ADVERTISEMENT

The guy who killed "Cecil the Lion"...lol

OrlandNole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Nov 29, 2003
So by now you've probably heard about the killing of Cecil the Lion by an American tourist in Zimbabwe (story).

Apparently, he's a dentist in Minnesota. His dental practice is getting absolutely slaughtered on Yelp. Some of the comments are pretty funny > link.

I needed a tooth extracted, so Dr. Palmer shot me in the neck with a crossbow, chased and tracked me for 40 hours, and (once I collapsed from pain and exhaustion) removed my entire head and skinned me.

Best part, they accept my insurance!!

Said he thought it was a legal hunt (they lured the lion of the preserve), was busted for poaching bears in northern Wisconsin several years ago. :Hunting is fine, but the rules and conservation policies are in place for a very good reason. All good and real hunters that I know are some of the most ardent conservationist that I know and are pretty upset with this small-penil douche.

Said he thought it was a legal hunt (they lured the lion of the preserve), was busted for poaching bears in northern Wisconsin several years ago. :Hunting is fine, but the rules and conservation policies are in place for a very good reason. All good and real hunters that I know are some of the most ardent conservationist that I know and are pretty upset with this small-penil douche.

I'm not buying his story that he didn't know. Apparently it is a well known rule that all collared lions are off limits and he removed the collar before skinning it.

Yeah I am kinda torn on this thing. I agree with Tribe, I am not buying this guys story either.

I am an avid hunter, been that way since my uncle introduced it to me when I was 13. I spend a lot of time in the woods deer hunting, I duck hunt etc. I know this will sound super hyper hypocritical, but I don't get the whole African safari thing. I am almost 100% sure I could not bring myself to shoot a lion, leopard, elephant, hippo, etc. just to skin it and hang it on my wall or make a rug out of it. I damn sure am not gonna spend $50K to do it. I eat everything I shoot and only take what I can consume.

Having said that, rule one of hunting is you better know ALL the laws/rules before you hunt and you better know what your shooting at. This guy is using the excuse he relied on his guides for all the permits. Not buying it, if I went on one of these, I would damn sure know all the rules.

This guy is giving ethical hunters a bad name.

I will sat this though, I have read a bunch or comments from internet tough guys, and they are going over the top with publishing his personal information, addresses, business location. He is getting death threats, that is ridiculous.

If this uproar doesn't die down, this guy has pretty much ruined any life had. Hope he had a lot of money already saved to retire to some off country where he won't be recognized.

"Always been a fan of wild cats. I've temporarily renamed all of my lion stuffed animals Cecils." These comments are great. The yelpers are nuts.

While its a sad story and something he should be prosecuted for if true, I really dislike the current culture of public shaming of people you have no real knowledge of. There's been far too many people who have had their lives destroyed over innocuous tweets to their friends which happened to go viral. I think I'm just lucky to not be a public figure.

Reactions: 321Nole
While its a sad story and something he should be prosecuted for if true, I really dislike the current culture of public shaming of people you have no real knowledge of. There's been far too many people who have had their lives destroyed over innocuous tweets to their friends which happened to go viral. I think I'm just lucky to not be a public figure.

While I agree, there needs to be some accountability. This guy was posting and bragging on Facebook and the same thing with the veterinarian who killed some cat she thought was a stray nuisance. She put it all over social media bragging and boasting, someone recognized the cat from the missing posters and she was hammered.

If people didn't feel this incessant desire to tell people how awesome they think they are, a lot of issues would go unseen.

While I agree, there needs to be some accountability. This guy was posting and bragging on Facebook and the same thing with the veterinarian who killed some cat she thought was a stray nuisance. She put it all over social media bragging and boasting, someone recognized the cat from the missing posters and she was hammered.

If people didn't feel this incessant desire to tell people how awesome they think they are, a lot of issues would go unseen.

I agree, this is generally true.

Reactions: RONole
Would the reaction be any different if say he were a doctor that performed abortions including partial birth abortions?

Depends. Did the doctor in said hypothetical skin the baby and mount it, then brag about it on his Facebook page? If so, then I think the reaction would be the same.

See what's happening right now with Planned Parenthood.

Depends. Did the doctor in said hypothetical skin the baby and mount it, then brag about it on his Facebook page? If so, then I think the reaction would be the same.

See what's happening right now with Planned Parenthood.

I was referring to if he performed abortions instead of being a dentist and went on this hunting trip if his practice would have the same type of comments towards it.

Well, I doubt there would any comments about cavities and root canals....

Still trying understand your point.

I was referring to if he performed abortions instead of being a dentist and went on this hunting trip if his practice would have the same type of comments towards it.

The guy's profession has absolutely nothing to do with the negative reaction to him; he'd be getting shredded online just the same if he were a lawyer, CPA, insurance agent, foot doctor...

I'm thoroughly confused as to why you think it would be different if he ran an abortion clinic. Only difference would be the theme of the smartass comments.

Just reminds me of the woman who made a dumb joke about getting Aids in Africa to her facebook page. She had something like 100 friends and never anticipated it being public. Certainly you can't consider anything you post on social media as private, but the "outrage" that people got into over it and the desire to destroy her life for a stupid joke to her friends was completely over the top. I've just seen it over and over again. The Public Shaming seems very sad to me.

Tallahassee blogger not in public limelight? Who's lion now?

Well, I doubt there would any comments about cavities and root canals....

Still trying understand your point.

He's bringing in some nutso pseudo topical political landscape rambling in this thread. Typical derailment.

context is awesome though...

Give an animal a name and it is fluffy and cuddly... let that same animal attack a person and all bets are off ..

How many people would like to kill all the great white sharks off the Carolina coast right now, even if they had a tracker device on them?

While I also feel that the internet mobs are becomming out of control with how they ruin peoples lives and blow things out of proportion, there are certain times when they are great and the public shaming is deserved. This is one of those times. His life as he knew it is over. No Public Relations firm is going to get his life back. In addition to poaching a bear and poaching the most famous lion in Africa, this winner also settled a sexual harassment suit for 130k. I hope he does not have kids.

Reactions: goldmom
I think what he did was wrong, however I feel that the outrage is a little over the top. Having said that... You just don't go to africa and shoot something. I would think he had guides that were with him who know the area, know where to find the animals, and know all the rules and regulations. What I have traditionally seen on these types of hunts is that the "hunter" is taken to the spot by the guide, the guide points the animal out and the "hunter" shoots it. Not real hunting to me, thus the quotes. So while I do fault the dentist, the guides should have really known better.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
was talking to an investment banker the other day who shot an elephant. on some level, that's worse. a lion at least is a predator.

My take is you are doing something wrong if you lure a lion from protected land to kill it. I cannot fathom ever wanting to kill a lion but if it is legal and you follow the correct procedures I'm not going to try to stop them. I cannot imagine proper/legal protocol would condone his methods. I say screw him and more power to those chastising him.

Reactions: timenole
Apparently Zimbabwe prisons are not known for their sanitary conditions, and is at 110% population.....15 years there might not be as much fun as the good dentist thinks.

I have never hunted, but I see the appeal of hunting. I've just never had a friend or relative to get me interested, and I don't think I have the stomach for dressing the animal. That said, the idea of identifying an potential area, tracking an animal, having the patience to wait for it, having the skill to get into position for the shot, and having the marksmanship for a clean kill...I totally see the appeal of that as an activity.

However, these canned hunts...what garbage. Whether you're shooting a leopard in a cage, or having someone drive you up to a pack of giraffes to shoot one point blank out of a jeep, or luring a lion across a preserve border to shoot it...what the hell is that about? That isn't hunting, that's just getting off on killing something, and the more special the better. I love to fish, but even though I'm not good at it, I would never in a million years be interested in someone bringing me a trophy bass in a bucket, stabbing the fish, and hanging it on my wall.

It's like someone sneaking into a senior citizen's house, tying them to a chair and beating them unconscious with a club. And then saying, "Hey, that's just boxing! Why are you anti-boxing?"

I have no problem with someone hunting, even a majestic animal, if it's not hunted illegally and there's actual hunting involved. But any of these dicks on these canned hunts have to be sick bastards in my mind.

Sooooo......taking the lunch hour to look into this a little further.

Appears Walter is a convicted felon according to a news story for poaching a bear and then lying to the feds about where he killed it, served a year of probation. If he is a convicted felon, how does he still have his dentist license? I am a licensed land surveyor, if I get convicted of a felony, my license is gone, period. How does he still have his?

Started looking at the yelp comments as well. This guy is getting raked over the coals. One poster had a picture of the remains of the lion. Basically they skinned it from the neck, down the back and removed the head. Left the remaining body and legs to rot. As an ethical hunter, you do not under any circumstances just leave the remains to rot, you dispose of them correctly, like bury them. What a dick head this guy is.

He may single handily stop the sport of trophy hunting for African game......that may not be a bad thing

Just reminds me of the woman who made a dumb joke about getting Aids in Africa to her facebook page. She had something like 100 friends and never anticipated it being public.
That's not what happened at all, she made the comment on an unprotected public Twitter page. Why change the facts to fit your narrative?

Reactions: fsuksig

Appears Walter is a convicted felon according to a news story for poaching a bear and then lying to the feds about where he killed it, served a year of probation. If he is a convicted felon, how does he still have his dentist license? I am a licensed land surveyor, if I get convicted of a felony, my license is gone, period. How does he still have his?

Started looking at the yelp comments as well. This guy is getting raked over the coals. One poster had a picture of the remains of the lion. Basically they skinned it from the neck, down the back and removed the head. Left the remaining body and legs to rot. As an ethical hunter, you do not under any circumstances just leave the remains to rot, you dispose of them correctly, like bury them. What a dick head this guy is.

He may single handily stop the sport of trophy hunting for African game......that may not be a bad thing

Unfortunately, from what I read, if it stops trophy hunting in Africa, it might be a very bad thing. Apparently hunting and the revenue it generates is the best incentive for local authorities to keep these species alive, especially those that are occasionally a nuisance or danger to people or property. I guess in areas where they've legalized regulated hunting, the animals have actually increased in number, because people have a financial incentive to protect their numbers.

Reactions: gwgwi and dmm5157
That's not what happened at all, she made the comment on an unprotected public Twitter page. Why change the facts to fit your narrative?

Yes, she was an idiot. However she had almost no followers. She should have known better, however I don't think she intended for them to be made public to the entire world. There are a lot of people who forget that almost anyone can see their page, and someone who had almost no followers falls there.

Her comment was stupid but to ruin someone's entire life over one tweet is ridiculous. That's just the latest one I can remember. I've seen it happen over and over again. Americans get worked up in a lather about some person they know nothing about who did something they only know a bare minimum of facts about and then decide to destroy those people.

I've seen similar from that stupid evangelical minister who got all of his facebook followers to start harassing a bakery in South Florida because they wouldn't make an anti-homosexuality cake. I just hate the whole public lynchings we get worked up in regardless of whether I agree or disagree with the issue or not. There's enough real things for me to worry with rather than getting outraged over some random person who I've never heard of before and never will again.

You got a link to that gnarly pic? I'd like to see it...

Unfortunately, from what I read, if it stops trophy hunting in Africa, it might be a very bad thing. Apparently hunting and the revenue it generates is the best incentive for local authorities to keep these species alive, especially those that are occasionally a nuisance or danger to people or property. I guess in areas where they've legalized regulated hunting, the animals have actually increased in number, because people have a financial incentive to protect their numbers.

Yep. Through acquaintances, I know folks who have done this. The legit, regulated hunting trips are one of the largest sources of revenue for conservation programs in Africa. Not saying I'm completely on board with that (depending upon the species hunted) but that's another story.

I assume that hunter is back in the US. I can't see how he could be prosecuted for a crime possibly committed in Zimbabwe and I can't see the US allowing extradition. Its also quite possible that he did rely on guides and didn't know they were luring animals off a preserver.. You hire them for their local knowledge.

I don't get hunting big game animals either, but if its the only way to pay for conservation and the population doesn't decline, I see it as a reasonable trade off. Baiting animals is despicable.

You got a link to that gnarly pic? I'd like to see it...

It was attached to a yelp comment from his dental office page. Can't find it at the moment, it was pretty graphic. I am sure it will show up soon.....

ADVERTISEMENT