as doing whatever to OBL's body I really don't care; other than did it effect the mission time schedule and safety of your guys. Geneva Convention only applies to those who actually sign and not the pieces of garbage who try and hide behind it. Was it right what they did, if they did it? Probably not but who cares; dude was a piece of garbage and if you think that the US following some protocol that the enemy will never follow makes a difference you are just plain ignorant.
Shocking that these men with all their discipline and codes of honor can't see far enough into the future to understand the consequence of their actions in the event they became public.

Reactions: phillienole
So many things to cover here. First and foremost, we(the SEAL community) thoroughly despise any form of self promotion! "The deed is all, not the glory" has been a long standing mantra within the teams.
I served with Rob back at ST-2, he was always a little goofy but then again, we all are. I also recently attended a luncheon where he was the guest speaker. He did not know that other Frogs would be attending and it caught him off guard for sure. I observed him "living the dream" as the Man who shot OBL, taking pictures, having people thank him and whatnot. I must say it pissed me off. Not because I was jealous, just because I know the truth behind that Op and so many others. He was simply in the right place at the right time. In other words, the man who is the number one man entering the building is never the number one man by the end of the Op. He was just lucky to be that guy at that time entering that room.
More so it pissed me off because I know of far better men that him or I that never made it home. Be the quiet professional for them, honor them and the Ethos that they lived by.

As far as being PNG. yes, you wont see any of the book, movie, CNN & Fox news guys at any of our events. They know that they are not welcome and deep down inside they know that they betrayed our Ethos for money, fame and so on. They are as close to Judas in the Teams as possible.

Now, as far as the "breaking news" about the drug problem in the teams? Look at the source. The 3 "inside sources" were all kicked out of the Teams and the Navy. Can anyone guess what for? Yep, drugs! So this is their way to try to tarnish the reputation of the Teams, since they could not hold up their end of the Ethos. The media is simply playing it up to boost ratings and clicks(imagine that!).

I want you to know that every day and every night, SEALS and other members of SOCOM are out doing the deed with no fanfare, publicity or anything else. They simply believe in the old school mantra, "the deed is all, not the glory".

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT