ADVERTISEMENT

Walking Dead Season 7 Priemere ***SPOILERS***

I was a huge critic of the cliffhanger, but I've changed my mind seeing how it needed to be so much more than a swing of a bat.
Or they could've just made this entire episode the finale of last season... I think that would've been far better all around. It felt weird having this episode be the first episode of a new season.

Agree with those who say the violence was over the top, completely unnecessary. Might be the first time in a long time that I watched something and felt a little less human afterwards. Is that really what we want to see as a TV audience? That's sad. Don't know that I'll keep watching at this point.
Glad to see Glenn go, didn't need to see the blow by blow.
Also agree with others who thought negan was over acted.

One of the actors (forgot who it was) basically said that the reason it was so gruesome was so that the audience could feel and understand what the group went through. Basically, saying that all of Rick’s group members are going to be fundamentally different and changed, for the audience to understand the changes, they had to experience it. Put that way, it makes sense, but it was still hard to watch.

Last edited:
Or they could've just made this entire episode the finale of last season... I think that would've been far better all around. It felt weird having this episode be the first episode of a new season.
I can see that. Personally I think it was a lot more effective as an opener. It's unconventional but I suspect they didn't want the rawness to wear off over 4 months waiting for the new season to start.

One thing I will say they accomplished is stirring a lot of differing opinions on his board, always a good thing that makes for interesting conversation.

Reactions: FSUSarah
I agree that this episode took the gruesomeness up about 10 levels from anything they had done previously. I had a hard time watching it - which I guess is what they were going for. I also think it would have been a much better fit if they aired it as the season ending episode last Spring.

The question that kept popping up in my head (not unlike Glenn's eyeball) was "do they do something like this for every group they take over?" Did they take out one or two of the Hilltop group in a similar fashion so that the rest of them would fall in line? I kept thinking that there have to be several groups he has brought into the fold so is this just another Thursday night for his group or is this a special instance because they had lost some people to Rick's group?

If this wasn't the first time they decimated a group to teach a lesson it was definitely over-the-top sappy IMO. I mean, he drove Rick away when it was dark and came back when it was light out....and his group just sat in a circle waiting that whole time? I don't think he said anything about where he was taking Rick or how long they'd be so I wonder if this was his go-to move after the initial beating if they weren't 100% submissive. I could imagine someone yelling out "you did eeny, meeny last time! Do duck, duck, goose to this group!"

Sorry if I went way off topic with this post but it was just where my mind went during the beatings.

The question that kept popping up in my head (not unlike Glenn's eyeball) was "do they do something like this for every group they take over?" Did they take out one or two of the Hilltop group in a similar fashion so that the rest of them would fall in line? I kept thinking that there have to be several groups he has brought into the fold so is this just another Thursday night for his group or is this a special instance because they had lost some people to Rick's group?
Rick & crew took out a good number of saviors including some in their sleep at the satellite station. I think it was Negan showing his people not to challenge him and also that he has their back should an outside group try anything.

I can see that. Personally I think it was a lot more effective as an opener. It's unconventional but I suspect they didn't want the rawness to wear off over 4 months waiting for the new season to start.
Yea but on the other side of that same coin... the momentum gained from the first half of that "Negan scene" had worn off after 4 months. I would have cared more if this episode was shown 4 months ago.

Reactions: LesClaypool

Yes. Hilltoppers even said that he beat a kid to death with a bat right in front of them. And they keep pictures of all of his kills. Glenn saw them on the wall when they went and killed the sleeping Saviors. Someone took a picture of Glenn/Abraham before they took off. Also the group that Daryl blew up also talked about they usually just kill one person off the bat so that everyone knows they mean business.

Back to the violence one last time....

Rick et al also have showed they are capable of brutality. Not only did they assassinate the sleeping Saviors on the word of strangers, remember they hacked up a bunch of the Terminus people in the church. Human on human violence has been going on for seasons. The Governor decapitated Hershel. But yes this was the worst of the worst.

I thought it made sense to show him being so brutal. Some could have been implied sure, but it was pretty graphic. Didn't really bother me from the story telling perspective or the "you showed what on tv?" "Ah, news flash, its a show where people eat each other. Not kid tv."

It going on and on definitely had to be done to "break" Rick. I thought it was funny him dragging Rick around by the back of this jacket. Def hard to be tough when, as a grown man, you are getting tossed around by the scruff of your neck. And then at the end he made Rick break down and cry, but gave him something back to NOT cut Carl.

I saw the peek of next week, but did think it was worth a debate. Did he actually break Rick's will, did Rick just get temporarily broken (like when he became a crazy, ghost seeing farmer) or is it all an act? Clearly Maggie is ready for vengeance.

Back to the violence one last time....

Rick et al also have showed they are capable of brutality. Not only did they assassinate the sleeping Saviors on the word of strangers, remember they hacked up a bunch of the Terminus people in the church. Human on human violence has been going on for seasons. The Governor decapitated Hershel. But yes this was the worst of the worst.
I expect that in this show and I didn't feel bad for Rick's group because of the history you mentioned. I just didn't need such a detailed blow by blow.

Yup, Ricks crew did the exact same thing and killed many more saviors without thinking about what that might lead to.

They got off easy only losing two people.

I think the Terminus trough scene was worse than this. The Terminus folks were luring people in and then slaughtering them like cattle and eating them, Negan was making a point after 30 something of his people were slaughtered by a stranger who had not been wronged by Negan. I think he's a nut, but at this point in the story it's easy to argue that Negan is the good guy. Negan made a very harsh point to the group that had wronged him while Rick makes it a point to kill everyone in a group that wrongs him - remember his statement after they escaped Terminus " none of these people can live".

The dynamics of this show is starting to remind me of Breaking Bad; who are the "good guys?" Rick and co. aren't necessarily the good guys just because we've grown to love the characters. The "sleep killing" changed everything for this group and we've just tipped the iceberg of the ramifications for that (now) terrible decision.

The dynamics of this show is starting to remind me of Breaking Bad; who are the "good guys?" Rick and co. aren't necessarily the good guys just because we've grown to love the characters. The "sleep killing" changed everything for this group and we've just tipped the iceberg of the ramifications for that (now) terrible decision.

Exactly. Maggie's even says...this will cost us. I bet they never imagined that this would be the cost though.

Reactions: peezy28
Sweet. I should be on Talking Dead haha! In reality, I don't have a life here in MS so in my spare time, I rewatched the whole series.

Reactions: DanC78
I was probably more current than most; I'd never watched the show at all, but mid-summer went on a binge & watched the first 5 seasons on Netflix. Then when Season 6 dropped to NF I watched it over the course of a few evenings.

Now I'm stuck with the rest of you idiots, waiting a week between episodes.

I was probably more current than most; I'd never watched the show at all, but mid-summer went on a binge & watched the first 5 seasons on Netflix. Then when Season 6 dropped to NF I watched it over the course of a few evenings.

Now I'm stuck with the rest of you idiots, waiting a week between episodes.

You could do like this idiot (and apparently Sarah) and just watch them all again. :) I really don't like watching current TV, would rather binge a show but there are a couple that I do stay current with.

Another thought of the recent killings is that it was the first time Glenn killled a person I think. It represented the whole group becoming more hardened.

Yes. Hilltoppers even said that he beat a kid to death with a bat right in front of them. And they keep pictures of all of his kills. Glenn saw them on the wall when they went and killed the sleeping Saviors. Someone took a picture of Glenn/Abraham before they took off. Also the group that Daryl blew up also talked about they usually just kill one person off the bat so that everyone knows they mean business.

Thanks for the recap....it is all coming back to me now.

I also thought this was pretty funny.

0rm4c52gnttx.png

Yeah I didn't think this was any more gruesome than Human Cattle Line up and bleed out or the Church Massacre.

It does appear this scene had a similar affect as the Red Wedding and the Killing of Ned had on some Game of Thrones/ASOIAF fans.

I think that is a good comparison. Glenn was so beloved and Abraham was just awesome. And we don't to talk about the Starks. I had very similar reactions to those 2 episodes.

Next episode spoilers are up on TWDArmy if you want em . It's a Daryl episode .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT