ADVERTISEMENT

Which US sports league is most watched....

GwinnettNole

Seminole Insider
Sep 4, 2001
By people not living in North America? Is the answer as simple as the NFL? One might assume....

But isn't baseball and basketball more popular around the globe than American football? Think about it-- there are baseball and basketball leagues in Europe, Brazil, Japan, Korea, etc. Which could mean maybe the non-NA's watch MLB and NBA moreso.?

Or, is the answer as simple as the NFL?

Never did any research on this and the question came to me is all....
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Probably depends what part of the world you're talking about. Baseball is big in Japan and Korea and Latin America. Basketball is big in China and Eastern Europe and Israel. The NFL still probably has more followers than any other American pro league though. I think it's more of a unique American spectacle that draws interest.

It's the NBA and I doubt it's close. Basketball is probably the 2nd most popular team sport after Soccer in the World, and the US has the best league with most of the best players. Baseball would be a distant 2nd and Football would barely register.

Originally posted by TexasGooner:
It's the NBA and I doubt it's close. Basketball is probably the 2nd most popular team sport after Soccer in the World, and the US has the best league with most of the best players. Baseball would be a distant 2nd and Football would barely register.
Agreed, I know most of the big NBA guys spend some time in China during the offseason so I've always assumed it was a pretty big deal over there.

I've never once heard of the NFL being a big deal overseas.

Agreed, I know most of the big NBA guys spend some time in China during the offseason so I've always assumed it was a pretty big deal over there.

I've never once heard of the NFL being a big deal overseas.

I think we as Americans overestimate the worlds interest in football. That is one of the reasons I wonder how real and NFL London team would be?

I will say the NBA...I have been living in the Middle East since 2004 and they show games pretty regularly over here, so there must be interest.
My wife is Turkish which is a Basketball mad Country behind Soccer and most every person has a favorite player/team and can quote scores and stats like a whiz.

I doubt many watch any U. S. Soccer leagues. If it were as good or had the talent of EPL, Bundesliga, Serie A or Spanish Primera, then maybe. But MLS I would think has hardly any.

The MLS is growing overseas, but this is the first year that they have had major television contracts in other countries as well. Bringing in Kaka, Villa, and later on Frank Lampard this year has certainly helped to grow interest over seas. Kaka is still one of the most popular soccer players worldwide apparently only trailing Rinaldo in followers on facebook/twitter. Now, if only Orlando could get a few decent strikers to Kaka could actually look like a great player on the field in Orlando.

From a popularity perspective it is clear 1) NFL, 2) MLB, 3) NBA this is WELL documented.

But the OP didn't ask popularity... they asked "Most Watched" This would be MLB and it isn't even close. MLB has so many more games that they tend to get reduced because their attendance and TV viewership per game tends to be half that or less of a typical NFL game. However they have 162 games instead of the NFL's 16. Total attendance to MLB games was over 70 million last year. The NFL only had 17 million and the NBA and NHL are each around 20 million for the seasons.

From a popularity perspective it is clear 1) NFL, 2) MLB, 3) NBA this is WELL documented.

But the OP didn't ask popularity... they asked "Most Watched" This would be MLB and it isn't even close. MLB has so many more games that they tend to get reduced because their attendance and TV viewership per game tends to be half that or less of a typical NFL game. However they have 162 games instead of the NFL's 16. Total attendance to MLB games was over 70 million last year. The NFL only had 17 million and the NBA and NHL are each around 20 million for the seasons.

The OP was most watched outside the US.

I will say the NBA...I have been living in the Middle East since 2004 and they show games pretty regularly over here, so there must be interest.
My wife is Turkish which is a Basketball mad Country behind Soccer and most every person has a favorite player/team and can quote scores and stats like a whiz.

Turkey hosted the FIBA world championships I believe two times ago-- they definetly love basketball. Without knowing though, I wonder if they have their own pro league....?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT