ADVERTISEMENT

WillTiger ever catch Jack?

Lemon Thrower

Seminole Insider
Aug 28, 2001
Big-Three-Masters-2014-Thursday_t780.jpg

Nope, Tiger won't catch Jack. Tiger no longer intimidates anyone, and has lost his confidence. There's also a lot of quality competition now. It's been 7 years since Tiger's last major. Tiger's body is wearing out fast. His swing is still relatively violent compared to a lot of PGA pros.

I don't believe golf is a sport, it's a game, I don't get the argument that his body is spent, it's freakn golf!

Reactions: FSUTribe76
I couldn't believe at the time, and to this day even, all the unwavering worship of Tiger when he won his last US Open on his injured knee.

Sure, it was impressive as hell. But, was it smart? I always thought pain was a primary indication that you should stop doing the thing that is causing you pain.

Tiger had been surgically repaired a couple of times already. He seemed to come back strong as ever each time. After dramatically winning his first tournament back at Arnie's one year I too marveled. He even heals better than everyone else it appeared.

Turns out, there's only so many times and so many ways Humpty Dumpty can be put back together again. And I agree with the comment about the violent nature of Tiger's swing working against him. The languid flowing swings are the ones which last. Not a lot of those around today, but those swings work best after 40.

The 30 for 30 that will be done will be a very interesting one. All the things that led to Tigers downfall: the body breakdown, the alleged PEDs, the women and the mental side of Tiger. It will be good...

I don't believe golf is a sport, it's a game, I don't get the argument that his body is spent, it's freakn golf!
You couldn't be more wrong. Professional golfers are finely tunes machines. The weekend warriors whether it's golf or softball not so much but the pros, yeah they're athletes...

PED's have taken their toll. He's done.

THIS. So obvious. His body broke down -- and is still breaking down -- in response to steroid abuse. He will never win another major (non-Senior) tournament.

Beyond the titles, Tiger will never catch Jack -- or most golfers, for that matter -- in the categories of (a) class; and (b) integrity. Tiger lacks the fundamental skills to simply be a good human being.

You couldn't be more wrong. Professional golfers are finely tunes machines. The weekend warriors whether it's golf or softball not so much but the pros, yeah they're athletes...
Nowadays especially.

Nick Faldo had a good quote. Said his swing was built on tempo and timing, but nowadays all the kids that are coming out look like they "put a Karate move on the ball." Quick, very forceful, and very athletic.

He's done - no majors. A very good golfer who believed he would catch Jack, recently said Jack didn't have near as many physical ailments and had far less competition at the same point in his career.

Inner Strength

Talk about falling from the ranks fast.....
I remember betting lines of TW or the field...and it was a big risk to take the field.

Talk about falling from the ranks fast.....
I remember betting lines of TW or the field...and it was a big risk to take the field.

I remember telling you all what a douche the guy was many years ago and catching heat for it...

Tigers problem is not physical. He is smoking the ball in practice rounds and on the range. Everyone who has watched him has said he is hitting the ball great....except in tournaments.

Tiger has a huge mental problem on the course. Golf is more mental than physical anyway. I would also point out that just 2 years ago TIger won 5 tourmanetns and was ranked number 1 in the world.

WIth the above said he has certainly had a melt down that makes David Duval say wow.

I am a Jack fan so I hope he doesnt catch the golden one but I find it hard to write him off just yet....but it is getting close.

I remember telling you all what a douche the guy was many years ago and catching heat for it...
Did anyone care? I don't. Lots of transcendent people aren't the nicest/best people.
Yes, actually they did care. Used to be quite a few dudes in here that swung from his jock and white knighted him to the point of being creepy...

Tiger's downfall is simply stunning & IMO the biggest collapse of any American sports icon in history. Tiger was mentally confident beyond anything we can comprehend & it all ended when Elin knocked him out. He treated people like dirt while on top & that's why it's fun to watch.

I can't believe anybody would seriously be waiting around for Tiger to make a big comeback. He has been done since he hit that tree.

No he will not catch Jack. He will not do much of anything on the golf course. Did you see him this past weekend?

I think he may have one mini-run left in him, but the longer he keeps going down this current path, the less likely it is that he is going to be able to pick up more than another 1-2 majors (at best). I think 16 is his absolute ceiling right now. It's totally self-induced, but a shame nonetheless, as other than a horse, I'm not sure anyone has ever been as dominant or as great at their respective sport as he was b/n 99-07.

Golf, the great game.

Ben_Hogan_and_Arnold_Palmer_Smoking.png

recent photo of Cabrera

angel_cabrera_smoking.jpeg

recent photo of Miguel Angel Jiminez

miguel-angel-jimenez-wife-cuzoogle.jpg

1232469-costantino-rocca-of-italy-in-a-playoff-in-the-gettyimages.jpg

I suppose you'll say chess is a sport too.

OrrinHudson(SIforKids).jpg
bobby-fischer.jpg

Lem, we're talking about the new wave of players. Guys like Rory and Adam Scott. I know it's hard for you Lem but try to keep up mmmkay...

I think he may have one mini-run left in him, but the longer he keeps going down this current path, the less likely it is that he is going to be able to pick up more than another 1-2 majors (at best). I think 16 is his absolute ceiling right now. It's totally self-induced, but a shame nonetheless, as other than a horse, I'm not sure anyone has ever been as dominant or as great at their respective sport as he was b/n 99-07.

I would just like to hear what makes you think he could win 1 or 2 more majors? 2007 was 8 years ago.

I would just like to hear what makes you think he could win 1 or 2 more majors? 2007 was 8 years ago.
Two years ago he was the best player on tour, so let's not act like he's been irrelevant since Torrey Pines in 2008. Heck just this year he was in the mix on Saturday afternoon in Augusta. I can't see anyway he gets four more majors but I wouldn't be surprised if he won another Masters.

Two years ago he was the best player on tour, so let's not act like he's been irrelevant since Torrey Pines in 2008. Heck just this year he was in the mix on Saturday afternoon in Augusta. I can't see anyway he gets four more majors but I wouldn't be surprised if he won another Masters.

His already fragile ego has taken some serious blows since the Masters though. When he was at that ham & egg tournament earlier this year (I forget what it was - some sort of Challenge thing) and was chunking and bladeing his chips all over the course I told Hurner (I think) that once that part of your game goes you don't get it back. I think we were all very surprised to see just how well he did at the Masters but since then he's obviously regressed...

The fact is this though that a lot of people on here don't know. You don't win on the PGA Tour, let alone a major, unless you have your game firing on all cylinders. In the future Tiger may have pieces of his game in form but I don't see him having all of the pieces put together to that degree for four days under tournament pressure. Just my take...

Agreed. He won 5 times and was POY in 2013. He was hurt all of last year, has looked awful this year, but it's still in there somewhere and it would appear that he's at least got some drive left (to be out there humiliating himself time and again). Augusta is not a great fit for him now (with his driver woes), but he still can navigate his way around that course well enough to contend 5-7 more years (Nicklaus could have won at 58 in '98), he'll have another crack or two at both Pebble, Torrey and St. Andrews. I just think it's more likely than not that at some point he will again be in decent enough form to contend again on the highest stage. Physically he's not there right now (obviously), but it's the mental side that seems more troubling....to the point where I wonder if he is doing more harm than good right now playing mid-80's golf and hampering his 'comeback'.

Lem, we're talking about the new wave of players. Guys like Rory and Adam Scott. I know it's hard for you Lem but try to keep up mmmkay...

those guys finished behind Cabrera at the Masters just 2 years ago.

the new breed of chess players are real athletes too, lol

Yes, actually they did care. Used to be quite a few dudes in here that swung from his jock and white knighted him to the point of being creepy...

Lot's of athletes are douches, even many of the greats. You were arguing that Tiger wasn't one of the greats, which is nonsense. Even if he never wins another tourney he'll go down as one of the best to play the game. Jackhole? Sure, but so what? I'm not tuning in for potential suitors for my daughter, I'm watching golf.
When I worked a senior tournament back in the 90's the biggest asshat there was Palmer. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great player in his day. Doesn't make me talk crap about him every time he plays like he banged my mom or something. Hmmm...your mom work at a Perkins?

those guys finished behind Cabrera at the Masters just 2 years ago.

the new breed of chess players are real athletes too, lol
Are you seriously arguing that golf isn't a sport and is comparable to chess?

Lot's of athletes are douches, even many of the greats. You were arguing that Tiger wasn't one of the greats, which is nonsense. Even if he never wins another tourney he'll go down as one of the best to play the game. Jackhole? Sure, but so what? I'm not tuning in for potential suitors for my daughter, I'm watching golf.
When I worked a senior tournament back in the 90's the biggest asshat there was Palmer. Doesn't mean he wasn't a great player in his day. Doesn't make me talk crap about him every time he plays like he banged my mom or something. Hmmm...your mom work at a Perkins?

I never, ever said Tiger was not great. Not once did I say that. Nice try though Bell...

Are you seriously arguing that golf isn't a sport and is comparable to chess?

no, i'm arguing that golf is more of a game than most sports. cma thinks the current crop of golfers are super-duper athletes. (chess is a game too but back when Fisher won the world title from the Russians at the height of the cold war, sports illustrated tried to capitalize on the publicity and called chess a sport.)

michael jordan might be able to earn a tour card, but Rory or Spieth or Duffner, not to mention Jimenez or Cabreara, are not going to make an NBA squad.

Reactions: billanole
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT