littleitch1

Seminole Insider
Nov 26, 2008
Brainvision mentioned eating a “street” hot dog in the junk food thread

Made me think of the street vendors, concession stands etc

I’m not a fan of eating from these types of food venues, in fact I rarely do

To me it’s the same as seeing people get wings, pizza and hot dogs from a 7-11

I don’t trust it

I think it comes from a time long ago on a construction site where the roach coach would sell food
The trucks were elevated so the customers were eye level with the girls inside
It was my turn to order something and I looked up and noticed tons of knots flying around the girls crotch area

Not trying to be gross here but since that day I won’t buy food products from vendors
Only unopened beverages

So do you folks eat from those vendors?

Reactions: BrianNole777
Did you ever get ill from them?

Just asking cause I’m thinking I’m maybe missing out on something good

If you haven't had street food outside the US your missing out. Japan, Korea, Thialand, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and most of Europe all have amazing and cheap street food. I don't eat at restaurants when I leave the country.

If you haven't had street food outside the US your missing out. Japan, Korea, Thialand, Singapore, Saudi Arabia, Turkey and most of Europe all have amazing and cheap street food. I don't eat at restaurants when I leave the country.
So true. I think my classmates and I lived off yakitori and ramen in Japan, not to mention Taipei. That was good stuff.

Now I either make that stuff or go to Midtown Noodle bar for their pork spring rolls. I highly recommend them. Their food is authentic, and it's good.

As a young Marine Officer in Okinawa (1979-80), my family (wife, two young sons) lived in a local village outside of Ginowan City----on weekends we frequently ate food from the local food carts and open air restaurants with no problems; both of my sons (ages 6 and 2 at the time) had healthy shocks of blonde hair which many of the older Okinawans would politely ask to touch for good luck. Great experience!

Just returned from Europe and can attest the best food I have ever eaten. Pork knuckle and sausages from the street vendors was AMAZING!!

As a young Marine Officer in Okinawa (1979-80), my family (wife, two young sons) lived in a local village outside of Ginowan City----on weekends we frequently ate food from the local food carts and open air restaurants with no problems; both of my sons (ages 6 and 2 at the time) had healthy shocks of blonde hair which many of the older Okinawans would politely ask to touch for good luck. Great experience!
That's a great story. I have weird colored eyes, so I used to get people getting very close to me to study my eyes. (Ano, honto?), and get patted on the head a lot on the train. Luckily we were advised that this was very likely to happen, and not to be alarmed.

Brainvision mentioned eating a “street” hot dog in the junk food thread

Made me think of the street vendors, concession stands etc

I’m not a fan of eating from these types of food venues, in fact I rarely do

To me it’s the same as seeing people get wings, pizza and hot dogs from a 7-11

I don’t trust it

I think it comes from a time long ago on a construction site where the roach coach would sell food
The trucks were elevated so the customers were eye level with the girls inside
It was my turn to order something and I looked up and noticed tons of knots flying around the girls crotch area

Not trying to be gross here but since that day I won’t buy food products from vendors
Only unopened beverages

So do you folks eat from those vendors?
Lots of knots? Tons of tied skrings? Flights of flies flittering around?

Food truck, or street food, can be pretty solid grub.
You should get over it.

Reactions: bcherod
Not even once. I mean I don’t feel great after eating a quarter pound hot dog wrapped in a quarter pound of bacon slathered in mayonnaise and hot sauce and topped with a pile of grilled jalapeños and onions, but I do not think that has anything to do with how clean the grill is. You are definitely missing out.
“…slathered in mayonnaise…”
Truth.
Agree with food truck foodies.
I hit one that a Peruvian lady runs fairly often.
Good stuff.n

Last edited:
Reactions: bcherod
I absolutely love street food. I first experienced it at FSU: I would get a dirty water hot dog "drug through the garden" from the guy who set up next to Landis Green almost everyday for lunch. After drinking at Poor Paul's, I would typically stop by the "Sidewalk BBQ" guy for a rack of ribs "made spicy."

Out here, I pass half a dozen different sidewalk tacos al pastor stands on my evening commute. They are all different, and they are all delicious. My partner goes to a frutas cart outside of her hospital almost everyday for an afternoon snack. We are also blessed to have the massive street food festivals every week, from the high end ones to the traditional Asian night markets.

Food trucks, I put into an entirely different category. Those are essentially specialty small restaurants on wheels that have some of the best, most unique food in the city.
Poor Paul’s. Thanks for the memory.
Darts, pool, and the Superman in the ladies room. Yep.
I had a Monday (?) night Lowenbrau tee shirt from there.

Cambodian food truck with stir fry in RR square pre covid was great. I haven't seen them for awhile. The food trucks need to come back to Lake Ella,

Some things have not gotten back to normal in Tallahassee. The Jamaican food truck is awesome and doing well.

I imagine the lobster roll people from Miami are doing well, because the prices are 3x what one would pay in New England, but hey, Maine lobster has some shipping costs involved.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT