ADVERTISEMENT

Who do you thinks is responsible for this car crash?

BrianNole777

All-ACC
Jan 27, 2023
Near Washington D.C.
These are some friends of mine. :)

Who do you think is responsible here?

Mary and Jeff are a middle aged married couple at their parent's beach house for a week. Their 18 year old cousin Jessica came to stay with them for the weekend. Jessica does not have a driver's license or learner's permit but has practiced driving Mary and Jeff's car with them in their home state before.

At the beach, Mary and Jeff invite Jessica to practice driving their car with them. While instructing Jessica on how to drive, Jessica accidentally hits the accelator and the car hits a telephone poll causing $8,000 in damage with no injuries.

Mary wants Jessica's mother to pay half the damages. Jessica's mother didn't know Jessica was going to be driving at the beach.

Should Jessica's mother pay half the damages? Why or why not?

Last edited:
Jessica is 18. Why would her parents be responsible for paying for it, especially if they had no clue Mary and Jeff were letting her drive without a license?

They should file a claim with their insurance company and Jessica should earn the money to pay their deductible.

I thought the responsibility would fall on Mary and Jeff because they invited Jessica to drive their car with them.

That's consent.

Reactions: fsu1jreed
These are some friends of mine. :)

Who do you think is responsible here?

Mary and Jeff are a middle aged married couple at their parent's beach house for a week. Their 18 year old cousin Jessica came to stay with them for the weekend. Jessica does not have a driver's license or learner's permit but has practiced driving Mary and Jeff's car with them in their home state before.

At the beach, Mary and Jeff invite Jessica to practice driving their car with them. While instructing Jessica on how to drive, Jessica accidentally hits the accelator and the car hits a telephone poll causing $8,000 in damage with no injuries.

Mary wants Jessica's mother to pay half the damages. Jessica's mother didn't know Jessica was going to be driving at the beach.

Should Jessica's mother pay half the damages? Why or why not?
Jessica is 18 and responsible for her actions. However, in the case of the vehicle it would be covered by the insurance as the policy typically covers the vehicle and most policies allow for permissive use. This would depend on the policy and state of course.

In this case Jessica should be responsible for any costs to repair the vehicle outside of the policy limits and receive a citation for driving without a license. Her mother should not hold any responsibility.

I thought the responsibility would fall on Mary and Jeff because they invited Jessica to drive their car with them.

That's consent.
It ultimately would since its their car but insurance would/should cover that.

Legally, it would be on the 18 year old and the car owner - but if my 18 year old damaged someone’s property while they were trying to help him I would cover the damages

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT