ADVERTISEMENT

Tips in drive thru, order at counter and car side

trefeet

Contributor
Oct 5, 2006
What is the consensus on tipping at these locations?
In the drive thru if there's a spot for a tip I'll usually leave a dollar or two.

For order at the counter places like four rivers or moes I don't tip.

For car side to go if it's from a place like Teds I'll usually tip about $10 no matter if I get one or more entrees.

I have heard that places that have car side to go they make the same hourly wages as a waiter. My thoughts are they can serve a lot more people per hour though.

Drive-thrus and counter service are not tip-worthy, IMO. I don't use car service unless it's something like an old A&W-type establishment where you get served and eat in your car. In that case, I tip as I usually would.

My wife and I ate at a place Friday night where you order at the counter, but they bring your food and clear your table. I tipped 10%.

No / No / No
None of these are tip worthy.

We need to get to a place where either waiters/hosts/etc are paid a fair wage and not reliant on tips at all - OR - patrons are able to freely tip between 0-30% without feeling bad for being on the lower end of that for poor service. An obligatory 17-20% tip regardless of quality of service is ridiculous and if things are going to work that way, just include the damn thing because it's no longer "gratuity" it's "obligation".

Reactions: Bartdog
No / No / No
None of these are tip worthy.

We need to get to a place where either waiters/hosts/etc are paid a fair wage and not reliant on tips at all - OR - patrons are able to freely tip between 0-30% without feeling bad for being on the lower end of that for poor service. An obligatory 17-20% tip regardless of quality of service is ridiculous and if things are going to work that way, just include the damn thing because it's no longer "gratuity" it's "obligation".

Maybe I'm different than most, but I don't feel bad one bit for not tipping poor service.

10% to go, 3-5$ if counter order but they bring food and clear table when done, 20-25% sit down, 20% bar tab, (but that goes higher the hotter the bartender or drunker I am).

Reactions: Nole1217
Maybe I'm different than most, but I don't feel bad one bit for not tipping poor service.
I wish I could feel that way. I'm going to make a concerted effort to do so moving forward - I guess knowing that I might not be able to return to places where I stiff them on a tip (but I suppose why would I come back if their service is so bad).

The only drive thru or counter places where I tip is starbucks or other coffee shops. I'll toss in whatever change I have, or if my wife is with me I'll pull out a whole dollar.

The biggest problem with the drive through and counter tip jars is that they're normally busy and don't see you tip, so you don't even get the credit. Just like George Costanza in the old Seinfeld episode.

The best is the Jersey Mike's Subs credit card system prompts you to enter a 15%, 18%, or 20% tip before you can actually scan your card.

Jersey freakin Mike's?!

You gotta be kidding me.

There's a great little soul food place in my hometown that has a setup like that, using an Ipad with a skimmer. Tip choices start at 15%, with a few other options (I think 18, 20 & maybe one even higher), along with a "no tip" and an "enter your own" choice.

Problem is, it's a cafeteria-style setup, where you go through the line & choose your food, with the staff putting it on the plate. Then you bring it to the table yourself; the staff will come by & refill your drink, and bus the table after you're done. If I'm eating there I don't mind tipping 10%, maybe 15 - but I don't want to tip in that range if I get it to go.

The best is the Jersey Mike's Subs credit card system prompts you to enter a 15%, 18%, or 20% tip before you can actually scan your card.

Jersey freakin Mike's?!

You gotta be kidding me.

I was going to post on this one exactly. Ridiculous. Art is suffering. Even sandwich artists. Sorry.

I would never tip drive thru. I literally couldn't make their job easier as it is.

Drive thru - No
Carside -yes, but not 20% - some token tip
Counter - usually no, but I can make an exception for: 1) make my breakfast sandwich really tasty 2) Very cute girl with a come hither smile.

ADVERTISEMENT