ADVERTISEMENT

The most dangerous offense: Contempt of Cop

Here is a good summary and an article that expresses a view that I agree with.

Now I don't know anything about how she ended up dead, but it's a travesty that she was in jail at all. She was in jail because some bully cop gave her an unlawful order and didn't like her attitude / tone. It's total BS.

Further than a lane change violation she never committed a crime, or did anything that threatened that officers safety. Certainly not enough to be dragged from her car, cuffed and publicly humiliated then dragged to jail. The cop escalated the situation, then trumped up a charge.

I'd really like to know some follow up on what happened with this?

The cop was suspended for not following the department's curtesy policy. Waller county (located north west of Houston) has a history of racial issues

Before this she posted on here Facebook page she had PTSD, but I can't for the life of me find anything that tells what caused her PTSD. Self-diagnosed drama queen?

Further than a lane change violation she never committed a crime, or did anything that threatened that officers safety. Certainly not enough to be dragged from her car, cuffed and publicly humiliated then dragged to jail. The cop escalated the situation, then trumped up a charge.

I have a problem with all of that, as well as with the cop calling his sergeant and immediately beginning to lie about the encounter.
I've dealt personally with lying cops. There should be no room on the force for lying cops.

The video has been edited/modified. Check out the 25 minute mark. The tow tuck driver gets out of his vehicle twice.

Seeing discussion of video possibly being edited as noted by OrlandoNole. Several scenes repeat in the video. I'm not one to argue with a cop but that's no excuse for the behavior of the cop.

Regardless of edits this is really frustrating... actually that's not the right word, it's angering to watch.

Cops would be doing themselves a favor by rooting out the bad cops, thugs, liars, racists, and immature jackasses amongst their ranks. That they circle the wagon and keep on blaming innocent civilians for defending their rights while ignoring the fact that many of these cops are lunatics does no one, primarily themselves, any good.

As a brown man, I'm nervous everytime I see a cop and I can't remember the last time I broke a law. I don't know which cops are good or bad, and frankly I'd rather not find out. I don't want any interaction with any of them - a person in uniform represents a monolithic entity and when one is not to be trusted, none of them are.

Reactions: bigjkt405
Regardless of edits this is really frustrating... actually that's not the right word, it's angering to watch.

Cops would be doing themselves a favor by rooting out the bad cops, thugs, liars, racists, and immature jackasses amongst their ranks. That they circle the wagon and keep on blaming innocent civilians for defending their rights while ignoring the fact that many of these cops are lunatics does no one, primarily themselves, any good.

Here Here. I was said it many times on here. My biggest of problem with police are not the bad seeds. It's the average and good police that cover for their brothers. If the police policed their own, we simply would not see all the incidents that we do see with regularity. The Blue Wall of Silence, or Blue Code, or Blue Shield needs to stop.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
Perhaps, but they aren't necessary - cops aren't given the legal right to having their petty egos stroked.

while true, but I've had times where I should have went to jail (rear-ended an Escalade hammered after Marti Gras on P'Cola beach) and being extremely respectful (and probably my wheelchair) got me out of it

while true, but I've had times where I should have went to jail (rear-ended an Escalade hammered after Marti Gras on P'Cola beach) and being extremely respectful (and probably my wheelchair) got me out of it
Well I suppose when you're clearly in the wrong (ie drinking and driving) kissing a little butt would be a good idea. But in an ordinary instance or even worse, one where you feel you're the one being harassed, the cop does nothing to warrant that butt kissing.

That ego stroking only exacerbates their already disproportionate sense of self-worth and power.

If I were a total dipshit and everyone out there called me Sir all the time, I'd start to feel a bit more powerful and important than I really am.

Well I suppose when you're clearly in the wrong (ie drinking and driving) kissing a little butt would be a good idea. But in an ordinary instance or even worse, one where you feel you're the one being harassed, the cop does nothing to warrant that butt kissing.

That ego stroking only exacerbates their already disproportionate sense of self-worth and power.

If I were a total dipshit and everyone out there called me Sir all the time, I'd start to feel a bit more powerful and important than I really am.

In the video it seems it's obvious she knows she did wrong.........how about keep your mouth shut, take your ticket like a mature person, and fight it in court. But, that's just me

Had she kept her mouth shut and behaved like the first person he pulled over, she was driving a way with a warning. I'd like to see the dash cam video of the second patrol car before I suggest whether the cop went to far or not.

I'll never understand why people mouth off to cops. Why give a dirtbag a reason to be a dirtbag? Contest it in court not from the pavement with a knee in your back.

Not following/listening to the commands of a policeman exponentially increases your chances of ending up in a situation like this or being shot and/or ending up dead.

I don't know how anyone can put the escalation of that confrontation on the lady; it was all on the cop imo. He provoked things initially with the snide "you look irritated" comment, and she responded that she was indeed. Then he decided to give her crap about the ciggy. All he had to do was hand her the ticket (or warning, whatever) and tell her "drive safely."

In the video it seems it's obvious she knows she did wrong.........how about keep your mouth shut, take your ticket like a mature person, and fight it in court. But, that's just me

^^^This. A little common sense, maybe some courtesy to the LEO and I bet she would not have been taken to jail. You have to be smarter than the people your dealing with. Having an attitude and complaining on an on is not the way to do it. Maybe voice your disagreement that you shouldn't have been ticketed because you were getting out of his way etc. Say it once, have a dialogue, then move on.

The cop was certainly an ass once the conversation went south, but all she had to do was maturely disagree with his assessment of the ticket, sign the ticket and move on. Fight it in court or don't but this certainly did not need to end up how it did.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: fsu1jreed
The cop was certainly an ass once the conversation went south, but all she had to do was maturely disagree with his assessment of the ticket, sign the ticket and move on.

Actually, before that could take palce, he decided to boss her around a little. There is no other reason for him to ask her to put her cigarette out when she is sitting in her car.
When she said, 'no, I'm in my own car', he then ordered her out of the car. Why? To boss her around some more, let her know who's in charge.
He escalated the situation at every opportunity, and then lied to his sergeant about it (saying he tried to de-escalate the situation).

All because he spotted a black driver with an out of state tag, ran up on her bumper, and she got out of his way without signalling.

He needs to find a new line of work.

Common sense my ass. She was fine until he provoked her. "you seem irritated" You're gawddamed right I'm irritated. You just pulled me over for no damned reason and now you're swinging you dick around and daring me to say something. She had no reason at all to think that jackwad would drag her out of her car for refusing to put out her cig. Total bull.

It appears that she has a history of petty vehicular crimes (DUI, no insurance, etc.) and not paying the bills. Not that the Waller County cop would have known that. Her past is not a justification for the action, just putting into context what is likely her contempt for LEO, in general. You can't avoid the possibility that she has been pulled over for DWB and thought the same was occurring here.

Here, there was no reason for the cop to order her out of the car. This was a minor infraction that would not rise to the level of reasonable suspicion of a crime to warrant detainment and a search. He was being a bully, should have written the citation and handed it to her.

Perhaps, but they aren't necessary - cops aren't given the legal right to having their petty egos stroked.

Right it shouldn't just be cops. It should be used as a mutual respect when addressing any other adult. Heck I say yes sir or yes maam to someone taking my order at a fast food restaurant or even at Starbucks when they are repeating back my order.

But in this situation, there was no need for the police officer to get her out of the car. He was giving her a warning. Apparently she was having a bad day. A simple, this is not a ticket. It is a warning, please remember to use your signal when changing lanes. I hope the rest of your day gets better.

How about the officer issue the ticket like a mature person, not bait the driver with questions about why she seems irritated and make unlawful demands that she extinguish her cig.

In any given situation, shouldn't it be the on-duty officer that exhibits the most mature and professional attitude?
There's no room in our society for petty, incendiary cops like this schmuck.

There are three viable scenarios in a stop like this:
  1. Issue ticket or warning, smile and say "hope your day gets better" - make a crappy situation a little better, make officers look better.
  2. Issue ticket or warning and walk away - leave crappy situation crappy, but don't make it worse.
  3. Issue ticket or warning and instigate a tense situation based on perceived unhappiness of motorist - make a crappy situation worse, reinforce notion of bad cops, wind up on national news for being a dickhead.
This officer went out of his way to choose the most difficult of the three courses of action. It would have been much easier to just act like a robot, issue the ticket, and wander back to his car and continue his day of subjecting tax payers to financial penalties based on the most minuscule of moving violations. (Which brings up another another issue: the monetization of society through structurally flawed systems of law enforcement and justice)

Reactions: Gonolz
Common sense my ass. She was fine until he provoked her. "you seem irritated" You're gawddamed right I'm irritated. You just pulled me over for no damned reason and now you're swinging you dick around and daring me to say something. She had no reason at all to think that jackwad would drag her out of her car for refusing to put out her cig. Total bull..

This is very much a case of common sense, she obviously didn't have much. It takes two people to escalate this situation, but your blaming the LEO all the way. I don't care if he provoked her or not, she has got to be smarter then that, she obviously wasn't.

Go ahead and try saying "You're gawddamed right I'm irritated. You just pulled me over for no damned reason and now you're swinging you dick around and daring me to say something" to the next LEO that stops you and see how far that gets you Einstein.

That's the problem these days with people, you to obviously, everyone wants to blame the other person and not take responsibility for their own actions. Both people were at fault here, not just the LEO.

The cop was an ass, I said that already, so was she, she was being combative and argumentative, she could have easily diffused the situation had she wanted to, she didn't and here we are.

So tell me Belem, with your all knowing wisdom, what would you have done in this situation argue with the cop as you stated above?

Reactions: SKSnole
How about the officer issue the ticket like a mature person, not bait the driver with questions about why she seems irritated and make unlawful demands that she extinguish her cig.

In any given situation, shouldn't it be the on-duty officer that exhibits the most mature and professional attitude?
There's no room in our society for petty, incendiary cops like this schmuck.

I kind of agree with this, but think about all the idiots (like the woman) he has to put up with on a daily basis.........no way could I do that job.

I kind of agree with this, but think about all the idiots (like the woman) he has to put up with on a daily basis.........no way could I do that job.
Which is fine, that's why you and I don't do that job.
By signing up to be an officer, you acknowledge that you're not only okay with dealing with idiots, you're particularly going out of your way to deal with them.

Like if I took a job with Dell customer support, I'd be essentially saying, "hi, I'm excited about the opportunity to deal with computer illiterate nitwits who don't know an enter key from a car key."

Re: the woman being an "idiot", she seemed to be a little blunt, perhaps slightly curt, but in no way an idiot. She was within her rights to truthfully say why she was irritated (esp since asked by the officer), keep smoking in her car, call a lawyer, and ask why she was being arrested.
The cop is seemingly the idiot who committed any number of civil rights violations.

By being a citizen/member of society, I do not implicitly state my desire to be unduly harassed by absurd law enforcement.

This is very much a case of common sense, she obviously didn't have much. It takes two people to escalate this situation, but your blaming the LEO all the way. I don't care if he provoked her or not, she has got to be smarter then that, she obviously wasn't.

Go ahead and try saying "You're gawddamed right I'm irritated. You just pulled me over for no damned reason and now you're swinging you dick around and daring me to say something" to the next LEO that stops you and see how far that gets you Einstein.

That's the problem these days with people, you to obviously, everyone wants to blame the other person and not take responsibility for their own actions. Both people were at fault here, not just the LEO.

The cop was an ass, I said that already, so was she, she was being combative and argumentative, she could have easily diffused the situation had she wanted to, she didn't and here we are.

So tell me Belem, with your all knowing wisdom, what would you have done in this situation argue with the cop as you stated above?

She didn't argue with the cop. He asked her why she was irritated and she answered. I likely would have done the same. Then he demanded she put the cig out, which he had no right to. I likely wouldn't have put it out either. Then he demanded she get out of her car. Because he's a power-tripping ass. I would have gotten out and been arrested as well. Likely not thrown to the ground, but that's about the only difference. Who knows if I would have mysteriously died while in their jail as well.

Maybe you prefer to defer to bullies but that just emboldens them. Sure, he might have arrested me, but had I not mysteriously died in jail I'd have had his badge.
Somehow you think that standing up against injustice is being "equally at fault", I just don't know what to do with stupid statements like that.

Reactions: polkfolk

Could she have reacted better? Yes.
Was any of the onus on her to be polite or professional? No.

Submitting yourself to the abusive treatment of an officer is not something we should be teaching each other to do.

Last edited:

Could she have reacted better? Yes.
Was the any of the onus on her to be polite or professional? No.

Submitting yourself to the abusive treatment of an officer is not something we should be teaching each other to do.

It seems that people are compare citizen's behaviors with police behavior as apples to apples. And it shouldn't be. Police are given a degree of power beyond any citizen and they should be held to a higher standard of conduct. With great power comes.....

So the police department has removed the video because it was obviously edited, errrrrr there was some error while uploading it that made it appear to be edited.

Yeeeeeeeeaaaaright.

The one I saw it looks like the cop speeds up behind her and she moves out the way (without turning on her lights) and that is when he turned on his lights to pull her over. I'm thinking he was stopping her for DWB.

Reactions: BelemNole
I'm thinking he was stopping her for DWB.
That in 2015 "DWB" is still something that happens often is completely crazy.
And that we as a society acknowledge it as fairly normal is even more absurd.

This is literally something that we should all march in the streets and rail against.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT