ADVERTISEMENT

The Americans Season Finale...

Nolefan82

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Aug 16, 2001
My favorite show had a nice end to season three..but what happened to Martha? The ending of the previous episode where Clark (Philip) began taking off his disguise led me to believe that this would be where last night's episode would take over. Philip was able to resolve the problem with the FBI bug but Martha's reaction and how Clark handled the situation in the previous episode was never really addressed. Odd.

Now for the next season. Will Paige's Pastor be knocked off by the Soviets? Will he simply think that Paige is mentally ill? Is he actually a Soviet plant? Something also tells me that Henry's friendship with Stan is going to lead to some new twists.

Should be a great season 4.

I really wonder where it's going to go from here. Possibly Elizabeth vs. Philip and Paige. Philip looks like he's about ready to be out...while Elizabeth went crazy listening to the Reagan speech...after her mother basically confirming her choice and having no regrets....she's rock solid. Another season after next is far from guaranteed...they might have started an end game...Philip vs. Elizabeth would be intense. With Stan basically given the greenlight to be a loose cannon.

Philip vs. Elizabeth and Paige vs both of them with Stan's help. I also predict some nudity.

I think he was the computer guy at the FBI. Philip also planted some evidence that would implicate him and take the heat off his "wife."

I think the pastor is KGB and Stan's ex is better looking than Nina.

I think the pastor is KGB and Stan's ex is better looking than Nina.

Wow...I never thought of that, but I totally could buy that the pastor is another "illegal".

Think about it...they are an "activist" liberal church, and we already know that social justice movements provided cover for Philip and Elizabeth in the time before the show started, and it's great for recruiting like minded folks to their side (Gregory). They travel to hot spots under the guise of mission work. So it would be the perfect role for another illegal to be working in.

Plus, in the context of the story, it would make perfect sense. The center had already been very concerned whether Philip was reliable, and both of them were pretty difficult on their previous handler. So it would make sense that they would want one of their other operatives to get eyes on them one way or another. Plus it's perfect backup for their 2nd generation program with Paige, even more so because of Philip's resistance.

I think that is what is going to happen...it's really the only way forward that wouldn't totally blow up the show.

Just finished season 6, the final season, last night. Couldn't find another thread on The Americans so I revived this one.

Last two seasons were fantastic. Season 6 was certainly darker than the rest.

Finale left some loose ends but those loose ends were the question marks that will continue to haunt a number of characters as they moved forward.

Great show though. Going to miss it. Now I'll just have to watch the news to get my fix.

Awesome show. Extremely well done. Interesting too that she and Mathew Rhys (Phillip) have been a couple for a number of years and have a kid. Elizabeth scared the hell out of me. Stone cold killer.

for some reason I thought there was a Season 7 and that was going to be the final season. We have been binge watching in an attempt to get caught up through season 6 before the fall. Finding out that Season 6 is the end is a disappointment...we are currently half way through Season 5 and love this show.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I loved the show. The ending was great, and still a bit unsatisfying. It did a good mix of between being kind of unpredictable and not playing into fan fantasy and being ambiguous (Sopranos), and providing fan total fanservice (Breaking Bad).

I also like the setup of the overall political storyline this season a lot, more than the previous season.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
Loved the show but didn’t like the ending.

Too each, as they say. I know there were a few unresolved issues but there always are. I won't give any spoilers but will say my wife and I really enjoyed it. Very tense and a couple of "what the hell" moments. We've both randomly brought this show up in conversations in the weeks since we finished. Overall, the acting was top notch, great story-lines, very compelling.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
As stated above, I am still in the middle of Season 5 so hopefully I don't see too many spoilers in this thread.

However, I do have a question. What year are they in at the end of the Series? I believe they are in 1984 or 1985 where I am, so I doubt they make it all the way to the Berlin Wall coming down, but that is where I wish they would have ended it.

As stated above, I am still in the middle of Season 5 so hopefully I don't see too many spoilers in this thread.

However, I do have a question. What year are they in at the end of the Series? I believe they are in 1984 or 1985 where I am, so I doubt they make it all the way to the Berlin Wall coming down, but that is where I wish they would have ended it.

