ADVERTISEMENT

Upload speed versus Download speed?

1batman

Star Player
Sep 24, 2002
Att tells me their speed is 18 Mps....Comcast tells me their speed is 50Mbps download and 10Mbps....which is faster/better? I am on ATT at $181 month for wireless and three HD Tvs....Comcast says they can give me the same programming, no contract, at $129.....doesn't seem poss

Basic cable up here

4326341956.png

So many factors. 1 problem with Comcast's advertised speed is they Speedboost. So they temp boost your speed for the first X# of bytes to get to that #. That Download speed is not consistent throughout especially for a larger download. AT&T is more consistent throughout and in general is dedicated/segmented to your household. Comcast speed and line is shared with the # of users coming from the hub.

Honestly I have had both and I do not do a town of downloading. I play PS4 online and work from home using remote access and I have not had problems with either when they are running. And they run 99% of the time. So I switch back and forth based on who is offering the better deal price wise. So usually every 1 to 2 years I switch and they are usually running a promo to give me anywhere from a $100 - $250 visa gift card.

So many factors. 1 problem with Comcast's advertised speed is they Speedboost. So they temp boost your speed for the first X# of bytes to get to that #. That Download speed is not consistent throughout especially for a larger download. AT&T is more consistent throughout and in general is dedicated/segmented to your household. Comcast speed and line is shared with the # of users coming from the hub.

Honestly I have had both and I do not do a town of downloading. I play PS4 online and work from home using remote access and I have not had problems with either when they are running. And they run 99% of the time. So I switch back and forth based on who is offering the better deal price wise. So usually every 1 to 2 years I switch and they are usually running a promo to give me anywhere from a $100 - $250 visa gift card.

Great feedback, thanks...I am not a gamer, periodically watch Youtube videos, that is it....still surprised there is such a difference in price....

Great feedback, thanks...I am not a gamer, periodically watch Youtube videos, that is it....still surprised there is such a difference in price....
Not sure they quoted you a total price at comcast. That may be the base rate. Then they charge you per receiver. 1 is usually included in the price. So if you want hd on 2 additional tvs it may be an extra $7 or so per receiver. Also if you do not have own modem they may charge you a rental fee for that as well.

Last edited:
It depends on what you do... most people surfing the net, streaming, etc. will do much better with an unbalanced connection (small up, big down) because requests are small and responses to those requests are big. If for some reason you do a lot of upload then a balanced pipe would be better.

1 ms ping seems... odd.

I remember torching folks in CTF when I had 250ms, even 300ms ping times...
We didn't have your fancy reflexes. We had to rely on preflexes!

LOL! Or you were lagging to everyone else in the game. That used to annoy me. Other player is lagging and ends up with all the kills and or captures. And you are like that is such BS. Major ping and or server advantage.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT