ADVERTISEMENT

Who is/ was your favorite guitarist?

Neal Schon for me. The guys phrasing and flat out speed is mind blowing.

Dime. He had amazing technical ability but he was also unique and a great songwriter. A lot of the great technical players like Yngwie Malmsteen lack "soul".

Duane Allman was also great. Blue Sky is probably my favorite guitar solo ever. Just a beautiful song.

Okay, okay, my last one - shout out to true Seminoles - the Osceola Brothers - caught 'em for the first time at this last years Seminole Tribe celebration down in Big Cyprus. Kid's like...well just a kid. Great stuff, hope they take off!!

angus-young-cel-mai-bun-riff-18277103.jpg

Reactions: balognole
Stevie Ray Vaughn and Dimebag Darrell.

I got to meet Dime once a long time ago at a rock club in Ft Worth that my buddies and I stumbled in. It was open mic night and he was sitting up in the front row clapping for people and really getting into it. Pretty cool guy.

Reactions: crooked_rain
The guy with 6 fingers, Hound Dog Taylor

tumblr_kskjx8JWXH1qz8kyno1_400.jpg

Also:
Magic Sam
Lonnie Johnson
Albert King
Jerry Garcia
Prince
J Mascis

No one beats Jimmi...but after watching the movie about him, I can't stand the guy. But he's still great.

I really like Jack Johnson and his melodies. I know anyone can play his riffs, they aren't complicated, but I like how he can take the simple that anyone can play and put just enough of a twist on it to make it fun and unique.

And of course I like all the greats, who doesn't. I also like Willie Nelson, jam bands, John Mayer, punk, blues....it's all good!

Prince is awesome. The guy can just play. Whoever said Mark Knopfler is dead on as well.

Eric Clapton. He has a ton of great, well known songs. Here is one of my favorite lesser known ones:

Last edited:
Love the blue sky solo/song, and Duane was one of the best ever to pick up a guitar and play slide....but dickey betts wrote and played blue sky. Just a little fyi. Jam on..

Here's a game I started with my buddies back at FSU, instead of saying so and so is my favorite guitar player Because that's such a hard thing to choose, I enjoy the blender game....meaning if you could take 3-5 guitarists and throw em in a blender becoming 'you', who do you choose? I pose the question to this awesome discussion.
1. David Gilmour (my all time fav)
2. Duane Allman
3. Jerry Garcia (can do way more than the dead sound)
4. SRV
5. Mark Knopfler

Garcia doesn't always get as much respect because of the Dead affiliation, but he was also one of the most in-demand session men in the business; his work is all over hundreds of albums of that time period. He also was one of the most accomplished pedal-steel guitar players out there as well.

Jake E Lee. Amazing Shredder and funky blues metal.

Steven Rothery from Marillion, soaring solos, somewhat reminiscent of Gilmour.

Nuno Bettencourt
Really amazing phrasing of neo-classical in a pop-metal context.

Reactions: nole831
Great call man. Don't hear it often but such a good song. Among a ton of others by the great EC!!
We saw The Who (awesome show) and Dylan (not so much) last weekend. I told the family that over the next decade or sooner just about all of those classic guys will hang it up. Kinda sad

ADVERTISEMENT