ADVERTISEMENT

USMNT starts World Cup Qualifying this week (Friday)

fsUTampa

Star Player
May 31, 2003
Friday is the first match, vs St Vincent & the Grenadines in St. Louis. Then a trip to Trinidad & Tobago (the only other "good" team in the 4-team group USA is a part of) on Tuesday, Nov 17th. I was hoping Jurgen would go very young, as there's no reason why we shouldn't move on from this group no matter who is senior-team eligible. But here's the callups:

Goalkeepers: Brad Guzan (Aston Villa), Bill Hamid (D.C. United), Tim Howard (Everton)

Defenders: Ventura Alvarado (Club America), Matt Besler (Sporting Kansas City), Geoff Cameron (Stoke City), Fabian Johnson (Borussia Monchengladbach), Matt Miazga (New York Red Bulls), Michael Orozco (Tijuana), Tim Ream (Fulham), Brek Shea (Orlando City)

Midfielders: Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake), Michael Bradley (Toronto FC), Mix Diskerud (New York City FC), Jermaine Jones (New England Revolution), Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers), DeAndre Yedlin (Sunderland), Miguel Ibarra (Leon)

Forwards: Jozy Altidore (Toronto FC), Alan Gordon (LA Galaxy), Jordan Morris (Stanford), Bobby Wood (Union Berlin), Gyasi Zardes (LA Galaxy)

Maybe Miazga will get a shot on the backline? Can't be any worse.

Why exactly is Beckerman being called up at all? His time should be done as he's too old and won't be playing in Russia. And hopefully Jones doesn't get much playing time either.

At least the young guys will get their chances up top.

Seems there's others we could've called up for this trip, as the March games (2 versus Guatamala) are the most important of this group stage, so this was the time to experiment. Play the youngsters and figure out who's international-worthy.

I am also really tired of the older guys continuing to get playing time. Jones and Beckerman should only see the field in case of injury in my opinion. I'm also frustrated that Yedlin is still being used as a midfielder. I am no expert but I would think that its hurting his development considering he is a defender when playing in the Premier League. Also think it sends a bad message when you say you want our players to play in Europe yet you don't trust European coaches opinions.

I think this line up is very damning. I'll admit, I've fallen in to a bit of USMNT hangover after the World Cup and have not followed as closely as I'd like, but a couple of observations/questions.

There are a LOT of MLS names on that list, have our guys fallen that far out of favor internationally? It felt that, going in to qualifying last time, our call up roster was almost exclusively based in Europe.

Seeing that those defenders are what's been fairly leaky of late, is our development pool that lackluster that this is what we are rolling with?

Glad to see Shea on the list. Its amazing just how much better Orlando City was with him back in the lineup. He's one of the brighter spots for US Soccer right now.

I hope that Howard is the keeper, as Guzan was horrible against Mexico, I don't think he got a hand on any of the three that went in. Did anyone catch that save that Guzan made this weekend against Man City this weekend where Guzan made a save with his face (I joked with my wife that there's another shot Guzan didn't get his hands on)? It was more self defense than a save, and I can't remember who headed the ball, but at first glance it appeared that Guzan made a lightning quick save with his hand but the replay showed that his hands were at his sides when the ball hit him square in the face, just below the forehead.

_86578041_sterling.jpg

Hey Manch pretty happy to see Jesse Lindegard get some senior team reps... I don't understand the Alan Gordan call up? Waste of a call up that could go to a younger striker..would like to see how Morris, Miazga, Nagbe do..Also irritates me that Julian Green isn't getting anything (I know he's not playing but he should be able to play atleast against St. Vincent)

Hey Manch pretty happy to see Jesse Lindegard get some senior team reps...

Ya, United needs to do something, they are not creating scoring chances and Lindgard (no E on Lindgard) gives them a different pace where at least Lindgard can create something. It was nice to see him get his first senior goal after coming close, especially against City.

I hope this team can begin to turn it around. I was a fan of Klinsman after the WC but it seems he has lost the team some. I like the idea of playing a lot of younger guys now. The Dempsey, Jones, Bradley era won't get us any further in 2018. I still like Michael Bradley-- I know he isn't a favorite here but from everything I read on the Big Soccer forum it appears it's Klinsman's fault as he plays Bradley out of position (not sure about that though).

I think the team needs to move on from Jozy A., Beckerman, as well.

I may be the only one but is anyone else enjoying the MLS playoffs? Seattle may need to clean house this offseason, at least from what I read.

Ya, United needs to do something, they are not creating scoring chances and Lindgard (no E on Lindgard) gives them a different pace where at least Lindgard can create something. It was nice to see him get his first senior goal after coming close, especially against City.

Didn't even notice I put the E on it..Sucks when you have fat fingers and type on mobile. So what you do with Rooney? I believe he's 29 but all the games I've watched he hasn't looked that good or Rooney of old

Hey Manch pretty happy to see Jesse Lindegard get some senior team reps... I don't understand the Alan Gordan call up? Waste of a call up that could go to a younger striker..would like to see how Morris, Miazga, Nagbe do..Also irritates me that Julian Green isn't getting anything (I know he's not playing but he should be able to play atleast against St. Vincent)

Julian Green is actually on the U23 roster which needs to beat Colombia to get into the Olympics. I believe they are about to head to Brazil for a couple warm up games in an effort to get ready for the game with Colombia. There is another somewhat prominent young player on that U23 team who had been playing with the Senior squad, but I cannot recall who it is.

Julian Green is actually on the U23 roster which needs to beat Colombia to get into the Olympics. I believe they are about to head to Brazil for a couple warm up games in an effort to get ready for the game with Colombia. There is another somewhat prominent young player on that U23 team who had been playing with the Senior squad, but I cannot recall who it is.

I think you're thinking of Gedion Zelalem https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gedion_Zelalem

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT