ADVERTISEMENT

We lost a good one

billanole

Veteran Seminole Insider
Mar 5, 2005
Jim Joanos devoted countless hours to the community and region and his love for FSU was probably only eclipsed by that he held for family and church.
He was an amazing trove of Nole history. My old man was a longtime friend and they always lit up at seeing each other. RIP in peace, good sir.

Last edited:
So we had this guy named Henry Hill, he cooked at a place called The Firefly and he cooked well. He also told stories about his past life and got people to do things for him. Henry was a gangster, not a lay about but a real old school gangster. We looked up to him because we were dumb kids. Henry had my nephew running drugs from Denver to north platte Nebraska by the time he was 14. My nephew killed himself a year back, he had ALS and was starting to lose control of his body. He talked to me about the things he did for Henry and it was pretty sick. Henry was a bad man but I didn’t understand that until I got much older. Goodfellas is bullcrap. Gangsters are trash people and they’re not very smart.

Last edited:
Reactions: BrianNole777
So we had this guy named Henry Hill, he cooked at a place called The Firefly and he cooked well. He also told stories about his past life and got people to do things for him. Henry was a gangster, not a lay about but a real old school gangster. We looked up to him because we were dumb kids. Henry had my nephew running drugs from Denver to north platte Nebraska by the time he was 14. My nephew killed himself a year back, he had ALS and was starting to lose control of his body. He talked to me about the things he did for Henry and it was pretty sick. Henry was a bad man but I didn’t understand that until I got much older. Goodfellas is bullcrap. Gangsters are trash people and they’re not very smart.
Zzz.

Reactions: F4Gary
Goodfellas was a portrayal of Hill before he went to witness protection. Based on a true story and true story are different things. I saw a documentary on Hill and it said he really went south after witness protection and when they booted him out in the late 80's.

Anyway not sure what any of this has to do with the thread.

Last edited:
Goodfellas was a portrayal of Hill before he went to witness protection. Based on a true story and true story are different things. I saw a documentary on Hill and it said he really went south after witness protection and when they booted him out in the late 80's.

Anyway not sure what any of this has to do with the thread.
I just wanted to talk. You like dogs?

RIP in peace, Coach Mike.
He was one of my PE coaches at Godby HS while he coached the BBteam. Fun as hell, he was a cut up.
His signature move was standing at half court, bending backwards and hitting a two handed over his head shot. If he didn’t hit the shot, almost always it was at least rim or back board.
I never hit the shot, but got back board often.
The dude was fun, but direct and held us accountable.
Godby was a new school and another of my PE coaches Frank Keel wound up coaching up a strong baseball program. Butch Benson was perhaps his best guy, a pro catcher.
The football team won the highest state class back then, 4A, the year after I graduated. Sammy Knight went on as QB to lead FAMU to the IAA Natty in football. Chris Hobbs was a RB for one of the UM natties. Frank Mordica went on to Vandy as a RB and held their all time records for years.
We went toe to toe with some of the great Leon HS teams back then. Wally Woodham and Jimmy Jordan QB’d both for Leon and FSU... Jimmy also in the USFL. Mike Shumann caught passes at Leon, FSU, and the 49’ers. Kurt Unglaub was a fearless receiver over the middle who logged many catches for both Leon and the Noles. Yancey Sutton was a stout Leon LB who went on to a good run with the gators. Yancey is deaf.
It was a golden era of sports in Tally and 11 was one of the guys leading the charge. Thanks Coach. RIP in peace, old friend.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT