ADVERTISEMENT

What's a great pet or animal charity?

Many areas have great foster groups, they are always needing funds for vet bills, food, toys, supplies etc. for example here we have BARC inc.
This.

We're a foster family for a dog rescue. Some of the dogs have hellacious vet bills.

Reactions: lurker2001
Hound Haven is a good one. Try to find local rescues run by people who don't have facilities and just rely on fosters. I went to a burgers and brew fest in April and one of the beneficiaries was Tallahassee Pets of America.

Don't bother with the ASPCA, they do some good stuff, but a lot of their donations go to lobbying and advertisements...not saying those things aren't needed, but that would take a more macro view of things and it's nice to actually know your money is going to food or vet bills rather than a contribution to a political campaign.

Reactions: lurker2001
"North Florida No More Homeless Pets" is a great one. Thanks to their efforts, Jacksonville has reached "no kill" status. They also include several surrounding counties in their mega-adoption events.

One problem with "no kill shelters" is that the animals are often kept in cages and have a bad quality of life. An animal rights person told me this a short time ago and I believe them. I refuse to investigate the issue myself further because it's too depressing.

One problem with "no kill shelters" is that the animals are often kept in cages and have a bad quality of life. An animal rights person told me this a short time ago and I believe them. I refuse to investigate the issue myself further because it's too depressing.

Maybe some are in cages at night, but that's better than dead. Besides most get to roam homes, yards until adopted. I doubt that is the norm for 24/7/ People that care enough to foster, care about these pets IMO. I am sure there are some bad apples. Even the local groups here check out any new foster folks and their homes before just giving pets to them to hold and care for until adoption.

Maybe some are in cages at night, but that's better than dead. Besides most get to roam homes, yards until adopted. I doubt that is the norm for 24/7/ People that care enough to foster, care about these pets IMO. I am sure there are some bad apples. Even the local groups here check out any new foster folks and their homes before just giving pets to them to hold and care for until adoption.

I thought that many stayed in cages all day. But like I said, I won't research it.

JLORY volunteers at Hound Haven. I bet they could use some donations. They seem to do a lot for the pups.
Yes, it is a great rescue and I believe 100% of donations go to the dogs with no administrative fees. We are a no kill shelter that rescues dogs (mainly labs) from kill shelters as well hard ship medical cases where the owner can't afford surgery. We have 4 big yards and the dogs are allowed outside in the morning for several hours, midday for several hours and early eve for 90 mins to 2 hours. We do adoption events at Petsmart and other places. Here is a link to the site. I've adopted from Houndhaven and have volunteered several days a week for two years now. Very rewarding and also fun interacting with the dogs. I love all of them!www.houndhaven.org

Last edited:
Yes, it is a great rescue and I believe 10% of donations go to the dogs with no administrative fees. We are a no kill shelter that rescues dogs (mainly labs) from kill shelters as well hard ship medical cases where the owner can't afford surgery. We have 4 big yards and the dogs are allowed outside in the morning for several hours, midday for several hours and early eve for 90 mins to 2 hours. We do adoption events at Petsmart and other places. Here is a link to the site. I've adopted from Houndhaven and have volunteered several days a week for two years now. Very rewarding and also fun interacting with the dogs. I love all of them!www.houndhaven.org
Wow they have a goldador. You wouldn't believe how badly we wanted that particular mix a few years ago.

Gold Coast Greyhound Adoptions...we are in Orlando, Clearwater, Gainesville, and Sarasota. I volunteer a lot of my time with this group and own 2 retired greyhounds of my own. It just doesn't get better than finding homes for retired athletes!! They are so deserving. ♡♡

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT