ADVERTISEMENT

When did fishing scarves become a thing?

cmanole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Jun 24, 2002
Is this really necessary? I could give you some for instances of seeing people at the pool soaking up all the rays they can get then turning around and being out on the water in long sleeves and a scarf covering their face and neck. What gives?

I grew up fishing but haven't in years, and it cracks me up how much fishermen seem to be into image and what's cool these days. Reminds me of how a lot of golfers follow trends and go for every little gadget that comes along.

I don't use a scarf, but I do use the long sleeve water wicking shirts and a hat that has an attached neck shade.

Good question...my buddy is always posting pics of him out fishing and now that you point it out he does seem to have a bandanna covering his face most of the time....long sleeves as well.

Maybe he's just being extra careful while in the sun.

Good question...my buddy is always posting pics of him out fishing and now that you point it out he does seem to have a bandanna covering his face most of the time....long sleeves as well.

You basically get twice the sun when fishing as compared to walking around normally on land as a lot of it reflects back from the water. I don't even fish that often, but when I do I wear the long sleeves fishing shirt designed to be light, moisture wicking but block 100% of UV and hat with neck cover. If I fished every weekend like some of my friends I'd be wrapped up like a mummy and wearing gloves and a full face scarf (an acquaintance who worked at Florida Sportsman did just that).

This. They aren't necessary for someone occasionally out, but guys that are on the water every day need extra protection.

I work for Columbia sportswear in sales and I can tell that these are becoming a staple of protective wear for the fisherman.

The PFG line is extremely popular and the neck/face gaitor is right there with the apparel.
We also make some great water management footwear for fishing that are kickass.

Reactions: baldfsufan

That is exactly what it is for. I have a boat and having extra protection from the sun is what a lot of people want. I don't do the scarf, but I also am not out fishing all day like some people.

Last edited:
The scarves aren't needed IMO. Pure douchey image.

Today's forecast? Giant ball of radiation, suckahs!

W8XK6qO.jpg

Are we talking about buffs? I own one, but don't wear it much. It's more for salt water guys where you're getting pounded with glare for 8-10 hours a day. I started being a lot more careful about covering up well after my doctor started burning pre-cancerous stuff off my face. It's not much fun. I now fish in a long-sleeve shirt and have a hat/sunglasses on anytime I'm out. I carry my buff, but only use it when I'm floating. On really sunny days I'll wear a wide brimmed hat. Thinking about getting some sun-gloves too, but so far I just stick to SPF80. My forearms and hands are pretty sun-damaged already though. As for hanging out around the pool soaking up rays...I don't do that anymore either. I'm either in the water, or in the shade.
2G0KH2VF_alt.jpg

Buffs are cool and provide a utility as Belem said.

They may provide utility, but they are anything but cool. Actually they're ridiculous.

Might as well cover yourself up in one of those green man suits, wear 3 hats, 2 pair of sunglasses and some really neato "water management shoes" or whatever MVT called them. Lol.
I never had any issues wearing shorts, long sleeve wicking shirt, hat and SPF 80 sunscreen.

Yep, it started with guides about 10 years back. We used to tease them, called one guy "Osama bin Guiding" but he didn't care, just didn't want his face to look like mine when he was 30. Now you see more and more folks with them. If you're just out on the water twice a year I wouldn't bother, but if you're putting 50-100 days like I used to it will save a lot of money in deductibles down the road.

Yep, it started with guides about 10 years back. We used to tease them, called one guy "Osama bin Guiding" but he didn't care, just didn't want his face to look like mine when he was 30. Now you see more and more folks with them. If you're just out on the water twice a year I wouldn't bother, but if you're putting 50-100 days like I used to it will save a lot of money in deductibles down the road.

I fish a little bit more than twice a year although its closer to that than 50 which is why I don't bother with the complete getup. But if I fished even twice as often as I already do I would be completely geared up. When I go hiking for more than an hour or two I usually wear the same combo (light wateewicking but uv blocking longsleeve shirt and a hat with neck and ear shade).

No reason for me to look older than I really am.

Reactions: BarryB1081
They may provide utility, but they are anything but cool. Actually they're ridiculous.

Might as well cover yourself up in one of those green man suits, wear 3 hats, 2 pair of sunglasses and some really neato "water management shoes" or whatever MVT called them. Lol.
I never had any issues wearing shorts, long sleeve wicking shirt, hat and SPF 80 sunscreen.
Congrats on your sun block and wicking shirt. I will look badass in my buff, walking around Atlanta like a bawce

I use a buff. Melanoma is a bitch. My friends dad died last year. He was ate up with cancer on his left arm and side of face and neck. He drove a log truck and left side was exposed to sun for 40 years died at age 65. DR. said its a common thing with truck drivers.

I only use one when cobia fishing, mostly for protection from 12 hours of sun and wind, and also when they pull right up to the bottom of your sunglasses it reduces that light that comes through and makes it much easier to see in the water.

I wear everything from gloves to a full wide brim hat to buff to la shirt. I am fishing so who cares what I look like. Fishing is my favorite past time and skin cancer runs in my family. Why risk it?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Skin cancer is a mf'er. Cover up and don't give a rip what you look like.
I have had about 3 dozen basal cell skin cancers removed. One melanoma and one squamous cell. I am probably up to over 125 pre-cancerous cells frozen off. One basal cell took 6 stitches underneath and 15 on top to close while laying on the tsble for 45 minutes.

I wished there some of these preventive items when I was growing up in Palm Beach County.

The scarves aren't needed IMO. Pure douchey image.

^^^ Most idiotic post in this thread. Get treated for Melanoma and see if you say the same thing sport. Or better yet, wear the "buffs" and prevent it form occurring.

I have had skin cancer and I love to fish. I wear the protective SPF shirts, hat and buff. No more skin cancer since then.

What a dumb ass post..........

^^^ Most idiotic post in this thread. Get treated for Melanoma and see if you say the same thing sport. Or better yet, wear the "buffs" and prevent it form occurring.

I have had skin cancer and I love to fish. I wear the protective SPF shirts, hat and buff. No more skin cancer since then.

they are totally needed on a boat for sun purposes. But I think/hope Tarpon was referring to Cups wearing one around the streets of Atlanta so that people would think that he's a "bawce"....and that Tarpon would find him attractive in it as well if she saw him.

I think he's just messing with her and does not walk around the city street with a scarf over his face trying to make a fashion statement.....but then again, it is cups....who knows!?!?

Reactions: FSUTribe76

It's not a dumb ass post. They're really not essential. You may believe they are, but they're not.
So piss off.

Yeah we know what life choices he/she has made. Take his opinions for what they are worth.......

It is better to wear a buff and look douchey, than to sit in an office wishing you were outside.

image_zpskartylel.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Yeah we know what life choices he/she has made. Take his opinions for what they are worth.......

There's no need to lash out, I think you missed her sarcasm and wit. And to attack someone over such a trivial matter looks far worse for you.

Pretty sure Tarp isn't in favor of skin cancer or unsympathetic to folks affected by it; just prefers other forms of protection....

Reactions: TarponSpringsNole
ADVERTISEMENT