ADVERTISEMENT

Southwest fliers

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
I'll probably be taking Southwest pretty regularly from now on but have only flown them a couple times. To those of you that are Southwest regulars, what are some of your tips and recommendations for getting best fares, best seats, maximizing points, etc.?

Thanks in advance

With Southwest, I've always heard the best time to book for cheaper fares is on Monday or Tuesday nights.

Their better seating is for Business Select ticket holders and the fares are usually 15-30 bucks higher IIRC.

Business travel? I always purchase the business select, which gets you 12 points for ever dollar spend and an A1-15. I have been an A+ Preferred Member for a long time and have gotten a companion pass 4 of the last 5 years (companion pass is 110,000 points in a year). Once you move up their status (A-plus, A-plus preferred) the computer will start placing you in a higher group without having to worry about buying the early bird checkin--if you do not purchase Business Select.

Do you have to have their credit card to get the 12X points? I just got the chase sapphire preferred so I could use it at a few different places.

I do not know what bonus their credit card provides.
Business Select Tickets are 12x, Regular fair are 10x and One Wanna Get Away are 6x (I think). After I go to NOLA on Monday, I'll be at over 70K points for the year, so another companion pass on the way. With the International wing at Hobby opening up this year, it will very possible to sneak away to the Caribbean or Mexico for a short trip for super cheap. Last year we went to Aruba for a total of 45K points. The companion pass works even if you are using points.

Fiji has it nailed. Credit card holders get a point per dollar spent and 2 per dollar spent on Southwest or their business partners. I may make A list this year for the first time because I have bought more Business Select seats. I fly a decent amount but try to keep costs down even when work is paying.

Another great benefit is if a seat is for sale, then it is eligible to cash points in for. No blackout dates. The more a seat is the more points it will be but they are all available.

Not a lot of bells and whistles once you are on the plane (no champagne, no first class seating) but the service and ease of loyalty program use is why I stick with them.

And like Fiji said, they are really expanding service in the Caribbean so that's a big deal for us.

I fly SWA exclusively every week. In PHX getting ready to board my non stop SWA flight to Orlando. This is my second year flying with them and I have already earned companion status for next year. Getting the credit card will help you get status and companion pass much quicker. Like the poster above said, your companion (can be changed three times a year) can fly anywhere with you as long as a seat is available. I fly SWA because it enables me and my wife to fly anywhere SWA flies for free and they are always on time. Just don't get stuck boarding in B or C group and you'll not gate the experience. Also, you will be flying primarily with casual travelers and families not business travelers.

I fly SWA exclusively every week. In PHX getting ready to board my non stop SWA flight to Orlando. This is my second year flying with them and I have already earned companion status for next year. Getting the credit card will help you get status and companion pass much quicker. Like the poster above said, your companion (can be changed three times a year) can fly anywhere with you as long as a seat is available. I fly SWA because it enables me and my wife to fly anywhere SWA flies for free and they are always on time. Just don't get stuck boarding in B or C group and you'll not gate the experience. Also, you will be flying primarily with casual travelers and families not business travelers.

If you are an A+ or A+ Preferred statusyou can always board after the A group if you get a B or C. I remember when the free tickets were printed and sent to you.

Last edited:
I usually change flights because I don't quite now how long the day will be. So, I can end up with a B or even a C if I move to an earlier flight. The jumping on after the A group boards is a nice benefit as is being able to move around flights.

SW regularly wins awards for best reward program. I'm sitting on 300,000 points right now.

Damn, I usually average between 150K and 200K but I use my points for friends and family to go places on the holiday. Back in the day, SW would send you an actual ticket/award. There was a place in Dallas that would buy them. Come Christmas time, it was a good way to supplement income for a very nice Christmas.

print_swa.gif

Reactions: pauldNole
Damn, I usually average between 150K and 200K but I use my points for friends and family to go places on the holiday. Back in the day, SW would send you an actual ticket/award. There was a place in Dallas that would buy them. Come Christmas time, it was a good way to supplement income for a very nice Christmas.

I never go anywhere unless its for my job. It seems like we always travel so when I have time to do nothing I like being home at the beach.

Reactions: sloth43
ADVERTISEMENT