Reactions: Nolebra Kai
I just binged this over the summer and was blown away, one of the best series i’ve ever seen.
I didn’t love that one aspect of the finale on the platform and thought it was unusually cliche for a show that’s anything but, however seeing how it ended fit with how it started so it was fine imho.

I just binged this over the summer and was blown away, one of the best series i’ve ever seen.
I didn’t love that one aspect of the finale on the platform and thought it was unusually cliche for a show that’s anything but, however seeing how it ended fit with how it started so it was fine imho.
I was pretty good with the ending... thoughts with spoilers below...

Stan is left with little faith in anything, his job, his own ability to do his job, his wife, the concept of friendship. What he does have is Henry, the son he always wanted but a daily reminder of the biggest betrayal of his life.

Paige is a young woman without a country, without parents she trusts, unsure of where her loyalties lie.

Philip and Elizabeth return to the USSR the way they left it, as two people, alone, charting a new path in a new land. Their children left behind like anything or anyone else at the end of a mission.

It was a tremendously sad ending but a good one. So many people were battered emotionally throughout the show, Nina, Martha, Oleg, Stan's wife, the Asian couple Elizabeth befriended, prob a few dozen others. So it makes sense that at the end the batterers are left to feel that same emptiness.

I was pretty good with the ending... thoughts with spoilers below...

Stan is left with little faith in anything, his job, his own ability to do his job, his wife, the concept of friendship. What he does have is Henry, the son he always wanted but a daily reminder of the biggest betrayal of his life.

Paige is a young woman without a country, without parents she trusts, unsure of where her loyalties lie.

Philip and Elizabeth return to the USSR the way they left it, as two people, alone, charting a new path in a new land. Their children left behind like anything or anyone else at the end of a mission.

It was a tremendously sad ending but a good one. So many people were battered emotionally throughout the show, Nina, Martha, Oleg, Stan's wife, the Asian couple Elizabeth befriended, prob a few dozen others. So it makes sense that at the end the batterers are left to feel that same emptiness.

Good synopsis of the ending. And I agree, I thought it was a close to perfect resolution. There are series with terrible endings (Lost, Dexter, etc); those that I understand the reasons why people may be split about it (Battlestar Galactica, Sopranos, etc..) and then there are small number of shows with perfect endings (The Shield, Star Trek The Next Generation, Banshee, etc...). I would definitely add the Americans to the list of shows with a perfect ending.

Good synopsis of the ending. And I agree, I thought it was a close to perfect resolution. There are series with terrible endings (Lost, Dexter, etc); those that I understand the reasons why people may be split about it (Battlestar Galactica, Sopranos, etc..) and then there are small number of shows with perfect endings (The Shield, Star Trek The Next Generation, Banshee, etc...). I would definitely add the Americans to the list of shows with a perfect ending.
Would add FNL and Breaking Bad to the list of series with great endings.
Also Fresh Prince, if anyone cares for a blast from the past.

Great show. Great finale. The parking garage scene. The train platform. The soundtrack.
That parking garage is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen. The threads relating to those relationships ran for several years all to build up to that scene. I really didn't know what Stan would do because that is a tremendous conflict for him and yet we know he had some recent doubts about his whole worldview - just enough to make it all uncertain.

Some of the middle years of the series got a little repetitive for me, but the ending made me glad I stuck with it.

That parking garage is one of the most powerful scenes I've ever seen. The threads relating to those relationships ran for several years all to build up to that scene. I really didn't know what Stan would do because that is a tremendous conflict for him and yet we know he had some recent doubts about his whole worldview - just enough to make it all uncertain.

Some of the middle years of the series got a little repetitive for me, but the ending made me glad I stuck with it.
That garage scene and the scene outside Stan's house where Philip gives him a hug.

Both pretty remarkable.

So, I have made it to Season 6 at this point. Amazon Prime only went through Season 5 for FREE, so I had to find it on the FX App. The first episode was a lot different than past seasons. I can't wait to get more time to watch into the final season.

So, I have made it to Season 6 at this point. Amazon Prime only went through Season 5 for FREE, so I had to find it on the FX App. The first episode was a lot different than past seasons. I can't wait to get more time to watch into the final season.
Season 6 definitely has a different, darker, feel compared to earlier seasons.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT