ADVERTISEMENT

Who is your most underrated Rock band of all time

In the vein of aggressive riffs, check out cupids dead by extreme. The way Nuno uses the guitar rhythmically is unique.

A kid I met in Massachusetts when my older brother was married ( we later traveled some together and he was solid) told me that pretty soon we would be hearing about an awesome band called The Cars... he said that they had been tearing it up in Mass. up to that point... You win the steak dinner challenge. Very good opening album.

A friend of mine got hooked on coke when working for the cars. He lived in Boston and went to Penn State. During the summer he worked at a recording studio and he more or less a gopher, but that summer The Cars were in the studio doing some finishing touches on an album, and he actually did help do some mixing or editing or something like that. He said that booze was a must and everyone (believe it or not, excluding the band) always had a cup of some form of booze. He also said that everyone who worked there, always had piles of blow, and he had never done it. By the end of summer, he was hooked and spent a lot of his spare time in Chinatown scoring blow and hookers.

Reactions: NY_22_Nole
Cheap trick is another underrate band

Yep. Most folks don't understand due to some of their work in the mid to late 80s how much they influenced so many players in the next generation of American bands in the 80s and 90s and even 00's that grew up listening to Cheap Trick's first four studio and one live album that came out 77-79. Those five records bridged this strange gap between the Beatles of 10 years before with the future hard rocking / new wave punk and therefore influenced a ton of future musicians.

In the 1980s it was bands like Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Poison, and Guns N' Roses but in the 90s and 00s it is a who's who list of the grunge/alternative/power pop 90s-00s rock scene. Various key members of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Fountains of Wayne, Material Issue, Gin Blossoms, Anthrax, Urge Overkill, Stone Temple Pilots, Everclear, The Nixons, Green Day, American Hi-Fi, Simple Plan, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, OK Go, Kings of Leon, Hüsker Dü, The Melvins, and Jet all have cited Cheap Trick as a big influence.

Reactions: NoleLizards
Yep. Most folks don't understand due to some of their work in the mid to late 80s how much they influenced so many players in the next generation of American bands in the 80s and 90s and even 00's that grew up listening to Cheap Trick's first four studio and one live album that came out 77-79. Those five records bridged this strange gap between the Beatles of 10 years before with the future hard rocking / new wave punk and therefore influenced a ton of future musicians.

In the 1980s it was bands like Mötley Crüe, Ratt, Poison, and Guns N' Roses but in the 90s and 00s it is a who's who list of the grunge/alternative/power pop 90s-00s rock scene. Various key members of Nirvana, Pearl Jam, Smashing Pumpkins, Weezer, Fountains of Wayne, Material Issue, Gin Blossoms, Anthrax, Urge Overkill, Stone Temple Pilots, Everclear, The Nixons, Green Day, American Hi-Fi, Simple Plan, Foo Fighters, Soundgarden, OK Go, Kings of Leon, Hüsker Dü, The Melvins, and Jet all have cited Cheap Trick as a big influence.

Well hopefully they still have something left. I'll be seeing them for the first time at the Strawberry Festival in March.

Reactions: noleclone2

15 or so years ago, I met Robin Zander in a beach bar in St Pete. He & his family apparently lived nearby (I think still does) and he was a regular in there, and sometimes would sit in & sing a few songs with whatever band was playing. Wife & I were at the bar, he came in & sat down next to us. One of the other regulars said hi to him & asked if he was gonna sing any tonight. He said probably not, just stopped in for one waiting for my wife to get home. My wife heard the comment & asked if he was a singer, he smiled & said "I sing a little every now & then." I knew he looked familiar to me but I didn't realize who it was - just figured I'd maybe seen him singing with a bar band somewhere. We chatted a bit, he was very nice. After he left, the bartender asked if we knew who he was. My wife said "I just know he said he sings a little" - got a laugh out of the bartender when he told us who it was.

Speaking of which, I'll be seeing Barenaked Ladies again this weekend at Universal (and maybe Diana Ross, that's 50-50). BNL always has catchy tunes but they are also some of the best showmen of all time. They're absolutely hilarious on stage as their impromptu stage patter is better than quite a few standup routines I've seen. And they usually end up switching instruments mid show with the drummer taking up lead singer and guitar while the main lead singer heads back to the drums.

Speaking of which, I'll be seeing Barenaked Ladies again this weekend at Universal (and maybe Diana Ross, that's 50-50). BNL always has catchy tunes but they are also some of the best showmen of all time. They're absolutely hilarious on stage as their impromptu stage patter is better than quite a few standup routines I've seen. And they usually end up switching instruments mid show with the drummer taking up lead singer and guitar while the main lead singer heads back to the drums.
I saw BNL some years back - opened for Dave Matthews Band. I think I knew one song they played, but they were a lot of fun. Very entertaining considering I really did not know the music.

So, how was it?

Pretty good actually. They played a relatively long set (close to two hours) for an old band and the lead singer still mostly had it. The worst point was dragging the teen Strawberry court up on stage and ogling them while they pretended to do the chorus of Surrender without actually knowing the words. All and all a solid 8/10.

It's a shame that Cheap Trick, and Rick Nielsen, have their own Wolfgang/Eddie/Michael Anthony thing going with Bun E. Carlos.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT