ADVERTISEMENT

Spurrier has His Feelings Hurt

Voxvertis

All-ACC
Sep 1, 2013
Steve Spurrier had his feelings hurt when some sports writer out of Georgia wrote an article
about the old HBC now being "too old" to coach at South Carolina. My goodness how the worm
has turned! Those of us old enough to remember back to the late 90's , when Bobby was approaching
his 70th birthday, Steve always trying to use bobby's age against him. His aim was to try and
sow seeds of doubt in recruits minds that Bobby was on his way out. "If you go there, and Bobby
leaves, where does that leave you? The new coach won't even know your name." It now appears that Steve lost a few prized recruits last February and suspects that these recruits may have listened to the rumors
about Steve getting ready to retire and chose to take their game elsewhere.
In an effort to convince everyone that he still "has it", Steve called a presser and did his best to assure
everyone in earshot that he doesn't plan on going anywhere. Such phrases as "body and mind of a 55 year old",
and "I'm planning on coaching for a long time" seemed to be the cries of a man who realizes that time is catching up to him but want's to deny it. I think that Steve is still a great coach. He is right to feel that there those who now use his age against him. But his whining in public is amusing. Bobby has to be rolling on the floor laughing his butt off.
You can see Steve's presser on the Gamecock's Rival website.

Last edited:
guy who wrote the column is Mark Bradley out of Atlanta. It was actually fairly even or complimentary. So much so that the SC paper in Colombia ran it in their sports page. Not only did ole Shiny pants freak out about it, but he called a Nixon-esqe press conference. Guy really sounds like he is off his meds.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT