ADVERTISEMENT

Tybee Island, GA

Beachgoers there are quite similar to those in Daytona/Myrtle. It's a beautiful area, but the tourists can be a little rough.

I live in Savannah and choose to go up to Hilton Head beaches. Never have been a fan of Tybee. But I will say this....imo North Beach is better than South beach. But South beach is closer to the bars/restaurants. Parking is pretty expensive. The only time I enjoy Tybee is really early in the morning during the low tide. It is peaceful and very pretty to walk around exploring.

It's been a couple years. I don't remember any specific eateries or attractions, but the beach is decent and there are plenty of options for food and such along the coastal road. It's only about 20 minutes to drive back into Savannah, which is nice. The last time I was there it seemed to have a lot more going on then the first time, which was 2001. I remember thinking there was nothing of interest besides the beach back then.

Originally posted by FSUSarah:
I live in Savannah and choose to go up to Hilton Head beaches. Never have been a fan of Tybee. But I will say this....imo North Beach is better than South beach. But South beach is closer to the bars/restaurants. Parking is pretty expensive. The only time I enjoy Tybee is really early in the morning during the low tide. It is peaceful and very pretty to walk around exploring.
My family and I have the condo on the north end of the island. We're just looking for a little relaxation with the kids. I figure that we will take them to Savannah for a couple of day trips and head to Hilton Head as well. Should be a good little trip.

This post was edited on 4/17 2:42 PM by TorreyOaks

Originally posted by TorreyOaks:
My family and I have the condo on the north end of the island. We'are just looking for a little relaxation with the kids. I figure that we will take them to Savannah for a couple of day trips and head to Hilton Head as well. Should be a good little trip.
I'm sure y'all will have a wonderful time. Depending on your kids ages, on the road out to Tybee is Fort Pulaski. Kids can be bored with history, but it is a neat place to visit.

http://www.nps.gov/fopu/index.htm

Traffic can be tricky getting on and off the island. It is mostly a 2 lane road until you hit Tybee, if it is a busy time or if there is an accident, expect delays.

we went there this past january for a little weekend getaway. stayed at the Tybee Island Inn Bed and Breakfast and that place was awesome. didn't seem like there was much to do there that time of year since it was freezing cold... but the lighthouse, fort, wormsloe plantation, and bonaventure cemetery were really cool. we also spent a lot of time in savannah.

we definitely want to head back sometime soon

Watch out for the nuclear bomb that was jettisoned in the waters off Tybee Island in 1958. It still lurks out there somewhere.
smile.r191677.gif

ADVERTISEMENT