ADVERTISEMENT

What a weird sport college football is and has been..

Ohio1nole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Nov 12, 2014
College football and basketball (mainly football) is such a weird sport in terms of how fans spend their money. Is there any other sport where fans give so much money to a booster program or now NIL fund, in order to secure players?

Compare it to baseball where there is no salary cap other than luxury tax. Are there any "funds" that fans can donate to in order for their team to secure top free agents? I know its not apples to apples since college football players are making anywhere from 10,000 to a few million and baseball players are making 50x that. But it has always been a weird model for me. That fans will donate to booster programs and now NIL funds. On top of season tickets, parking passes, merch etc..

Every pro sport, the fans do not just donate to the owner unless I am completely oblivious to something.

That is all. Random post, but I always find it interesting in how much money fans of college football give to their schools in order to put a great product on the field. And how we do not see that in the professional system.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News