ADVERTISEMENT

Who is/ was your favorite guitarist?

derek trucks and Michael Houser.

Opening song is typical Houser. I'm a fan of the style as much as anything.

With Trucks, I just think he could end up the best to ever pick up a guitar... and he's a huge FSU fan as well.

Derrick Trucks is as good as any today. Prob as good as Duane was

no doubt some all time greats on here. I would add Johnny Winter.

Too many to choose from, but this guy is one of the greats.. he was one of Jimi's favorites.

Billy Gibbons of ZZ Top, especially their early blues stuff...

Most of the replies have been from the rock world. I'll toss out a couple from country music. Vince gill is terrific, and Roy Clark is as good a guitar player as any who've ever lived.

Most of the replies have been from the rock world. I'll toss out a couple from country music. Vince gill is terrific, and Roy Clark is as good a guitar player as any who've ever lived.
No one will like this but Brad Paisley can really play. So can Zac Brown.

There are more talented guys out there with more technical ability (though not many), but I've loved this guy since I first heard Racer X when I was 15.

Followed really closely by this guy:

If you dig the heavy stuff I'd highly recommend the album Jeff did with keith Merrow - Conquering Dystopia - simply outstanding.

Last edited:
Reactions: ShaolinNole
I like the Gilbert version of this in space suits. Loomis is in my top 5. The riff on Song of Lydia is insane. I just missed seeing him with Arch Enemy, as they still had the guy from Arsis. The were probably the tightest live band I've seen in many years.

Do not listen to country and but watched a duo with Sting and Vince and thought he did great in that show.

The guy with 6 fingers, Hound Dog Taylor

tumblr_kskjx8JWXH1qz8kyno1_400.jpg

Also:
Magic Sam
Lonnie Johnson
Albert King
Jerry Garcia
Prince
J Mascis

The guy with three fingers, Django Reinhardt

I agree with the poster above, Vince Gill can tear it up and has a real rocking style when you see him in person.

Any list without Chet Atkins is empty, even though I am not a huge country fan

Always a big fan of Tommy Shaw and JY from Styx.

Last edited:
Gary Moore. Rory Gallagher. Phil Lynott. I have thing for dead Irish guitarist.

Great call on Rory Gallagher. I saw him open for Boston a long, long time ago, and he blew them off the stage. Incredible live performer, and his work with Taste, as well
as his solo career, was non pareil.

Keith Richards......
From those that I have seen live, in no particular order other than initially Jimi.......Eric Clapton, David Gilmore, Jimmy Page, Mark Knopfler, Johnnie Winter, Alvin Lee, Jeff Beck, Joe Walsh, Stephen Stills, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Carlos Santana, Randy California, B B King, Chuck Berry, Jerry Garcia, Pete Townsend, Leslie West, Mark Farner (just kidding, but I did party with him back stage in Atlanta).

Derrick Trucks is as good as any today. Prob as good as Duane was
Jimmy Page
Jeff Beck
Mark Knopfler
SRV
Eric Johnson
Steve Rothery
EVH
Derek Trucks
Warren Haynes
Gary Moore
Hendrix
Duane Allman
David Gilmour
Eric Clapton
Joe Perry
Al Dimeola
Steve Hackett

These are the names that come to mind early in the morning before my coffee.

Some great ones listed so far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT