ADVERTISEMENT

Storming the court

shabass

All-ACC
Oct 4, 2006
Thoughts? I don't see the problem. You've 10,000+ that are happy they beat a top 10 team. Now the cops are involved?

On a side note, anyone think Kansas State (13-15) beats #8 Kansas (22-5) on a neutral floor? Nah-ah. Kansas is a far superior school. What was the difference last night? The crowd was nuts. Before, during, and after. They were electric. Kansas State is an afterthought for the NCAA tournament. In fact, there isn't even a sniff of them in the Bubble Watch on ESPN. They are awful. But they pull the miracle and beat a top 10 team. Anyone who doesn't think the lack of fans at The Donald affects our home court ADVANTAGE is missing out on one of the biggest factors in college basketball.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/12374329/kansas-state-wildcats-ad-apologizes-kansas-jayhawks-court-storming

Organize the chaos. KSU was totally unprepared and it sincerely put Ku players and coaches in danger. Maybe not like a prison riot, but tempers can flair and physical injuries can occur. One Ku player was hip checked.

Let the away team off the court first. Usher them out safely.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Nothing wrong with storming the court. Remember when Ole Miss upset Bama this year? The fans stormed the field and the goalposts came down.

The suits and bean counters are always going to be more concerned with financial liability, I see some serious efforts to end this coming soon. When some moron can sue McDonalds successfully because they spilled a hot cup of coffee on themselves the ambulance chasers are going to ruin a lot of fun activities. Sucks but society has become very litigious (see EK vs JW and FSU).
This post was edited on 2/24 2:44 PM by Calif_Nole

There has to be restraints and the safety of the opposing players and coaches MUST be the first priority.

Can you imagine being a player for one of the top teams and losing in a nail biter…then, when you are already ticked off, a fan of the opposing school comes running by and shoves an elbow in your ribs? You're gonna go off on him.

Heck, the KSU coach had to unpin Bill Self from the scorers table…he was wedged in a couldn't get free. Also, a KSU assistant grabbed one of the fans in a headlock because he was going off on the KU players on the court….

If the fans weren't complete idiots, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

Im in the minority, but I always thought it was dumb to rush the court or field. Its become cliche.

I'm not for it, at least at FSU. We have beaten the Dukes and UNCs enough times in the past decade that I feel we should expect to have a decent shot at winning those games. Storming the court is for fan bases that never have anything to celebrate.

We stormed the court after putting a 40 point beat down on UNC during our ACC Championship season. I don't care what they were ranked, that kind of smack down means it wasn't an upset.

I hate to see kids enthusiasim and happiness curtailed but in todays litiguous society the schools cannot let this go unchecked. If schools make no effort to protect the people at the game they are just as liable, in the court's eyes, as if they had no fire protection or railings on the upper decks, etc. Some athletic program is going to be looking a $100 million judgement in the face if they don't try and stop what so many consider a dangerous practice. It sucks but it's the real world we live in today.

Originally posted by shabass:
Thoughts? I don't see the problem. You've 10,000+ that are happy they beat a top 10 team. Now the cops are involved?

On a side note, anyone think Kansas State (13-15) beats #8 Kansas (22-5) on a neutral floor? Nah-ah. Kansas is a far superior school. What was the difference last night? The crowd was nuts. Before, during, and after. They were electric. Kansas State is an afterthought for the NCAA tournament. In fact, there isn't even a sniff of them in the Bubble Watch on ESPN. They are awful. But they pull the miracle and beat a top 10 team. Anyone who doesn't think the lack of fans at The Donald affects our home court ADVANTAGE is missing out on one of the biggest factors in college basketball.
We always have a massive home court advantage whenever a team like Kansas comes to Tally (Duke, UNC, Florida etc.). The only exception being when we schedule Florida during Christmas break and that's on Hamilton for being so stubborn about that game. It should always be the same weekend as the football game and the atmosphere used to be electric when it was scheduled then.

Like FSU, Kansas St. doesn't have a big home court advantage when they play regular teams. They've lost games to Texas Southern, UGA, West Virginia, and Texas all at home this year and I'd be willing to bet the atmosphere was nothing like last night at any of those games.

Sure, it would be nice for us to sell out and have a raucous crowd every single game but it's just not realistic. Having a team that's fun to watch and/or wins consistently wouldn't totally solve our attendance problems but it sure would help.

