ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Colin Cowherd being let go?

ohio#1nolefan

All-ACC
Mar 29, 2002
So ESPN drops him a week early for saying "Like I've never bought into baseball's just too complex. Really? A third of the sport is from the Dominican Republic"..He was to leave the network next week anyways,as he is heading to Fox.
He did attempt to throw the statistic that the DR is ranked 122nd out of 144 countries in primary education. Of course everyone is in an uproar over his insensitive comments.
On a side note, he just took a loss off 200k on the house in Conn. he paid $1.34 million for, but he does have the house in Florida he is selling for $4.25 million. He reportedly makes $2 mil/yr. from ESPN.
I thought he was entertaining to listen to, although I also thought some of it was to get a rise out of people.

I liked listening to him on most all topics other than FSU. Lost a ton of a respect for him over the past year.

But at the same time I could careless about any of it.

Last edited:
He was leaving anyway.

I don't think he was incorrect in his statements about DR but disagreed that baseball isn't a complex game.

I haven't listened to ESPN radio in close to 5 years. I always enjoyed Mike-Mike, Cowherd, followed by SVP over the years. What made you lose respect for him over the past couple of years?

I haven't listened to ESPN radio in close to 5 years. I always enjoyed Mike-Mike, Cowherd, followed by SVP over the years. What made you lose respect for him over the past couple of years?

He was one of the talking heads who had something negative to say about Jameis and program whenever he could. Had all the facts wrong etc...I forget exactly what he said today, but I remember being very annoyed.

Never watched his show. He could knock on my door and I wouldn't know who he was. Saying that, the politcal correctness is way out if hand.

He has been and probably always will be a douche. He is another form of Jim Rome, Erik Kuselias and Keith Olbermann. People who have never played the game yet feel that their opinion of the game and its players matters. Good riddance!

Reactions: DeputyDodge
He was making $2M?! Thats insane to me. I feel like guys like him are totally replaceable. And I guess ESPN felt the same way.

Never watched his show. He could knock on my door and I wouldn't know who he was. Saying that, the politcal correctness is way out if hand.

The problem is that he assumes that because the education in the DR is poor that means that the baseball players from there are not well educated and that is simply incorrect. Not to mention that some guys have sports smarts, meaning you could take a what appears to be a real dumb guy, Vinny Testaverde for example, and he can learn a football playbook and offense that a real smart, well educated guy can't.

Cowherd was trying to explain that baseball is not the thinking man's game and he is right about that. Football is far more involved and takes far more smarts. He just chose a stupid way to prove his point.

I like Cowherd and respect his take on things. Don't always agree with him, but part of what makes this country great is that people can have opinions different than myself and that is ok.

People get to easily hurt by others opinions. This is not a new phenomenon, it has been around for years. I'll probably listen to him on Fox.

Telling an entire group of people they're not smart isn't getting easily offended, it's an a-hole saying something he shouldn't have.

If he'd said Southerners are dumb or Jews are greedy, people would be up in arms, rightfully so. This is no different.

If he would have substituted "Germany", "England" or any other European country, no one would have been offended.

That was only the first bit of his comments that morality police jumped on. His next sentence is more PC as he continues but doesnt matter Cowherd made enough enemies being the only honest and interesting radio host left at espn, so it was convenient he was leaving anyway. Espn can now act like they were offended.

The whole ordeal is really disturbing, now you can be socially attacked and painted as a bigot by taking 10 seconds from a 10 minute diatribe that in its whole isnt offensive. Really messed up anyone who is on radio or tv should be nervous. And whatever site started this, if im cowherd my lawyers are knocking on their door this week.

I love when immigrants who flock here from their countries get upset when people point out factual statistics about their native land which were probably some of the reasons why they left To begin with. If the DR is so great then pack up your kids and move them their to get an education. IF IF he had said 1/3 of baseball players are from the DR and those people are as uneducated as it gets. THAT THAT would be racist and offensive. But as I've pointed out in the thread on the TC, this whole thing is moot, b/c it was a calculated move by Cowherd and his team anyway.

I've been all for cowherd getting fired for years. The guy is a rambling windbag.

As for his remark about Dominicans - I think he's intelligent enough to argue that baseball isn't a cerebral sport without demeaning a whole nation. This statement not only didn't add to the larger point he was trying to make, they detracted from it.

I'm not sure if it was just a semantic mistake, an intentional attempt to get in the news, or just the revelation of a pretty gross underlying way of thinking. Either way, he f'd up and like Hogan, in doing so expedited the end of his already tenuous employment with a dubious employer. No sympathy to either of them - say dumb things (or phrase them poorly), expect to be let go.

I should add, perhaps someone should remind cowherd, "being a radio show host isn't a very complex job either." I'm convinced nearly anyone can do it. 80% of the rambling fools at a TGIF in Marietta could pull it off with about the same success as the average sports talk host.

Hard to believe he didn't know what he was doing. Heard Seinfeld on his show a few weeks ago talking about how he and other comedians won't go near a college campus because of the "PC police". This might have been a strategy to exit early with a lot of publicity/controversy.

Hard to believe he didn't know what he was doing. Heard Seinfeld on his show a few weeks ago talking about how he and other comedians won't go near a college campus because of the "PC police". This might have been a strategy to exit early with a lot of publicity/controversy.
Could backfire if his new employer starts feeling heat for hiring this doofus.
I will hope he loses his next contract just b/c I think he's annoying as hell.

Seen a lot of articles talking about his "racist" comments.
They were demeaning and offensive to Dominicans, but not sure disparaging the intelligence of a particular country is really "racist." I think that's an incorrect usage of the word.

Seen a lot of articles talking about his "racist" comments.
They were demeaning and offensive to Dominicans, but not sure disparaging the intelligence of a particular country is really "racist." I think that's an incorrect usage of the word.
That's just semantics and besides the point.
A person of his alleged intellect should be able to argue that baseball isn't a complex sport without mentioning the irrelevant education standing of the DR. Anyone presenting a semi-thoughtful counter argument could refute validity that point as it relates to what he was trying to communicate pretty easily.

That's just semantics and besides the point.
A person of his alleged intellect should be able to argue that baseball isn't a complex sport without mentioning the irrelevant education standing of the DR. Anyone presenting a semi-thoughtful counter argument could refute validity that point as it relates to what he was trying to communicate pretty easily.

Disagree. I think you have to be careful applying a "racist" label to offensive comments about an entire geographic area with diverse inhabitants.

Disagree. I think you have to be careful applying a "racist" label to offensive comments about an entire geographic area with diverse inhabitants.
The Oxford English Dictionary defines racism as the "belief that all members of each race possess characteristics, abilities, or qualities specific to that race, especially so as to distinguish it as inferior or superior to another race or races" and the expression of such prejudice.

One could argue that to extrapolate the intelligence of Dominicans playing MLB based on the DR's world rank in education could be an example of racism. He does nothing to take into account that MLB playing Dominicans are an outlier of the overall population, just as MLB playing US citizens are an outlier of our population, and most likely have skills and intellect vastly unique from those of the average person from each of those countries.

Very difficult to draw the conclusion cowherd drew without applying the "all members of that race possess that same characteristic" logic mentioned in the definition.

And for the record, I'm not saying he's a racist because I don't think he is, but I'm saying those who might use that term in describing him aren't taking a massive logical leap in doing so.

He is however a self-righteous windbag.

Used to listen to him a few years back. Then he started to believe he was smarter than anyone else. Then the whole bashing of FSU and Jameis without any facts or investigation ended that. Happy he is gone and cannot believe he was paid $2 million dollars to do that job for 3 hours a day. That is beyond unbelievable.

Reactions: ponchfrog
I agree 100% with your last statement about Cowherd. Over the past year I've had the opportunity to work with some professionals from DR and they're smarter than Cowherd will ever be.

I'm just saying I don't think Dominicans are a race, any more than Americans are a race.

