ADVERTISEMENT

The green flash

KitingHigh

Veteran Seminole Insider
Dec 4, 2003
St Petersburg
There was a nice one yesterday I saw off Coquina beach on Anna Marie Island. I was sitting on the drawbridge waiting for the bridge to go down. For some reason the operator opened it 15 minutes before the boat was actually there. As I Watched the sun begin to set on a clear horizon, I noticed that just when the bottom touched it rose back up again a little. At this point I was pretty sure a flash would happen. Both the rising back and the flash are caused by refraction. When the bridge closed I crossed and pulled into the beach parking to watch the show and sure enough it happened. Just before the top of the sun dipped below the surface it turned a pale green and as it finally dipped a small green flash of a bit more intense color shot out and slightly up. Each of those things lasted about a half second which makes this the longest flash I've ever seen. I've seen the flash about a half dozen times now. Though most of the time it has been barely noticeable.

Anyone else seen it? Got any stories?

Yes, I even have some pics from it. I'll have to dig through and find it. If I have time tonight I will host it somewhere and put it up.

I've never heard of that.

Then again, I grew up on the East Coast of FL. I suppose you could say we we different kinds of "flashes" over there. Like running gun battles between the Cocaine Cowboys or the convenience stores burning in Liberty City.

Actually, just found it on my Facebook page. I'll host it somewhere and post it here. I couldn't remember where I clearly saw it, but it was when I was flying from Tally to Miami. The sky was a literal rainbow as the sky went from a dark purple to deep blue to turquoise and then to complete green with the clouds and sun having the yellows, oranges and deep reds.

We watch for it when coming back in from fishing in Islamorada in the FL keys...very cool when get to see it.
Often I wonder..."did I really just see that"?

Always thought this was just some kind of myth until last February when wife and I saw it from our veranda while on a cruise.

Would love to see any pics, if someone was able to snap anything. This subject is of considerable debate between my folks and I.

Mother has seen a few times, I haven't been so fortunate. But I, of course, cannot acknowledge existence of the Green Flash, as that would indicate defeat. I will see it!!

Would love to see any pics, if someone was able to snap anything. This subject is of considerable debate between my folks and I.

Mother has seen a few times, I haven't been so fortunate. But I, of course, cannot acknowledge existence of the Green Flash, as that would indicate defeat. I will see it!!
One day I'll get a pick. There are a number of them on the web. It is a recognized thing and has a scientific explanation. Basically the atmosphere acts like a prism as it refracts the sunlight. That splits the colors and green is the last part we see aside from diffused blue.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT