ADVERTISEMENT

Thanksgiving, football and Covid....

Noledog92

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
FSU made the absolute correct decision. I’m in health care and can tell you that covid spreads like wildfire. Don’t need a bunch of students going home and infecting their families.

Will the players actually go home though? I agree with your sentiment just wondering what FSU's policy will be

Who knows what happens next with the covid/budget crises? The situation is fluid and FSU seems to be going week by week as is unavoidable.

John Thrasher recommended that regular students go home for Thanksgiving and don't come back until January.

David Coburn said sports programs will cease normal activities after Thanksgiving except for football and basketball.

It's a nightmare, for all we know the football team experiences a outbreak this week and the season is over. I want my sports life back!

We likely have a game next Saturday so the players shouldn’t have time to go home
Dumb question from me sorry! I guess I was working off the past and assuming this was gator week and that we were off. What a weird year....

FSU made the absolute correct decision. I’m in health care and can tell you that covid spreads like wildfire. Don’t need a bunch of students going home and infecting their families.

Haven't posted on here about Covid in a while, but this seems like a good place to do it. I follow the science closely, have friends doing the science and some that are health care workers.

The lead researcher in this study is the senior epidemiologist at Stanford and the 87th most cited scientist in the world.

He estimates the IFR (infection fatality rate) at .23%. This meta-study was revised in early September, so doesn't include the latest numbers. CFR (case fatality rate) has dramatically dropped during the course of the pandemic, so the IFR is too. Original estimates of 4-6% were way off.

This means it is more deadly than the recent flu epidemics, but not by order of magnitudes. It looks to be slightly higher than the 1957 Asian Flu and 1968 Hong Kong Flu.

Of course that is the overall IFR and since this infection is many times more deadly to the over 70 crowd, the younger folks see an IFR of closer to .005% (according to the CDC).

This study is the largest study to date of Covid infections. It looked at over 530,000 medicare eligible Covid positive cases between April 1 and September 1.
This is a critically important study because it elicits the co-morbidities associated with Covid death in the age groups that have the majority of the deaths.

Co-Morbidities in order:
1. Sickle Cell Disease
2. Kidney Disease
3. Leukemia and Lymphomas
4. Heart Failure
5. Diabetes.

Also factors were morbid obesity, hypertension, COPD, Cystic Fibrosis, Lung Cancer, cardiovascular disease.

Also of importance was the CFR of people from different races. However, it found surprising results.

From Highest to Lowest:
Hispanic
Asian
Black
White

The study found a 20% rise in mortality for every 5 years of age. So, a 70 year old has a 20% greater risk than a 65 year old for example. An 80 year old a 60% greater risk than a 65 year old, etc.

Among this group 28% were hospitalized and 7% died. (note the case fatality rate across all age groups has gone down significantly since April-August).

The last two are articles written by reporters, not science papers, but give a good explanation of what the science is.

This article is about dispersion, which describes the spread. Is it evenly spread or does it go in bursts.

The bottom line, is that Covid has a large dispersion ratio, which means it is all about super-spreader individuals and super spreader events. Mitigating this virus means you have to take those two facts in high consideration like Japan and South Korea did.

This one was of particular interest to me, as the Governor of Vermont has placed strict rules on Thanksgiving gathering and gatherings in general, even going so far as to saying you can't go on a walk with someone not in your family. This continues the government and public health officials finger pointing to groups of Americans. College kids and their age group get a lot of finger pointing toward them. Now gatherings in your own home and people who have these gatherings are getting the blame game pointed toward them along with hockey players in my part of the world.

This quote from the article sums it up:
"But are dinners and backyard barbecues really the engine driving the current surge of infections? The available data do not support that contention, scientists say. Still, the idea has been repeated so often it has become conventional wisdom, leading to significant restrictions in many states."

For those that want to reduce their risks:

"Most states don’t collect or report detailed information about the exposure that led to a new infection. But in states where a breakdown is available, long-term care facilities, food processing plants, prisons, health care settings, and restaurants and bars are still the leading sources of spread, the data suggest."

Of course you might notice that #1 and #4 are places where everyone has been wearing masks for close to 8 months now.

Perhaps the most controversial of subjects are masks:

This article published in the 'Annals of Internal Medicine' is the largest randomized control trial of mask use published directly about Covid.

For those that are interested in the science, there are literally over 100,000 studies out there. These are just the ones that caught my eye and in several cases are the most scientifically valid ones on their subject published to date according to the folks that study and research Covid.

Reactions: nynole1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT