ADVERTISEMENT

Very important question that I finally have the courage to ask...

Nole Lou

Seminole Insider
Apr 5, 2002
Does anyone else have a problem opening paper-covered straws nowadays by banging them on the table?

When I was a kid, it was the most reliable thing in the world...you got a straw, you banged it on the table and popped the straw out, and then you pulled out the straw out of the rest of the paper.

Why can't I do this reliably any more? 90+% of the time the straw breaks/crimps, or it doesn't make a clear break through the paper. I never had to pick around the paper of a straw to open it up when I was younger.

Are straws weaker than they used to be? Is the paper stronger?

Or have I just somehow lost the ability to do it...is there a flaw in my technique that I can potentially correct?

Blame Obama if you're a Republican.

Blame George Bush if you're a Democrat.

Either way, it's not your Fault.

you're too strong....need to lay off the steroids.

I've noticed the same thing in recent years. Actually it's to the point where I don't even try just punching the straw out anymore. I've had too many instances where said straw was damaged afterward to the point where it was ineffective in bringing the beverage to my lips.

My guess is companies are trying to skimp by with cheaper materials thus causing the finished straws to be weaker than they were before. A good test would be to see if you can still puncture a baked potato with one.

I've developed a new technique. I rip it around the straw.

Basically like when a waiter leaves the end on the straw, that's the outcome. It's fool proof & you never ruin your straw doing it this way.

My butler unwraps the straw and inserts in in the cup for me. You need to find new help.

Why can't I do this reliably any more? 90+% of the time the straw breaks/crimps, or it doesn't make a clear break through the paper. I never had to pick around the paper of a straw to open it up when I was younger.

Are straws weaker than they used to be? Is the paper stronger?

?

You included the possibilities that the straws are weaker, and the possibility that the paper is stronger. You missed the 3rd, and more likely, cause. NoleLou is weaker.

They are now wrapped tighter than a sewed shut virgin.

I find a spot on one end, and teat it straight down.........the straw wrapper that is..

You kind of have to .. snatched it fast.....

Ok, I'm glad I'm not the only one.

I only use a straw when getting it for the car, so it will have to be my chauffer's job from now on.

Stick straw with paper in mouth. Pull off the end in your mouth. Blow larger, dry portion remaining on straw at kid one. Wad piece up in mouth and blow at kid two...

This. You always at least poison-dart-blow-gun the wrapper at your parent or your kid. Twist the end to give it more accuracy.

I've evolved to pulling on both ends until it rips. Sort of like one of those New Years poppers. Clearly the straw making companies saw an opportunity to make straws using less material. Also, we drink from plastic straws nowadays, not paper straws, old man. ;)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT