ADVERTISEMENT

Tipping

vichogan

Freshman
Feb 5, 2003
Does anyone know what the appropriate tip should be when you are at a buffet? The server greets you and generally gets your drinks but you then serve yourself.
How about where you order and pay at the cashier and then someone brings your food to you?
It doesn't seem this should be at the 18-20% rate, but maybe it is.
What if you buy an expensive bottle of wine. Is that automatically another 20% on top?

I'm revising my whole tipping system.

I'm going to look at my restaurant and bar spend from 2014, cry about how much I blew on patron shots, and then assume about 1/6h of that total was spent on tips.

Based on that amount I'm going to reallocate my tips so that I can freely tip 30-40% for great service and 5% for lousy service with a goal of ending the year with approximately the same tip spend as last year.

I don't mind the money, but I hate the obligation.
I've had a few great waiters lately who certainly don't deserve anywhere close to what some of the lameasses have been getting from me, and most of us, simply bc we are programmed to do so.

I don't know. Not as much as a full service restaurant, so I guess it depends on the service it offers. Do waiters come by often and top off your drinks and carry away used plates in a timely manner?

Reactions: CragNole

I'm going to look at my restaurant and bar spend from 2014, cry about how much I blew on patron shots, and then assume about 1/6h of that total was spent on tips.

Based on that amount I'm going to reallocate my tips so that I can freely tip 30-40% for great service and 5% for lousy service with a goal of ending the year with approximately the same tip spend as last year.

I've had a few great waiters lately who certainly don't deserve anywhere close to what some of the lameasses have been getting from me, and most of us, simply bc we are programmed to do so.
Mr. Pink likes this.

Reactions: -OB1-

I see you have stepped up your drinking since you started your warchant account. Can you switch your user name to PatronNole?

Reactions: Bobcat07
I'd say that it depends on how bad you effed up the chocolate wonder-fountain by dipping fried shrimps and pieces of prime rib in there.
That actually sounds pretty good. I would try a couple chocolate dipped coconut skrimps for the helluva it.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
I see you have stepped up your drinking since you started your warchant account. Can you switch your user name to PatronNole?
I would but rivals world class tech infrastructure allows no such thing.
Whole rivals network would prob come crashing down, again.

Reactions: colonelburke
I have seen more tip jars at places like some sub shops or even other restaurants that you order at a cashier and then they bring your food to you as opposed to you picking it up at the counter. And how bout Starbucks, do you tip there if just getting a cup of coffee as opposed to another beverage?

Oh and if the food is good at a restaurant but the server/waiter/waitress sucks, I will tip the cooks and not the server.

I have seen more tip jars at places like some sub shops or even other restaurants that you order at a cashier and then they bring your food to you as opposed to you picking it up at the counter. And how bout Starbucks, do you tip there if just getting a cup of coffee as opposed to another beverage?

Oh and if the food is good at a restaurant but the server/waiter/waitress sucks, I will tip the cooks and not the server.

How do you tip the cooks, but not the server? Do you walk back into the kitchen and throw some cash on counter?

$10 an hour.

Their tables are revenue generators. Once you sit down you're on the clock....you gotta pay to stay.

If you want a lower tip, eat quick and get out there for the next table.

It's just the way I do it...I pay $10 an hour when the 20% doesn't cover that amount.

Last edited:
How do you tip the cooks, but not the server? Do you walk back into the kitchen and throw some cash on counter?
In a Japanese hibachi they come to table so that's easy. In other restaraunts where the kitchen is up front, you could walk back and hand them some money. If it is in the back you simply ask to see the cook because you would like to thank him or her or ask the manager if you can see them and throw/hand them some cash.

How about at Moe's or someplace like that, where you pay at the end and there is a tip jar? Or Starbucks?

My aunt doesn't tip, ever. She said it's their job and if they want more money they need to get a better job. Can't argue with that logic.

Reactions: sumnernole
My aunt doesn't tip, ever. She said it's their job and if they want more money they need to get a better job. Can't argue with that logic.
The sad part about that is that at some places servers have to pay tip share based off their total sales to the hosts/hostesses. Like 2 or 3%. So that server may have just paid to wait on your aunt and her party.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
I don't see her often so don't know her frequency. If she is with me, I cover her tip. It's pretty ridiculous.

5% for lousy service? Dang, you ARE programmed. Lousy service warms me rounding up to the next dollar, only because I don't want them wondering if someone stole their tip or if they got stiffed ... I want them to know they stunk.

I like this. I've often thought it wasn't really fair to tip based on % of the meal, since some really good servers work at some inexpensive places and some very average ones work at expensive places. They get more $$ just because the price is higher? They sure didn't WORK any harder...

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
I like this. I've often thought it wasn't really fair to tip based on % of the meal, since some really good servers work at some inexpensive places and some very average ones work at expensive places. They get more $$ just because the price is higher? They sure didn't WORK any harder...
Like waiters at steakhouses. Limited menu, way overpriced. Ridiculous how much those guys make per meal for the little work they do.

Reactions: ReliableOstrich
usually go about 10 percent or a few bucks a person....depends though. If they do next to nothing, I'll go pretty light. Depends on attitude.

Tipped my breakfast waitress $3 on $5.89 - after she was initially a bit of grumpy hag.. she Totally redeemed herself.

Last edited:
I believe that 20 to 25 percent is considered adequate for decent service. However,
I always tip substantially over that because:
1: I can afford it.
2: They usually look like they don't have enough money to cover next month's rent.
3: It makes me feel like a big shot.

I believe that 20 to 25 percent is considered adequate for decent service. However,
I always tip substantially over that because:
1: I can afford it.
2: They usually look like they don't have enough money to cover next month's rent.
3: It makes me feel like a big shot.

It's not tipping I believe in, it's over-tipping. I tip the doorman $100 for opening the door and the bartender $100 for keeping the ice cold.

I'm on vacation with my wife and kids right now, and I've taken to the practice of tipping 15-20% for the bill, then $5 per kid.

They make more of a mess than an adult, they are more inclined to be a disturbance than a drunk adult, and they don't order any food to drive the bill up and therefore tip amount.

Reactions: DanC78 and RTM58
I typically start at 15% and raise or lower my tip according to service. I am not afraid to not leave anything if the service is incredibly bad. The places that get me are the Moe's type restaurant. It almost seems like they are trying to guilt people into tipping even though there is no wait staff. I typically don't tip in those types of places unless there is some sort of after purchase service like employees coming around refilling drinks, etc.

I typically start at 15% and raise or lower my tip according to service. I am not afraid to not leave anything if the service is incredibly bad. The places that get me are the Moe's type restaurant. It almost seems like they are trying to guilt people into tipping even though there is no wait staff. I typically don't tip in those types of places unless there is some sort of after purchase service like employees coming around refilling drinks, etc.
Tijuana Flats has a lot of that kind of service if they aren't slammed with people, so I generally tip there.

We stayed for a week at a condo at the beach in Florida last week. How much would you tip for the cleaning service? (the service didn't come in during the week, but rather after our departure)

The sad part about that is that at some places servers have to pay tip share based off their total sales to the hosts/hostesses. Like 2 or 3%. So that server may have just paid to wait on your aunt and her party.

They aren't paying taxes on 90% of their tips, which is most of their income, so it evens out.

he places that get me are the Moe's type restaurant. It almost seems like they are trying to guilt people into tipping even though there is no wait staff. I typically don't tip in those types of places unless there is some sort of after purchase service like employees coming around refilling drinks, etc.
My standard on this, which I'm admittedly not fully educated on, is....

if the employee is making minimum wage or above then no tip is "required" - this would be the case at Moe's, Sbux, or any other fast food / fast casual restaurant.

if the employee is making like $2/hour or whatever bs wage they pay at sit-down restaurants, then they're "entitled" to a tip (provided they don't act like total jackasses).

That's not to say I wouldn't tip at a Moe's for outstanding or just particularly amusing/pleasant service, but it would take something out of the ordinary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT