ADVERTISEMENT

Wasting money on searches and trials etc

cmanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2002
The search thread got me on this. They say they were wasting millions on the search for the kids and that some trial is going to cost the state millions and millions, etc. Isn't that what they do? Isn't the money going to be spent anyway? Just because the Coast Guard isn't actively searching for those two kids won't they be doing something, just not that? And just because the state isn't at trial prosecuting so and so, won't they be prosecuting somebody or doing something? I don't get this line of logic...

Agreed wrt the search. Had just posted something similar in the search thread.

The staff is going to get paid anyway, so it's true that it's a sunk cost - but in the case of the search, they're burning up an abundance of fuel that otherwise would still be in the tank.

The staff is going to get paid anyway, so it's true that it's a sunk cost - but in the case of the search, they're burning up an abundance of fuel that otherwise would still be in the tank.

True but they're still going to do training exercises. Maybe not to the same degree but aren't the searches just an extension of a training exercise?

I bet they were still running patrols while they searched so the fuel for the search was incremental. It's not like they stopped all other operations during the search.

Right, so when they say they spent X amount of millions searching for so and so it's very misleading, in my mind anyway...

You don't magically get to double equipment and personnel too during the search.

How about a murder trial like the one in Tampa a week or two ago. The killer was found guilty as charged. He's already been convicted of three other murders (sentenced to life in prison on the first, then death penalties for the other two in which he killed a couple of cops).

So the State spent whatever it took to prosecute on this 4th murder charge, despite the fact that there's no remote chance the guy will ever live another day outside of a maximum security prison. And, of course, he's appealing this murder conviction, so the State will be burning through more funds, it'll tie up the courts additionally, etc.

Right, so when they say they spent X amount of millions searching for so and so it's very misleading, in my mind anyway...
Not really. A search pattern takes much more fuel. Imagine the difference between driving your lawn mower across your yard, vs actually mowing it.

Not really. A search pattern takes much more fuel. Imagine the difference between driving your lawn mower across your yard, vs actually mowing it.

Confused-gif.gif

ADVERTISEMENT