ADVERTISEMENT

why did the Braves build a new stadium

d'ster

Veteran Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 24, 2005
I never got the reason why, I thought they spent a ton of money on Turner field.

There was a good article in the AJC regarding how the city of Atlanta dragged their feet about improving the current stadium and area around the Ted. Remember the stadium has been there since the Atlanta Olympics and outside a nasty bar-b-que joint there is nothing but a bad neighborhood and crime around the stadium. The hope was the area would be turned into a trendy area with restaurants, shops and bars but it never happened. The article said the braves looked at how the city 'jumped' to keep the falcons but were slow to do anything for the braves; so the braves said screw it and decided to leave.

There are a lot of other reasons including the season ticket holders are in the northern suburbs-- which means the braves wanted to move closer to the 'hand that feeds them'. Other reasons included commute times, lower taxes in Cobb County, etc. That sounds alll and good but if the city helped out some they would have stayed at the Ted IMO.
This post was edited on 1/5 9:32 PM by GwinnettNole

where is the new one, how far away from the Ted

Originally posted by d'ster:

where is the new one, how far away from the Ted
It's in southern Cobb county-- if you are familar with the Atlanta area it's in the 285/75 area. Won't be good for traffic but no where around here will be good. I think I read it's just 12 miles from the current location....regardless, it's not far.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT