ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT Gold Cup Roster

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Nick Rimando (Real Salt Lake), William Yarbrough (Club Leon)

Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club America), John Brooks (Hertha Berlin), Timmy Chandler (Eintracht Frankfurt), Brad Evans (Seattle Sounders FC), Omar Gonzalez (LA Galaxy), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Mönchengladbach), Tim Ream (Bolton Wanderers)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Alejandro Bedoya (Nantes), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Alfredo Morales (Ingolstadt), DeAndre Yedlin (Tottenham Hotspur), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy), Graham Zusi (Sporting Kansas City)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Clint Dempsey (Seattle Sounders FC), Aron Johannsson (AZ Alkmaar), Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes)

A) Again, what does Timmy Chandler have on Jurgen to continue getting this treatment?

B) Why Wondo over all those other striker options we've seen recently? (although listing Zardes as a Mid might mitigate some of this)

I'm assuming the Starting XI will be most likely
Guzan,
Chandler(ugh)/Gonzalez/Brooks/Johnson,
Bedoya/Beckerman/Bradley/Diskerud,
Dempsey/Altidore.

Chandler must Klinsmann's kid's favorite or something. We know he loves to make decisions with the kid in mind. (see: Donovan, Landon)

how is Bradley still on this team?

what happened to Tim Howard

Tim Howard hasn't officially retired from the National Team, but he is staying out of competition through 2016 I believe. At that time I think he is supposed to decide if he is going to be part of the World Cup rotation or if he is going to officially retire from the MNT. I personally think it is good he is not participating currently as it is giving Guzan a lot of time to play and get experience.

Regarding Bradley, he is there because of experience and when he is on form he deserves to be on the team.

Wondolowski was a surprise to me. I understand the roster needed to come from the 35 man provisional, and a lot of the younger guys weren't even on it, but I would have thought one of the younger guys would have taken the place Wondo was given.

how is Bradley still on this team?

what happened to Tim Howard

Bradley is the best midfielder in the US. He's not nearly as good as a number of other countries, but he's the only real option we have at that position. He was also very uncomfortable as an attacking midfielder as he's much more naturally a defending midfielder. I think he's starting to grasp that position a bit more though and he looked very good the last few games. I think him working with Altidore and Giovanni in Toronto this year is really starting to pay off for him.

I see Bradley has been named the captain, probably because of Dempsey's ban over a couple of years for a couple of tourneys.

Brad Davis was injured and the replacement will be Greg Garza once USA gets approval. Upgrade, IMHO.

I was sad to see Shea didn't make it, however watching him attempt to play vs Colorado showed it was necessary. He's got a pretty bad muscle pull it appears.

ADVERTISEMENT