ADVERTISEMENT

Why do I need a survey to replace a fence?

surfnole

Seminole Insider
Mar 29, 2002
Rant. Want to install a new fence to replace an old wood fence that is old and damged from hurricanes. Fence company game me an estimate, but won't work until I have a survey which is needed for permitting.

Why?

1) The property appraiser already has the lot dimensions/easements etc. from when the subdivision was developed. 2) The existing fence has been there for years. It's clear where the new fence belongs.

I will probably buy some fencing from Home Depot and do it myself or pay a handyman.

Reactions: BrianNole777
Rant. Want to install a new fence to replace an old wood fence that is old and damged from hurricanes. Fence company game me an estimate, but won't work until I have a survey which is needed for permitting.

Why?

1) The property appraiser already has the lot dimensions/easements etc. from when the subdivision was developed. 2) The existing fence has been there for years. It's clear where the new fence belongs.

I will probably buy some fencing from Home Depot and do it myself or pay a handyman.
Does the old survey include the existing fence on it?

Surveys not only show property lines but also possible easements. Our house in West Palm Beach had a 10' utility easement off the back. You weren't supposed to put your fence through it because it interfered with the meter readers and with any maintenance efforts.

I saw more than one fence that had to come down because it was installed without a survey and permit.

I had a neighbor hit my irrigation line to the back yard putting up a fence and ran it into the neighbor's planter on the other side. She wanted to run the fence by the side of the house too but the developer and HOA would not permit it. Supposedly the fence was for her dogs but she kept them at their farm house. Why is it always the obnoxious ones that move in, cause problems with all the neighbors and move out a few years latter. Her husband was a great guy too but boy did he marry one hell of a bitch. 🤣

Fyi
I do ATF permits all the time, code case stuff

I’m Not cheap though!!

Just sayin

Easy as in take one for the team?

Or cheap as in its benevolent night- bogo time baby?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT