ADVERTISEMENT

Whats happened to Sears?

jamnolfin

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 29, 2002
Panama City Beach, Florida
If they pared it down to just an appliance/housewares store, I wonder if it wouldn't do a lot better? Seems like they still have good deals and quality stuff down on the first floor with the washers, dryers fridges, TVs, bbq grills, etc. It's the upper floor with the clothes where they're having a big problem. I've gone through there and there's no longer anything in there that I'd want my family to wear - regardless of cost. It shouldn't be hard to make decent clothes that aren't expensive, that would appeal to a wider segment of shoppers. Apparently it is though.

I always used Sears up until 10 years ago, great customer service, prices. What happened?

If you were using Sears all the time, can't you tell us?
Why did you quit going there and start going elsewhere?

My memories of Sears are flipping through the catalog while I was a kid in Germany and picking out Star Wars toys I hoped to get for xmas...

Reactions: Hungryjack
I had to give up Sears when Super Walmart opened up...

Reactions: RPMNole
A one time great company. I think at this point they are on life support, it's just a matter of time. People that complain about high salaries of CEO's need to look at this. If they would have had competent leadership they wouldn't be in this situation. I always used Sears up until 10 years ago, great customer service, prices. What happened?

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/sears-sales-plummet-by-double-digits-again/ar-BBllG6h
I was actually talking with a friend of mine about this over the weekend. It has to be upper level management, in recent years I have bought a LED TV, appliances, power tools, work clothes, hand tools etc. I am a very cost conscious shopper and I find their prices the best and the quality as good as there is.

I have read several articles which place the start of the decline on the purchase of K-Mart. Not sure why that was done but it does not appear as it has helped Sears at all

Got squeezed by the Walmarts, K-marts and Targets, and then even more by the internet. The tire/tool/marine sections were further squeezed by still other forces. Failed to change quickly enough in the face of dramatically changing buying behavior. Slow, plodding, mid-western leadership. Horrible marketing on top of all of that. Sad.

Another factor is the decline of the indoor shopping mall with anchor stores. Malls in general are dying. Online hurt as well. Amazon has now surpassed Walmart as #1 retailer. I am not sure if that is based on sales, profit or what.

They do have good brand names for appliances, and you would think they could trade just on that.

Another factor is the decline of the indoor shopping mall with anchor stores. Malls in general are dying. Online hurt as well. Amazon has now surpassed Walmart as #1 retailer. I am not sure if that is based on sales, profit or what.

They do have good brand names for appliances, and you would think they could trade just on that.
I think this is a big part of it.

Only have a buy a washer and dryer every 20 years, fridge every 10-15 years, and I have Craftsman tools (plus Home Depot and Lowe's did damage to that section too).

I love Sears for appliances and tools. They are usually my first and only stop when I need those things.

I had to give up Sears when Super Walmart opened up...
SW the worst friggin places to shop on the planet IMO!! Cheap prices but quality is cheap also. Worst customer service any place.

Not true. While not quite up to par with some of your outrageously expensive designer brands, the Walmart brands are every bit as good as most goods you'll find on the market and they are made in the good ol' US of A. And SW supports the troops and our seniors who built this fine nation. Long live Walmart!

Not true. While not quite up to par with some of your outrageously expensive designer brands, the Walmart brands are every bit as good as most goods you'll find on the market and they are made in the good ol' US of A. And SW supports the troops and our seniors who built this fine nation. Long live Walmart!

Not trying to get in a pissing contest but what have you found at Wally World still made in the USA? I used to buy clothes there all the time, then the same product line went to China and other overseas places and the quality went south quickly. They use to carry some good marine accessories but the same thing has happen there. I have two bowlines I bought there over 10years ago that are still in good shape, they were made in America. The ones they carry now will hardly make through one boating season and they are made in China.

When Sam Walton was alive it was my favorite place to shop because it was truly an American store, he save several garment plants slated for closure by getting them to retool to make Walmart products. The products were far superior to what you could buy other places, but that is not the case anymore. He had a policy if more than two customers were waiting in line he would open more registers. One of my last trips to WM (back at Christmas) there were 8 out of 32 registers open, 3 of the 5 self checkouts were not open and there was at least 6 people in every line waiting. It took me over 20 mins to get checked out. I have been to a Walmart 3 times since and it was around 5 am and I just got water to carry on the boat. I do my best to try and never go in a Walmart.

Last edited:
Target and the TJX Companies. The tools and auto service businesses are fine. They're getting crushed in clothes and home goods.

This is it.

Home Depot and Lowes stepped up their game during the housing boom and Sears did nothing. Didn't expand, didn't remodel, wasn't marketing at the same level etc. Their lunch was handed to them.

I still enjoy shopping for tools while there. Great selection and layed out nicely. Also reminds me of being a kid a shopping with my Dad on a Sunday.

My Dad always told me to buy all my tools there since they were guaranteed for life....and he doesn't even shop there anymore.

Sad indeed.

Not trying to get in a pissing contest but what have you found at Wally World still made in the USA? I used to buy clothes there all the time, then the same product line went to China and other overseas places and the quality went south quickly. They use to carry some good marine accessories but the same thing has happen there. I have two bowlines I bought there over 10years ago that are still in good shape, they were made in America. The ones they carry now will hardly make through one boating season and they are made in China.

When Sam Walton was alive it was my favorite place to shop because it was truly an American store, he save several garment plants slated for closure by getting them to retool to make Walmart products. The products were far superior to what you could buy other places, but that is not the case anymore. He had a policy if more than two customers were waiting in line he would open more registers. One of my last trips to WM (back at Christmas) there were 8 out of 32 registers open, 3 of the 5 self checkouts were not open and there was at least 6 people in every line waiting. It took me over 20 mins to get checked out. I have been to a Walmart 3 times since and it was around 5 am and I just got water to carry on the boat. I do my best to try and never go in a Walmart.

Just spitballin' man but I did recently buy some Wrangler swim trunks in there that were nice. But yeah, I hardly ever go in there but I do buy my appliances, yard stuff, garage stuff and auto repair stuff at Sears. The Shop Your Way Rewards Program is pretty sweet...

Reactions: DanC78
Places like Home Depot, Lowe's and Best Buy are killing Sears on appliances.

Whenever my wife and I have had to shop for appliances, we've never once considered Sears. Their prices aren't really competitive and their proprietary Kenmore stuff is garbage.

Sears is only on my radar for hand tools and Lands End product. That (Lands End) was a nice addition to the store, but it will prove to be too little too late.

Sears is only on my radar for hand tools and Lands End product. That (Lands End) was a nice addition to the store, but it will prove to be too little too late.

I think most people buy their tools and appliances at HD or Lowes these days.

Sears was the first superstore, but then niche superstores - HD for hardware, Best Buy for appliances, etc. - offered more selection, better and more locations, and more variety.

BTW, I think Sears separated Lands End to an independent company again.

They for whatever crazy reason bought Kmart. That was and is the worst investment they could have possibly made.

They were already in a spiral when they bought KMart. I remember when it happened and everyone was taken by surprise. You want to talk about a place that's gone downhill... how bad off do you have to be before Sears buys you?

Sears tried too hard to compete in its non-strength areas. Take clothing. "Oh yeah, you get your clothes at Sears!" was an insult when I was in elementary school 35 years ago. What hope do they have now?

On the other hand, we got our washer and dryer there about 15 years ago and haven't had any issues, and I have a Craftsman lawnmower (Made in USA) that is 25 years old and still going strong. Have never even had to get a tune up. So Sears has its strengths, it's just not cool enough or trendy enough to succeed anymore.

They for whatever crazy reason bought Kmart. That was and is the worst investment they could have possibly made.
So true!

The list of companies that were on top of the world, but lost their way include Sears, Kmart, Blackberry, all of Detroit, Borders, Circuit City, the University of Florida, Lionel, all investment banks except Goldman, and Sharper Image
The one on this list that blatantly stands out from the others handed out thousands of worthless pieces of paper like the one they ceremoniously gave to Corrine Brown.

My memories of Sears are flipping through the catalog while I was a kid in Germany and picking out Star Wars toys I hoped to get for xmas...

Whatever, everyone knows you were really fapping to the women's lingerie section .

As kids we always bought NFL gear at Sears. They were first store to carry NFL jackets, hats, gloves. Seems their marketing group lost touch with the times. JCPenney is a disaster as well.

unfortunately, Whirlpool are really rebranded LG or Electrolux products.

I think most people buy their tools and appliances at HD or Lowes these days.

Sears was the first superstore, but then niche superstores - HD for hardware, Best Buy for appliances, etc. - offered more selection, better and more locations, and more variety.

BTW, I think Sears separated Lands End to an independent company again.

Gotta love that you can return any Craftsman tool, in any condition, to Sears and they'll replace it.

Reactions: peezy28
Whatever, everyone knows you were really fapping to the women's lingerie section .

I guess you've never been to Europe if you think what's in a Sears catalog is more interesting than what you'll see in standard advertising over there.
Hell, if you were really bored you could also ride your bike over to the sand pits and take in some nude sunbathers.
Europeans aren't half as prudish as Americans when it comes to the nudity.

I have been to a Walmart 3 times since and it was around 5 am and I just got water to carry on the boat. I do my best to try and never go in a Walmart.

That's the awesome thing about Walmart.
It's 5am and you want bottled water - check.
It's 5am and you want a car battery - check.
It's 5am and you want a baby stroller - check.
It's 5am and you want a laptop - check.

This, but for appliances

f83dd11037fd9573c903469a6ec57804.gif

I quit because the only one is in Panama City and I live on the beach 20 miles away. I buy appliances from Home Depot and Lowes now.

I guess you've never been to Europe if you think what's in a Sears catalog is more interesting than what you'll see in standard advertising over there.
Hell, if you were really bored you could also ride your bike over to the sand pits and take in some nude sunbathers.
Europeans aren't half as prudish as Americans when it comes to the nudity.

That's the awesome thing about Walmart.
It's 5am and you want bottled water - check.
It's 5am and you want a car battery - check.
It's 5am and you want a baby stroller - check.
It's 5am and you want a laptop - check.

I go to Walmart at 9-10 at night and thats solves the crowd problem. The 4 Walmarts we have 20 miles apart on PCBeach and Destin are 4 of the highest grossing in the country per sq. ft. The one on front beach road in PCB is the largest seller of beer in the country. It sells so much booze that they built a huge liquor store separate from the main store out in the parking lot and a huge loading dock for kegs behind it.

As kids we always bought NFL gear at Sears. They were first store to carry NFL jackets, hats, gloves. Seems their marketing group lost touch with the times. JCPenney is a disaster as well.

This... Their clothing dept is like walking back in time 10 years. Pair that with pitiful brands...

Add to the fact that they are a huge store that's usually anchored to malls. Hard to just focus on appliances & tools with all that space they need to fill.

They're dead in the water.

The 4 Walmarts we have 20 miles apart on PCBeach and Destin are 4 of the highest grossing in the country per sq. ft. The one on front beach road in PCB is the largest seller of beer in the country. It sells so much booze that they built a huge liquor store separate from the main store out in the parking lot and a huge loading dock for kegs behind it.

I am not shocked by this information.

Reactions: JohnnieHolmesNole
I go to Walmart at 9-10 at night and thats solves the crowd problem. The 4 Walmarts we have 20 miles apart on PCBeach and Destin are 4 of the highest grossing in the country per sq. ft. The one on front beach road in PCB is the largest seller of beer in the country. It sells so much booze that they built a huge liquor store separate from the main store out in the parking lot and a huge loading dock for kegs behind it.
Well, the one on Front Beach will change soon due to all the people that profited for years on Spring Break and suddenly became appalled this year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT