** Updated Coaching Nuggets - 9:58 pm 1/6 **

Discussion in 'Tomahawks' started by Dot Com, Jan 5, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dot Com

Dot Com
    Expand Collapse
    Seminole Insider
    Staff

Instead of continuing to write up a Nuggets story ever few hours, I'll just keep this thread active and will update the top post as I get new information.

2:15 p.m. Update
    It continues to get crazy. I've heard now that something could come down with Jimbo Fisher around 4pm EST. The vibe I've gotten over the last hour or so is more positive for FSU's chances. A couple Booster sources I've heard from think he's coming to FSU. Another good source says it's 50/50. Hopefully, we will know something soon because I can't take this any more.

2:40 p.m. Update on Odell

Alabama has had no contact with Odell Haggins about any positions as of this time. As far as we know, there is absolutely nothing to the rumor.

2:55 p.m. Press Conference?

No official word as of now that a press conference is scheduled.
    3:22 p.m.

I'm still hearing there's a very good chance this thing will come to a head this afternoon but in talking to an FSU representative in the sports information office there are no immediate plans for any kind of press conference yet. I do continue to get very positive vibes about FSU's chances with Fisher but with as many times as this situation has changed 180 I'm not ready to say anything definite at this point.
    4:08 update

It's been strangely quiet over the last hour on the Jimbo Fisher front. All I keep hearing is that FSU wants this to be done one way or another today. Obviously, there was no press conference at 4:00 p.m. (we never said there was one - some fans did). There still could be one at some point but time is running short. It could be as simple as a press release.

Heard Chuck Amato's contract with NC State is a hold-up and that FSU is now looking at other linebacker candidates. Mickey Andrews wants to get this done quickly so we may have a new LB coach announced within a couple days. No idea yet on who some of the candidates might be.

5:08 p.m Update

All sides in the Jimbo Fisher sweepstakes appear to be hunkering down. We can't get much information out of anybody right now - it continues to be very quiet. My source close to Fisher said this could end tonight or even go on into Saturday morning. My source in the FSU camp says they contract offer is within hours of being pulled unless Fisher doesn't step up and commit.

I've again heard from some Booster types that they feel good about FSU getting Fisher. But I would add that if we don't solid information that this is done within a few hours the chances of him coming to FSU are greatly reduced.
    5:27 p.m.
    Two independent sources connected to FSU have called within the last 15 minutes telling me it's done, that Fisher is official. I also heard there could be some type of press release within an hour. I will warn that I've heard this before and it never camp to pass, so take it with a grain of salt. I'm just trying to keep people up to date with what I'm hearing.

On a side note, my wife already doesn't like Jimbo Fisher because we were supposed to go out to dinner tonight and I'm stuck in my office.
    6:03 p.m. Update

Everything continues to be positive for FSU. Every source I've talked to over the last couple hours says the FSU deal with Fisher is done or nearly done. The goal now is that everything, all the terms of the deal, will be ironed out by 7:00 p.m. tonight with a release to follow shortly thereafter. Again, I will warn people, there is nothing official and we've heard two or three times this was pretty much done when it suddenly went downhill quickly. I hope this is the last time we will be at the brink of this being over. Continue to stay tuned to your computer and if you are away from your computer make sure you are signed-up for our text message alerts.
    7:09 p.m. Update

I was hoping we would have something official tonight on Jimbo Fisher but it's looking more and more like that won't happen. It's possible the two sides (FSU-Fisher) could finalize a deal tonight but I don't think there will be any press release until tomorrow. If we hear the deal is done we will still let you know but it's unlikely there will be any official confirmation tonight.

Continue to stay tuned.

7:33 p.m. Update
    Got an email from FSU tonight saying "it appears that the current process will move into the weekend". No names were mentioned but you have to have to assume that was regarding Fisher. So it seems pretty definite that nothing official will happen tonight. Nevertheless, I still continue to hear it's pretty much a done deal.

9:10 p.m. Update

This should be the final update of the evening.

If you have kids around, please ask them to leave the room. If you have a heart condition or are over the age of 70, please do not read past this line....

Seriously, I still think there's a good chance FSU and Jimbo Fisher will come to an official agreement, and I've hesitated even bringing this up because I don't want to see this board meltdown for the 12th time in the last 24 hours but I heard the words "potential snag" tonight. This snag is what is apparently dragging the negotiations on through weekend. Apparently, Bobby Bowden and FSU President T. K. Wetherell are getting frustrated that this situation is continuing to drag on this long. I'm not sure how much longer they will go until the plug is finally pulled. I suspect Saturday or Sunday would be the point of no return.

I've heard from one source from the Fisher camp what that "snag" might be. Not Alabama, but the Cleveland Browns. According to this source, Fisher was contacted by the Browns about a position on their staff sometime on Friday. I'm not sure how serious this is or if they were just gauging his interest.

10:35 a.m. Update

Good morning.

It's very quiet on the Jimbo Fisher front this morning. The only thing I've heard at all from somebody close to the situation is that this thing could drag on until Sunday. Keep in mind that Fisher is set to leave for a hunting trip on Sunday so it's pretty safe to say that if FSU and Fisher don't have an agreement by then the offer will be gone and FSU will look elsewhere. Again, if that happens I suspect FSU will be looking for a coach at USC for offensive coordinator.

Before I mentioned that former Alabama defensive coordinator (and former FSU LBs coach) Joe Kines might be a possibility to take over as FSU's new LB coach. I heard from a couple people now that that option is off the table. I heard one name other than Chuck Amato but I'm not putting it out yet because it's a little hard to believe and I want to get some kind of confirmation first.

2:08 p.m. Update

The negotiations between FSU and Jimbo Fisher have bogged down and there hasn't been much contact between the two sides today. I hear it isn't his compensation that's an issue, but some contractual term or terms that the two sides can't agree on. I know FSU is trying to lock him into a multi-year deal and my guess is that they are trying to make it difficult for him to bolt for another job after a year or two with a big buyout.

Anyway, my source at FSU is not very optimistic that this will get worked out because FSU president T. K. Wetherell and Bobby Bowden have apparently reached their limit and are ready to move on. Every minute that goes by without the deal getting done makes it less likely it will happen. That being said, I suspect Fisher could call up anytime today and agree to the terms and it would still happen.

AS I said before, if it doesn't work out, look for FSU to look at one of USC's co-offensive coordinators. Interestingly, I've heard Alabama's next target at OC after Fisher is USC's Steve Sarkisian. I've also heard there's a chance Alabama may have given up on Fisher - if that happens FSU and Alabama could again be batting head-to-head for an OC candidate.

One interesting note on another candidate I heard about today is that Valdosta State head coach Chris Hatcher could get back in the mix. He heard from FSU recently that if it doesn't work out with Fisher, that he would talk with Bowden early next week and possibly get an interview.

2:58 p.m. Update

FSU president T. K. Wetherell has been in Montana during these negotiations and his plane is landing in Tallahassee at around 3:30 p.m. He will be taking over the show when he gets in and I hear he will make sure this thing will wrap up quickly, one way or another today.

We've been hearing a contract term or terms could be the hold-up with Jimbo Fisher not signing the deal but it could also be the possibility of the Georgia Tech job becoming available. According to the AJC, the Miami Dolphins have received permission to interview Tech head coach Chan Gailey for the head coaching position. If he were to go to Miami, there has been speculation that Fisher could be a top candidate for the Tech job. It could be that agent Jimmy Sexton is holding the FSU deal up as long as possible in order gauge how serious a possibility that Fisher could take over the Yellow Jackets.

Either way, I don't think FSU is going to give Fisher/Sexton much time to make a final decision.

Previously, I mentioned that USC's Steve Sarkisian or 31-year old co-OC and WR coach Lane Kiffin as the next most likely OC targets after Fisher. I heard from another source that it won't be Sarkisian because he has other opportunities that would probably be more appealing. That means, Kiffin is the most likely target. How that would play out with the quarterback coach is hard to say.

7:00 p.m. update

It's was very, very quiet for a while but I recently heard from our FSU source that the negotiations are going on right now and are very "heated", but at least both sides are talking. FSU President T. K. Wetherell is in town and spearheading the negotiations. No word on how close they are to getting this wrapped up.

What I am hearing more and more from the Alabama camp is that Jimbo Fisher may be out. They may have pulled the plug after their last offer and are looking elsewhere. Believe it or not, that could leave Fisher right back where he started -- at LSU. Contrary to some message board posts, I do not believe he has officially "resigned" from his OC post at LSU. So if the FSU deal falls through, he may have not option but to go back to LSU, although it would probably be a little awkward since everybody figured he was out the door.
    On another note, I was able to take 45 minutes off and take the wife and kids out for pizza.

9:23 p.m. update

Just checking in to let you know I didn't forget everybody. There has been no news on the FSU front - I assume they are still negotiating. But I have heard from two more sources that LSU is still very involved with Fisher and may in fact be throwing him a few more bones to keep him in Baton Rouge. Although he doesn't have the best relationship with LSU head coach Les Miles, the AD and others at LSU still think highly of him and want him to stay on.

So he will hardly be left in the cold should the FSU deal not get done.

9:59 PM Fisher offer withdrawn

FSU withdraws offer to Jimbo Fisher
    This post was edited on 1/6 10:28 PM by animal2005if(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

2. jdubb247

jdubb247
    Expand Collapse

Re: ** Updated Coaching Nuggets - 2:15 pm **

JF just come to FSU already, I've got to get some work done!

3. Shadetree Nole

Shadetree Nole
    Expand Collapse

Good idea

4. FSUmac

FSUmac
    Expand Collapse

hahahaa

5. FSUdawg

FSUdawg
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

Dot - can you please comment on the claim in a thread below that Alabama is also trying to lure Odell away?

6. BornANole

BornANole
    Expand Collapse
    Freshman
    Gold Member

This is worse than recruiting season.

7. sgbstogie

sgbstogie
    Expand Collapse

I am getting scared

8. fsufan10016

fsufan10016
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

thanks for all the updates dot.

9. RockNole

RockNole
    Expand Collapse

There is a growing part of my mind that hopes that he doesn't come to FSU. This has been ridiculous. I can say this, he better turn things around quickly for all the $$ he is demanding.

10. Hubster

Hubster
    Expand Collapse

My source in Alabama feels it 50/50 as well.

11. MIS Nole

MIS Nole
    Expand Collapse

This is more important than Fisher. FSU would be better off with Sark imo anyways.

12. taco.

taco.
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

Tic Tock Tick Tock

13. DCSeminole

DCSeminole
    Expand Collapse

Let the "i'm cool with Jimbo" posts begin!

14. sflanoleman

sflanoleman
    Expand Collapse
    Star Player
    Gold Member

Man you know its a soap opera when even Dot is saying he can't take it anymore. If Fisher decides to come to FSU he needs to open himself up to the fans so we can ask him why the hell he was so wishy washy during the process and what was going on behind the friggin scenes that was holding everything up....LOL!

If he says FSU at 4:00 please make him sign the friggin contract so that this can be over!
    This post was edited on 1/5 2:31 PM by sflanolemanif(GetAdminCookie() != 0) {document.write(' (Revisions[/URL])');}

15. c dowlar

c dowlar
    Expand Collapse

hmmm

16. Nolesousa

Nolesousa
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

I think we're all ready for this to be over.

17. bigN!

bigN!
    Expand Collapse
    Freshman
    Gold Member

This is why I pay my money DOT!

18. hits28

hits28
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

DOT you deserve a raise after all this is said and done. Thanks for all the hard work

19. Seminole_Wizard

Seminole_Wizard
    Expand Collapse

If they keep this up, we're gonna have to burn this website down.

20. FLSt8LAW

FLSt8LAW
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

Thanks for everything you're doing to keep us informed.

21. Manhattan NOLE

Manhattan NOLE
    Expand Collapse

TGIF

22. crozea55

crozea55
    Expand Collapse

Even Dot is getting rattled. Now you know this whole thing is "effed" up.

23. ChosenOne2825

ChosenOne2825
    Expand Collapse

lets get this over with

24. BR252

BR252
    Expand Collapse

ENOUGH ALREADY IN OR OUT

25. primetime13

primetime13
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

shake and bake

26. OklaNOLEma

OklaNOLEma
    Expand Collapse

Stop the madness Jimbo.

27. TDFSU1

TDFSU1
    Expand Collapse
    Starter
    Gold Member

This has actually become rather comical at this point.

28. kchinaman8

kchinaman8
    Expand Collapse

Is there any truth to Bama going after Odell DOT??

29. Nole AT2

Nole AT2
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

Dot might need to add "seconds" to his updates as we approach 4:00.

Hang on Jimbo.

30. nolesfansc

nolesfansc
    Expand Collapse

Like FSUdawg posted, I would certainly like to hear more in regards to Alabama now supposedly approaching Odell.

This is a major concern for me and a major disapointment in Kevin Steele that he would go this route.

31. nole-in-one

nole-in-one
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

OMG!! I feel like I'm getting teased by some hot chick at a club. Every time I show interest she gives me th cold shoulder, but when I start to walk away she's all over me again. I hope Dot's right about the 4 pm thing...I can't take this anymore. Hopefully at 4 she'll be with me in the VIP room and not leaving with some other guy.

32. LilNoles2006

LilNoles2006
    Expand Collapse

Odell isn't going to leave FSU. Hub, I don't doubt your source that he's been contacted, but he's not going to leave FSU... at least I hope not. I just can't see it.

This is going to be a wild weekend.

33. ChieFSUpreme

ChieFSUpreme
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

This saga can't end fast enough!

34. noleram1

noleram1
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

in the words of Chevy Chase "Holy S^&%. Where's the Tylenol?!!!"

35. Pben

Pben
    Expand Collapse

Dot man up....you will ride this out till the very bitter end.....

I haven't been this entertained since my first Donkey show in Thailand.

36. AtlNole11

AtlNole11
    Expand Collapse
    Freshman
    Gold Member

Now you know this gone way too far, when DOT says he cant take it anymore. The sad thing is if JF has a bad game know one will let him slide because of this crap he is putting us through. (If he comes here that is)

37. NoleRob

NoleRob
    Expand Collapse
    Star Player
    Gold Member

I'll be glad when this is over too. I guess we're getting ready to see what this guy is really made of.

38. EHNole05

EHNole05
    Expand Collapse

Y'all gotta admit this is fun

39. seminolephil

seminolephil
    Expand Collapse

I'd rather have Sark.

40. OldCrow21

OldCrow21
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

He is going to come to FSU.

41. DCSeminole

DCSeminole
    Expand Collapse

The Mullet has spoken!!! I believe what he says!!

42. hb7764

hb7764
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

Damn and I was just getting used to the idea of Sarkisian or Kiffer. As I said in a reply to an earlier post if Fisher has gotten on a plane its not for a hunting trp. That plane is headed two one of two places, both of which begin with the letter T.

43. Pben

Pben
    Expand Collapse

I keep the window minimized, peek in here, and than just LMAO....

I bet at 4pm just for effect Rivals goes down.

44. STNole

STNole
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

I dont even want him anymore. He is just like his lying POS friend. If he was a man of his word this would not be an issue. The fact that he is going back and forth tells you everything about this man. Regardless if he ends up here or not. BB needs to get a plane ticket out to LA.

45. rustytew

rustytew
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

I took a sleeping pill last night and I still couldn't sleep. I can't imagine what it is like for you, Dot. You probably haven't slept for 48 hours.

46. Wild@HeartNole

Wild@HeartNole
    Expand Collapse

If it was just as a QB coach, I'd rather have Sark as well. As a coordinator, my gut says Fisher.

47. Thebear612

Thebear612
    Expand Collapse
    Freshman
    Gold Member

I've picked a bad day to stop sniffing glue!

48. cpbryan

cpbryan
    Expand Collapse

NICE "Sack of Monkey S* He IS!!!!"

49. taco.

taco.
    Expand Collapse
    Gold Member

We are hear for you DOT.

50. mjc4

mjc4
    Expand Collapse
    Walk-on
    Gold Member

Were you in the audience or a participant?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.