I'm just saying I don't think Dominicans are a race, any more than Americans are a race.
Agreed - I thought about bringing this up in my post as well.

Applying a racism like stereotype to a nationality or culture is like a very close cousin of 'racism' - but for lack of a better term, that's what we've got.

I'll reiterate I don't necessarily think Colin's a racist - he prob got too arrogant in the windbag persona he plays, didn't process what he was saying. This careless windbag persona is why I can't stand him - the same arrogance that allowed him to demean Jameis without knowing the facts is again at play here. I expect facts and thoughtful critique out of journalists, this guy cares for neither and should be off the air.

For f-sake. He used Dominicans and the DR because it's a poor developing (third world to use old vernacular) nation. It's a form of American elitism. WTF does having an outstanding education system have two craps to do about understanding baseball, the strategy of baseball, or playing baseball. He got called out (I will say that, from a team that has copyrighted "elitism" as a bad word, you guys are pretty good at it). He was a crappy play-by-play guy in Las Vegas, a terrible stand up comedian (yeah, he has tried to erase that from his back ground), and now he has found his "voice" ratings and in spitting out crap that his producers give to him that will garner ratings and a big salary.

Damn, I'm thinking that the TC posters actually think that Rush, Beck and Hannity believe half the crap they say.

Reactions: DFSNOLE
He was making $2M?! Thats insane to me. I feel like guys like him are totally replaceable. And I guess ESPN felt the same way.

In Richard Deitsch's SI Media column Colin is anticipated to make $6M+ annually for radio and TV at Fox.

Telling an entire group of people they're not smart isn't getting easily offended, it's an a-hole saying something he shouldn't have.

If he'd said Southerners are dumb or Jews are greedy, people would be up in arms, rightfully so. This is no different.
that happens all the time on this board. I understand your point, I just don't let it rule the day like so many others do. I don't agree with Colin in this instance or many times, especially with Winston. However, as Colin would say many times on his show, that is a you problem. When people let people like Colin make them upset, you let people like Colin win.

Meanwhile, I would love to have a $ every time the term "Redskins" is used on ESPN for the remainder of 2015!! :rolleyes:

Reactions: DanC78
that happens all the time on this board. I understand your point, I just don't let it rule the day like so many others do. I don't agree with Colin in this instance or many times, especially with Winston. However, as Colin would say many times on his show, that is a you problem. When people let people like Colin make them upset, you let people like Colin win.

Except when the people upset are the MLB and the MLBPA. I'm not quite sure Colin is going to win this one. I can't imagine the MLB and/or ESPN is going to be real supportive of allowing anyone on his show.

Cowherd is a guy who has made his money in part by being a self proclaimed arbiter of what is PC and what is not, and at times sensationalizing others' failures to live up to his standards. while i find him to be often insightful, he's often annoying as well.

so there is some irony in his termination for a similar, albeit perheps more legitimate, transgression (i.e. he has victimized others on bases that were less deserving).

nevertheless, i find it hard to take any pleasure in PC-run amok, even in his case.

Reactions: seminoleed
In Richard Deitsch's SI Media column Colin is anticipated to make $6M+ annually for radio and TV at Fox.
wtf-smiley-emoticon.gif

That would make me sell my stock if I was a Fox shareholder. That is NOT evidence of fiduciary responsibility by upper management.

I cant believe the drive by media has gotten this many legs from this non story. I blame every "jounalist" out there who never googled in two seconds the entire comments as a whole from cowherd, and instead just ran with the sound out of context.
The US truly has a pathetic and corrupt media. Fsu fans know this but this is an outrageous example of an out of control and dishonest media on high alert for moral justice. Give me a breaK

ns know this but this is an outrageous example of an out of control and dishonest media on high alert for moral justice. Give me a breaK
I would replace "moral justice" with "easy clickbait".

The media is far less concerned with any purported sense of justice than they are with feigning indignity to drive clicks/pageviews.

ADVERTISEMENT