ADVERTISEMENT

Tallahassee plane landing in middle of boulevard

Spearchucker87

Starter
Sep 3, 2001
http://www.wtxl.com/news/plane-make...cle_f51bd1c2-3692-11e5-8613-331aa22939a4.html

Capitol Circle that is. Luckily it was at 2:10 in morning and in the Southwood area, a quiet part of town that closes down early. You can drive it at 11:00 and see long stretches of free roadway

Pilot was on his way cross country from Texas, and somehow scheduled his late night fuel stop at a now-closed airport north of the city. Decided to try and make TIA but ran out of gas. It's got to be a pretty easy plane to glide, but at night and trying to manuever into position on a roadway, he had to be sweating bullets. Lucky to be alive.......Bet he won't make that mistake again.

Last edited:
If he didn't have enough fuel to get from US 27 north to Capital Circle SW, he was essentially flying on empty. Wouldn't you schedule your fuel stop closer to Pensacola or PCB?

They do actually have International flights from Tallahassee now. Friend of mine took one to Canada yesterday. Was the first I'd heard of. Its primarily now International to allow state officials to land in Tallahassee when travelling out of the country on state business instead of having to land first in somewhere like Atlanta, be processed through TSA and then fly to Tallahassee. Apparently it only requires one TSA agent who is allowed to process incoming passports at a salary of 50k. They did also expand the runway however to allow for larger jets to land, so we may see a few International flights coming in.

They do actually have International flights from Tallahassee now. Friend of mine took one to Canada yesterday. Was the first I'd heard of. Its primarily now International to allow state officials to land in Tallahassee when travelling out of the country on state business instead of having to land first in somewhere like Atlanta, be processed through TSA and then fly to Tallahassee. Apparently it only requires one TSA agent who is allowed to process incoming passports at a salary of 50k. They did also expand the runway however to allow for larger jets to land, so we may see a few International flights coming in.
Customs, not TSA. TLH already had TSA for security screening.

I wouldn't really consider this the Southwood area. I live in that area and it sounds more like the other side of Capital Circle.

As for the International designation, it just happened last month and the primary reason was that people could fly cargo in and out with ease. Of course, with the City of Tallahassee, I am not holding my breath on big economic expansion due to this change.

Also, until I can find flights for less than $400, I'll pass on flying in and out of Tallahassee. I booked tickets to Boston out of Ajax for $223. Tallahassee for the same days was $550.

I wouldn't really consider this the Southwood area. I live in that area and it sounds more like the other side of Capital Circle.

Sorry, I was thinking of the point where Orange Ave crosses CapCirc, but it says a mile south of Orange...... so probably that stretch where you're approaching the flea market heading west. That part is still pretty deserted, but it's also much narrower than the 6-lane areas. Yep, that's exactly what the photo looks like. He was in the 2-lane area, which is also less well lit at night. Now I get why he ended up hitting a tree.

KC, your friend sounds like a real douche bag.

Also, until I can find flights for less than $400, I'll pass on flying in and out of Tallahassee. I booked tickets to Boston out of Ajax for $223. Tallahassee for the same days was $550.
i fly to boston for work 5-6 times per year. Actually in Boston now. Flights out of tally always cost $390 for me, but I try to book 3-4 weeks in advance, if not more.

$223 is a good price though. I'd drive to Jax at that rate if I was paying for my own tix.

I dont understand how he could assume a refuel at that spot. Don't you have to make arrangements beforehand?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT