ADVERTISEMENT

Thoughts on Colin Cowherd being let go?

Telling an entire group of people they're not smart isn't getting easily offended, it's an a-hole saying something he shouldn't have.

If he'd said Southerners are dumb or Jews are greedy, people would be up in arms, rightfully so. This is no different.

Colin has been subtly making fun of southerners for multiple years now, mocking their education level, backwoods nature, low IQs and how they have nothing to do but watch football in their small rural country towns. He kicked it up a notch w/ his first appearance on Paul Finebaum and w/ Phyllis calling in. Colin started to turn himself into this western elitist (wine sipping, I know wall street guys and have directors and producers of big time TV and movies on speed dial) who would take jabs at the south. His new schtick was - suck up to the big markets, California and New York (would always talk about how great USC football was under Pete Carrol and how he though Lane Kiffin would turn it around blah blah blah) and would be the heel a#$hole and antagonize southern football fans.

It's why his show became awful b/c he was playing a character at every opportunity he could get. He saw guys like Finebaum and Skip Bayless getting big time pay days and he wanted that (no knock on him) but he sacrificed his early foundation by being a smart sports radio guy and instead became a caricature of what was becoming popular - hot takes and making shiz up.

He's like musicians who sell out for big bucks.

My biggest issue w/ his comments isn't that he went after the DR (factually they have low educational rankings) but it's that he's pretending that there aren't a bunch of dumb jocks playing ALL sports in America. I mean, Frank Gore had a legit learning disability, "graduated" UM and is an 8 time Pro Bowler. He's also not the only one that plays pro ball and might read at a 3rd grade level.

He's said worse, and ESPN never batted an eye. Now that he is leaving for a competitor, it becomes a headline on every ESPN show, and they drive the story. They saw the chance to poison the well for Fox, and they took it.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
What's his new gig? Personality on Fox Sports Radio or something more than that?

Here is a link to the article.

"What will Cowherd do for his new employer? Here’s some informed speculation after four days of speaking with people inside and outside of Fox Sports: Look for Cowherd to host a nationally syndicated show on Fox Sports Radio that's fully simulcast on Fox Sports 1. I’d also look for him to have a separate 30-minute or 60-minute presence on Fox Sports 1. Glasspiegel reported that one potential idea would have Cowherd on FS1 at 6 p.m. ET to compete with SportsCenter. Two Fox sources confirmed such an idea is being kicked around. Fox hiring Cowherd will reunite the host with Jamie Horowitz, his former boss on ESPN’s Sports Nation who last April was brought in by Fox to oversee all programming, marketing and scheduling for Fox Sports 1 and Fox Sports 2. Horowitz is currently kicking around a ton of pilots for both networks, presumably some involving two hosts screaming and blaming LeBron James for the Greek economic crisis."

I left the last sentence of that paragraph in because Richard Dietsch has a long standing contempt for First Take so the line is funny, until you realize Stephen A. now makes $3M+ annually and that being a shock jock sells.

If he hadn't made his career the last two years on attacking Jameis at every turn without having the full facts then I might feel bad for him because this really is faux outrage. Of course, most of his show is faux outrage as well, so consider it justice.

If he would have substituted "Germany", "England" or any other European country, no one would have been offended.
The fact that this very true statement has not been commented on pretty shows PCNESS has overtaken this place.

The fact that this very true statement has not been commented on pretty shows PCNESS has overtaken this place.
Not really, Octoberfest's post barely made sense within the context of the point cowherd was trying to make - or this thread.
If anything that post comes off as a failed attempt to stir up some white sympathy on a subject that has nothing to do with it.

This has more to do with what ESPN is getting from cable TV fees than Cowherd..same reason they ran Bill Simmons off. All about cost effectiveness.

Not really, Octoberfest's post barely made sense within the context of the point cowherd was trying to make - or this thread.
If anything that post comes off as a failed attempt to stir up some white sympathy on a subject that has nothing to do with it.

"Stir up white sympathy"? Obviously, you don't know me. My point is that you can't insult a tall person by calling him short and you are probably not going to insult the German's by calling them dumb. The scensativities on the issue may just be that the complainers are concerned (warranted or not - I don't really care) that Cowherd's quote may hit too close to the truth. Probably says more about the group lodging the complaints than about Cowherd. Cowherd was just trying to be funny. I highly doubt he knows much about the educational levels of the country he was speaking of.

"Stir up white sympathy"? Obviously, you don't know me. My point is that you can't insult a tall person by calling him short and you are probably not going to insult the German's by calling them dumb. The scensativities on the issue may just be that the complainers are concerned (warranted or not - I don't really care) that Cowherd's quote may hit too close to the truth. Probably says more about the group lodging the complaints than about Cowherd. Cowherd was just trying to be funny. I highly doubt he knows much about the educational levels of the country he was speaking of.
Perhaps the "complainers" are concerned that cowherd's comments perpetuate a negative stereotype about a developing nation and unfairly turn a nation full of people into a punchline.
Perhaps the "complainers" think you can more effectively make the argument that baseball isn't complex without sabotaging your argument by going out of your way to demean an entire nationality for sh*ts and giggles.

cowherd should be above that type of shtick but after seeing the way he handled the Jameis situation and continues to go for the cheap punchline, I hope they run him out of his job with fox sports before he even starts. He's not a journalist, he's a shock jock - which is fine, as long as you label yourself as such so everyone knows you're spewing thoughtless ramblings for 3 hours a day.

Reactions: ericram
I left the last sentence of that paragraph in because Richard Dietsch has a long standing contempt for First Take so the line is funny, until you realize Stephen A. now makes $3M+ annually and that being a shock jock sells.

First Take sucks but Richard Dietsch has a long standing contempt for anything that isn't the WNBA or Michelle Beadle.

Works for me. I could not him and had not listened to his show for years. I think it was an improvement to ESPN radio's line up to ditch him.

First Take sucks but Richard Dietsch has a long standing contempt for anything that isn't the WNBA or Michelle Beadle.

Haha. Then he'll be ecstatic as I think she gets Colin's time slot to fill in for two weeks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT