ADVERTISEMENT

So who was it who said Bill O'Reilly wasn't a liar?

This thread should go well.
smile.r191677.gif

Originally posted by tolkien1:
This thread should go well.
smile.r191677.gif
Should fall right in line with the way the Oscars thread turned.

Shaping up to be an interesting Tuesday in the LR.

I already brought this up in the Brian Williams thread... NDR and Belem both commented, but those that came to Bill's defense did not. Although they may not have seen/realized the conversation had turned back to him.

And I agree, Bill's lies, and the way he used them, is far worse than BW.

But I also agree with some of the points that Belem and NDR made, that no one really thought Bill was anything more than a blowhard, and honesty had nothing to do with his reputation.

Bill makes money on being antagonistic though, so even if he is proven to be lying, it still supports his antagonistic behavior by staying on the air. If he were to take himself off, like BW did, it would almost undercut his perception among his fans IMO.

page 2

I don't really care either way, but that reads like an Onion article.

*Reports confirm that the city was a smoldering pile of broken bones, tear gas, and fire; but it was not so bad*
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Is O'Reilly considered a journalist? I don't think he's really been in that profession since the 80s, since before he was on Inside Edition.

The media is so funny how they go after certain storylines and make a huge deal out of potentially what was or wasn't said years ago. I am no O'Reilly fan- I think fox is hilarious until I realize many watch it as true news (MSNBC and its fans are just as bad the other way) but all this "lets dig up every story ever told and fact check it and dissect what was or wasnt," is insane.

The hours spent investigating BW and BO would be much better spent looking at actual issues of today that will impact all of our lives rather than pissing matches of egos and agendas from 30 years ago.

Originally posted by NoleHitterThru8:
Is O'Reilly considered a journalist? I don't think he's really been in that profession since the 80s, since before he was on Inside Edition.
Not defending O'Reilly because I really dont care but comparing BO and BW is asinine.

Originally posted by hatsbo:
A FSUTribe record for the shortest post{four words} has just shattered the old record of 242 words. In before the lock.
laugh.r191677.gif

So true. We'll never see a short post like his OP again probably.

No, BO and BW aren't the same. Kind of like comparing a sportscenter anchor to one of the PTI guys; if you expand the umbrella big enough they are comparable. But maybe if Bill hadn't gone in so hard on BW, he wouldn't be getting caught up in all of this?

I watched and listened to some of his show last night and walked away thinking he had told the truth. He had some dude on his show that he worked with down there and this guy was an NBC exec. and backed up BO's claim. I don't know, but the video showed a pretty crazy place down there. They also went after the David Korn guy and evidently he is a fraud as well. Oh well people lie everyday and will continue to.

Originally posted by 321Nole:
Seems like BO is getting called out for exaggerating, while BW flat out made up a fake event.
He said he was literally on the FI covering the war, when in fact there were literally no American journalists at all on the FI during the war. Not to mention he said he had a gun pointed directly at him.

His lies are almost exactly the same as BW's in some ways. Although, BW was actually in Iraq at some point.

The only claim I saw was that he was in Buenos Aires. Did you see a legit quote from him saying he was in the FI?

For the record, I would still trust BW more than BO but I don't think this is what it is being made out to be.

Seems like BO is getting called out for exaggerating, while BW flat out made up a fake event.
It's more than that. At least as far as I'm aware, the BW issue is confined to one and only one story. And helicopters did get shot at shortly before, just not his. Meanwhile BO has a long history of lying, his "warzone coverage where people were mowed down" which was actually apparently a relatively nonviolent protest (at least no one was shot or killed per everyone else) is just one story. He also lied throughout his autobiography from being from a lower middle class family (in reality just his father alone made three times the national average), was a star football player (in reality backup punter for a nonscholarship intermural team), so on and so forth.

The only claim I saw was that he was in Buenos Aires. Did you see a legit quote from him saying he was in the FI?

For the record, I would still trust BW more than BO but I don't think this is what it is being made out to be.
From the original Mother Jones article:

In his 2001 book, The No Spin Zone: Confrontations With the Powerful and Famous in America, O'Reilly stated, "You know that I am not easily shocked. I've reported on the ground in active war zones from El Salvador to the Falklands."

Conservative journalist Tucker Carlson, in a 2003 book, described how O'Reilly answered a question during a Washington panel discussion about media coverage of the Afghanistan war: "Rather than simply answer the question, O'Reilly began by trying to establish his own bona fides as a war correspondent. 'I've covered wars, okay? I've been there. The Falklands, Northern Ireland, the Middle East. I've almost been killed three times, okay.'"

In a 2004 column about US soldiers fighting in Iraq, O'Reilly noted, "Having survived a combat situation in Argentina during the Falklands war, I know that life-and-death decisions are made in a flash."

In 2008, he took a shot at journalist Bill Moyers, saying, "I missed Moyers in the war zones of [the] Falkland conflict in Argentina, the Middle East, and Northern Ireland. I looked for Bill, but I didn't see him."

There are other stories that seem to be outright lies or embellishments at best.

link

Originally posted by runkpanole:
Everybody is in on the act.
That's close enough where I'm sure ponch and other "real" special forces would have an issue with it but since he was ranger trained and in the 82nd airborn I and probably most of the other lay people will just shrug our shoulders and say he was just trying to connect with that homeless vet.

Originally posted by FSUTribe76:

It's more than that. At least as far as I'm aware, the BW issue is confined to one and only one story. And helicopters did get shot at shortly before, just not his. Meanwhile BO has a long history of lying, his "warzone coverage where people were mowed down" which was actually apparently a relatively nonviolent protest (at least no one was shot or killed per everyone else) is just one story. He also lied throughout his autobiography from being from a lower middle class family (in reality just his father alone made three times the national average), was a star football player (in reality backup punter for a nonscholarship intermural team), so on and so forth.
I've seen people question BW on his Katrina stories and some of the other stories involving SEALs (IIRC).

So it isn't just this one Iraq story with BW, FWIW.

Tribe, the story you posted specifically said that someone was shot.
With rubber bullets not live fire. No one was "mowed down" in a "war zone", it was police dealing with a protest.

http://fair.org/blog/2015/02/21/bill-oreilly-lies-but-some-lies-matter-more-than-others/

Tribe, the article also says a journalist was wounded by gunfire.

Tommy, the quotes you posted look more damning to BO than anything in the mother jones article.

Tommy, the quotes you posted look more damning to BO than anything in the mother jones article.
In the same paragraph as the police firing rubber bullets I believe without pulling up the article again. Without something intervening saying it was a live round the legal interpretation of that paragraph would be that a reporter was hit in the leg and wounded with a rubber bullet (some people even die from them, they're hard rubber afterall just not intended to be deadly just like tasers which inadvertently kill). Plus no other article says there was live deadly rounds being fired.

Bill can argue that he's been in some hairy situations, but that was not a "war zone". The treaty was signed, the war was over, there were no soldiers in the city or within 1000 miles of him. He's a liar.

Those were from the original MJ article. The article in the OP is a follow up of sorts.

I don't think O'Reilly and Williams are comparable. O'Reilly is an entertainer for conservatives and an antagonist. He's a new Morton Downy, Jr. He already has zero credibility with liberals, and conservatives don't care about his veracity. He really doesn't have a need for credibility. I would say the same for Keith Olbermann or Bill Maher. They are entertainers. and

Brian Williams however is supposed to be for everyone. The public in general is supposed to find him credible, and what he tells the public on his newscast is supposed to be believable. He's supposed to be informing, and as such, credibility is an issue.

All that said...I am not particularly disturbed by Williams' story. I don't exactly get it...his life is more interesting than 98.9% of people's lives anyway, without making up such a story. The story doesn't even add much to his career chops either...who really cares if his plane or the plane up ahead took fire when he is delivering unemployment numbers. I think the guy just got caught up in being a personality and raconteur...his frequent comedy cameos indicate that he wants to be more than a stuffed shirt.

But it's a lie that to me doesn't particularly inform his credibility as an anchor...it doesn't paint a situation or environment in a dishonest way...it's just an odd attempt to have a better story about himself. I'm not nearly as up in arms about it as everyone else.

Originally posted by Nole Lou:

I don't think O'Reilly and Williams are comparable. O'Reilly is an entertainer for conservatives and an antagonist. He's a new Morton Downy, Jr. He already has zero credibility with liberals, and conservatives don't care about his veracity. He really doesn't have a need for credibility. I would say the same for Keith Olbermann or Bill Maher. They are entertainers. and

Brian Williams however is supposed to be for everyone. The public in general is supposed to find him credible, and what he tells the public on his newscast is supposed to be believable. He's supposed to be informing, and as such, credibility is an issue.

All that said...I am not particularly disturbed by Williams' story. I don't exactly get it...his life is more interesting than 98.9% of people's lives anyway, without making up such a story. The story doesn't even add much to his career chops either...who really cares if his plane or the plane up ahead took fire when he is delivering unemployment numbers. I think the guy just got caught up in being a personality and raconteur...his frequent comedy cameos indicate that he wants to be more than a stuffed shirt.

But it's a lie that to me doesn't particularly inform his credibility as an anchor...it doesn't paint a situation or environment in a dishonest way...it's just an odd attempt to have a better story about himself. I'm not nearly as up in arms about it as everyone else.
Ehhhh.... I'm with you on a lot of this, but not that...

BW and BO aren't exactly the same, and I agree that BO is an entertainer, mostly, but he's a news entertainer. Let's not act like he's up there tap dancing or telling jokes.

I do agree though, I didn't get all the hullabaloo over BW's lies in relation to his job. However, BO used his over and over to yell down other people's points, as though his experience in a warzone made his arguments (about whatever) more valid than someone who hadn't been in one.

Which isn't criminal or all that egregious either, it's just really dickish and annoying. Like people who immediately shoot down your opinion about something, simply because you haven't had to do it yet. I mean, I get that I've never worked in a professional kitchen before, but that doesn't mean I can't critique the food.

So another lie he was apparently caught in was where in his "autobiography" BO said he was present during one of Oswald's witnesses suicide.

http://www.politico.com/blogs/media/2015/02/media-matters-oreilly-lied-about-florida-suicide-203052.html

"In his book "Killing Kennedy" and in several other appearances, O'Reilly has said that as a reporter for the Dallas-based station WFAA-TV he was on the porch of de Mohrenschildt's daughter's house in Palm Beach, Florida, when he heard de Mohrenschildt shoot himself with a shotgun in March of 1977.

"At the time, de Mohrenschildt had been called to testify before a congressional committee looking into the events of November 1963. As the reporter knocked on the door of de Mohrenschildt's daughter's home, he heard the shotgun blast that marked the suicide of the Russian, assuring that his relationship with Lee Harvey Oswald would never be fully understood. By the way, that reporter's name is Bill O'Reilly," O'Reilly wrote in the 2012 book.

Two former colleagues of O'Reilly's at WFAA-TV, Byron Harris and Tracy Rowlett, told Media Matters O'Reilly was in Dallas at the time of de Mohrenschildt's suicide.

Media Matters also points to the autobiography of Gaeton Fonzi, an investigator on the House Select Committee on Assassinations, who wrote that O'Reilly called him to ask about the assassination.

"About 6:30 that evening I received a call from Bill O'Reilly, a friend who was then a television reporter in Dallas. 'Funny thing happened,' he said. 'We just aired a story that come over the wire about a Dutch journalist saying the Assassinations Committee has finally located de Mohrenschildt in South Florida. Now de Mohrenschildt's attorney, a guy named Pat Russell, he calls and says de Mohrenschildt committed suicide this afternoon. Is that true?" Fonzi wrote.

Taped telephone conversations between Fonzi and O'Reilly also reportedly have O'Reilly telling Fonzi that he "has been trying to run down the story by telephone from Texas" but that he'd be heading to Florida to investigate it further"

I've stopped watching almost all of the Fox lineup but I still watch when O'Reilly has on two segments each week - Watters World and the segment on Friday with McGuirk and Gutfeld. They make me laugh, and O'Reilly is not the central figure.

Once those segments are over I change the channel back to whatever I was watching previously. He's become completely overbearing and a loudmouth bully. My sister and I were yelling at him too much that he was full of Irish blarney, which we are expert judges at by the way, and we're calling shenanigans way too much on this guy.

Tribe did you make the cut?
Media Matters' @davidbrockdc and @beychok tell me all of their researchers (roughly 45) are on the O'Reilly effort: LINK

Originally posted by RTM58:

Tribe did you make the cut?
Media Matters' @davidbrockdc and @beychok tell me all of their researchers (roughly 45) are on the O'Reilly effort: LINK
Nope but I would if they called me out of the woodwork (I haven't been a nonsports "journalist" since I left FSU and the Florida Flambeau (before it was destroyed by merging with FSView) and I haven't even done sports journalism in about....five to ten years. But I'd come back to take a whack at the ole lying blowhard. I would point out though that I called him out as a known liar back on the BW thread long before Media Matters or Huffpo was on the case. All of this "came out" afterwards.

And speaking as a lawyer...I appreciate his and Fox's carefully crafted explanation as to the "I saw a bunch of nuns shot before my eyes" explanation. What he REALLY meant when he was using that to prop himself up as a real journalist with real harrowing experience was...."I watched it on video to prepare myself before going there". So he DID watch a bunch of nuns blown away....on tape.

Using this logic, I can fully and completely say that I have personally seen the horrors of war with people blown up by rocket launchers, American troops taken out with snipers, terrorists blown up via Apache helicopters, saw our special forces take out terrorists with our own snipers, watched American convoys taken out in ambushes and more with my very own eyes.....on tape via Liveleak.

Who knew that %*%* you watched on tape went towards beefing up your journo creds. By that token I am an absolute expert in the ways of lesbian sexuality and should be an honored guest speaker at the next NOW convention.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT