ADVERTISEMENT

That's some big hail

I will admit when I was driving through Oklahoma a week and a half ago I was desparately hoping to see a giant f5 from the distance. Of course if I had actually seen a "finger of God" I would probably have soiled my underoos but I was still disappointed all I saw was really bad rain clouds and no tornadoes.

Last edited:
I will admit when I was driving through Oklahoma a week and a half ago I was desparately hoping to see a giant f5 from the distance. Of course if I had actually seen a "finger of God" I would probably have soiled my underoos but I was still disappointed all I saw was really bad rain clouds and no tornadoes.

I lived in OKC for 5 years and never actually saw one. Many of the locals will tell you the same.

I lived in OKC for 5 years and never actually saw one. Many of the locals will tell you the same.
Going to school in Wichita Falls, TX, we often stood outside and watched the funnel clouds forming. I was briefly caught in a car that was sideswiped by a very small tornado late one night, but I never saw anything remotely close to an f5 tornado, although they had a large f4 tornado back in 1979 that wiped out entire subdivisions of the town and took the top 4 floors off my 6-story dorm building. That was long before me though.

1757173584_b5dc313884.jpg

glover04a.jpg

"
The suffering and destruction caused by the Wichita Falls tornado is nearly inconceivable. The passage of a violent tornado through an 8-mile section of a city is an almost unheard-of natural disaster. In addition to the 42 fatalities directly caused by the tornado, three more people died of heart attacks and other illnesses during the stress of the tornado's passage. The number of reported injuries approached 1,800 although hundreds of additional minor injuries were never recorded

Total property damage in Wichita Falls was estimated at $400,000,000 (in 1979 dollars). Over 3,000 homes were destroyed and another 1,000 were damaged, and over 1,000 apartment units/ condominiums were destroyed and another 130 damaged. In addition, approximately 140 mobile homes were destroyed, two schools were demolished and 11 others sustained serious damage. Over 100 commercial businesses, some of them large manufacturing concerns, were destroyed. It is estimated that 5,000 families, containing 20,000 residents, were left homeless in Wichita Falls. Such a total would mean that between 10% and 20% of the population of the city was displaced by the tornado. To put the deaths and property damage in perspective, it should be noted that as many as 42 people have not been killed in the United States by a single tornado in the 20 years since the event, and the total property damage of $400,000,000 still stands as the most costly tornado in American history."

Good write-up about that tornado outbreak:

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/oun/?n=events-19790410-burgess

Here's the link to the story that includes video of someone's windshield being smashed by large hail - notice how he's as worried about sharing the video on social media as he is about his own health (shaking head):

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/weather/extremely-dangerous-tornado-spotted-north-texas-n348746

Sorry I couldn't figure out how to embed the video...
Seems like he was more concerned about driving under something to get protection from the hail. His buddy in the right seat was filming.

Just another spring day in N. Texas...

Seems like he was more concerned about driving under something to get protection from the hail. His buddy in the right seat was filming.

Just another spring day in N. Texas...
Did you notice the instruments on the dashboard? Were they some kind of storm chasers?

ADVERTISEMENT