Originally posted by SamENole:

We always have a massive home court advantage whenever a team like Kansas comes to Tally (Duke, UNC, Florida etc.). The only exception being when we schedule Florida during Christmas break and that's on Hamilton for being so stubborn about that game. It should always be the same weekend as the football game and the atmosphere used to be electric when it was scheduled then.

Like FSU, Kansas St. doesn't have a big home court advantage when they play regular teams. They've lost games to Texas Southern, UGA, West Virginia, and Texas all at home this year and I'd be willing to bet the atmosphere was nothing like last night at any of those games.

Sure, it would be nice for us to sell out and have a raucous crowd every single game but it's just not realistic. Having a team that's fun to watch and/or wins consistently wouldn't totally solve our attendance problems but it sure would help.
I really did not know ham did all the scheduleing i guees the restt of the acc has to wait till ham does it then lol .. pretty sure am has not say in this

Originally posted by fsujl11:

I really did not know ham did all the scheduleing i guees the restt of the acc has to wait till ham does it then lol .. pretty sure am has not say in this
You serious? It's common knowledge that Hamilton has wanted the Florida basketball game separate from the football game and that's why it's been during Christmas break or various other times in years that we host the game. Whenever it's in Gainesville it's always the night before the football game with the exception of 1-2 times when either UF or FSU has been involved in a holiday tournament during that same weekend.

Ham may not do all of the non-conference scheduling himself but he absolutely has a say in it and is 100% the reason the UF game is not scheduled during football weekend. I can almost guarantee that once we get a new coach you'll see it move back to that weekend like it was prior to Ham's arrival.

Right. We do have massive crowd vs Duke, UNC. What I'm referring to is if we actually had a quality crowd for teams like Clemson whos middle of the pack ACC and beat us at The Donald. We had a great crowd for Duke, and it showed. We only lost by 3 and they are much more than 3 points better than us. If we had that kind of crowd every week we would only lose 1-2 home games a year. Clemson is a rivalry game, has been ahead of us in the standings all year, etc. They arent UNC or Duke but that is a game that we should have people at. The reason we don't is no one actually cares about FSU basketball. Yet people get on message boards and sqwuak about how bad our program, coach, etc. are. Yes, if we had better home attendance, it would indeed affect our record, recruiting, etc.

As a KU fan, I'm just happy with the way Bill Self handled the presser. If that happened to Coach K or Beheim holy crap the whining that would ensue.

Coach K is on record saying he has no problem with students storming the court as long as the safety of the visiting players is addressed--so pretty much what Bill Self said last night.

And then there is old Roy Williams, who, in 2012. actually left the floor at the Tuck with all of his starters and the majority of his coaching staff during a stoppage in the last few seconds to avoid the storming. He left 5 walk-ons and non-starters behind, presumably because they were expendable.

Originally posted by DevilNole83:
Coach K is on record saying he has no problem with students storming the court as long as the safety of the visiting players is addressed--so pretty much what Bill Self said last night.

And then there is old Roy Williams, who, in 2012. actually left the floor at the Tuck with all of his starters and the majority of his coaching staff during a stoppage in the last few seconds to avoid the storming. He left 5 walk-ons and non-starters behind, presumably because they were expendable.
Williams told his assistant Steve Robinson to take over since he had so much experience losing games on that court.

Originally posted by MIKE_G:
Originally posted by DevilNole83:

Williams told his assistant Steve Robinson to take over since he had so much experience losing games on that court.
Well played.

Originally posted by Calif_Nole:

The suits and bean counters are always going to be more concerned with financial liability, I see some serious efforts to end this coming soon. When some moron can sue McDonalds successfully because they spilled a hot cup of coffee on themselves the ambulance chasers are going to ruin a lot of fun activities. Sucks but society has become very litigious (see EK vs JW and FSU).
This post was edited on 2/24 2:44 PM by Calif_Nole
I totally get where you're trying to go with your comments, but don't buy into the McDonalds thing...it's not at all what you think...take a look -

http://www.hotcoffeethemovie.com/Default.asp
or
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liebeck_v._McDonald%27s_Restaurants

if you're bill self, go coach in the nba if you dont want to deal with it.

it's college tradition, who cares

It will become a problem when some drunk A-hole gets in a players face and gets knocked out. Will make the malicious in the palace look tame, well maybe not

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT