ADVERTISEMENT

Who was your favorite Tallahassee band back in the day?

Nole Daddy

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Mine was the Woodpeckers( later be called the Distant Relatives) in the early to mid 90's.

Hard rock band mid-90s. They ROCKED Floyd's.

I wanna say their name was Creed, or something like that.

I also liked a band called Slap Stick. They were more in the late 80's but would come around every now and then in the 90's and do shows. They played a mean Pink Floyd set.

Reactions: LethalSimplicity
Isn't Tallahassee an interesting place that seems to suck away greatness? Less than an hour from the coast yet horrible seafood. A "vintage" southern capital city yet horrible bbq. One of the best collegiate baseball teams every year yet no national titles. So on and so go forth.

One of those so forth is that despite having one of the best music colleges in the country, Tallahassee hasn't produced very many highly successful music acts. I guess Creed/AlterBridge would be my favorite Tallahassee related act (leaving out the Doors, Ray Charles and Parlaiment that only have Tallahassee connections not really "Tallahassee bands/acts".). Saying the best is Creed is faint praise although the first album was pretty good and holds up well and Alter Bridge (aka Creed minus Scott Stapp) has been decent.

For those of you that don't know, John Driskell Hopkins was the lead singer of the Woodpeckers and is now the bass guitarist for the Zac Brown Band.

Reactions: dero316 and Bartdog
I always liked the Groove Merchants as well as Real Men. They both used to play at Bullwinkles often during the early/mid 90's.

Reactions: Bubbz
goes back a few years but the BITTER IND, the ONE EYED JACKS, and THE INTRUDERS (?). played with the bitter ind for 6 months so am prejudice as to which is the best.

I always liked the Groove Merchants as well as Real Men. They both used to play at Bullwinkles often during the early/mid 90's.
Those were two of the other bands running through the Tallahassee bars when I was there.

Tequila Mockingbird played a lot at Bulls back in my college days.

In 1980 was there anyone other than Hutch and Hoss...and the Ballad of Ron Simmons! Obviously slim pickins back then!

I really liked standstill. Saw them all over the place in the early 2000s. I have a couple of their songs left over on an old hard drive but there are a bunch more that I can't find anywhere.

Reactions: NoleGreg10
I used to work with a guy who was in a band in town. Presence was the name of the group, I think. I seem to recall them getting a national deal, but never heard from them after that.

Sister Hazel was technically from Gainesville, but they owe their breakthrough to Tallahassee far more than they do Gainesville. X-101.5 used to actually be a relevant station with a lot of connections who helped push a number of bands towards labels. Meathead worked with my band a bit and connected us with a number of record labels who had interest at the time. This was around the time that Presence was getting a bit of recognition and not too long after Creed and Sister Hazel had broken out.

Reactions: ericram
Shark Attack

The guitar player for Shark Attack was a fraternity brother & good friend of mine. Had a lot of good times watching them play at various places around town.

Someone else mentioned Ely, who I also liked a lot.

acoustc workshop (from Georgia southern but played tally a lot) and black creek were my favorites from the 90s followed by the woodpeckers.

acoustc workshop (from Georgia southern but played tally a lot) and black creek were my favorites from the 90s followed by the woodpeckers.
I as wondering what took you so long to get in this thread.

Does anybody remember the Redneck Mothers and who was the former FSU player that was in it?

ADVERTISEMENT