ADVERTISEMENT

Womens soccer

Lemon Thrower

Seminole Insider
Aug 28, 2001
U.S. ladies take on Colombia tonight at 8 in the knock out round.

Columbia will be without their starting goalie, sepulveda, who received two yellow cards.

should be an interesting match. Colombia's striker, the mis-named Lady Ariadne, sucker punched Abby Wambach in an olympic match 4 years ago.

And the Colombian's are chirping about US smack talk...which never occurred. Will probably be a rough game.

Colombia is complaining about being disrespected by the Americans but when asked what specific comments upset them, they couldn't answer and said it's not relevant now. Sounds like they are just trying to start something and the US Women aren't taking the bait. Should be an interesting match.

The Colombian GK received her second yellow card for tripping an England player, who seemed to have a clear path to the net after getting around her. I dont know how she got the first.

Typically from time wasting. When a goalie possesses the ball, they have to get rid of it within a certain amount of time.

That is one way. Another is when they come out to get a ball they foul the opposing player. Since the goalie is typically the last defender it is at least an automatic yellow card, and sometimes it is even a straight red. This happens a lot when one team is trying to continually play long balls over the top of the defense. The goalie needs to come out to clear the ball, and if he/she is late they foul the offensive player, thus receiving a card. This happens a lot more than you would think, and I have seen more yellow cards for this than for time wasting.

sepulveda is a good keeper but has a bad habit of coming too far out of her box.

the most recent was she was too far out and had to trip the offensive player.

the first instance was a hand ball. she came really far out. initiated touching just inside the box, but continued holding the ball as she slid outside the box. arguably the last defender between the offense and the goal so she was lucky it wasn't a red card.

That is one way. Another is when they come out to get a ball they foul the opposing player. Since the goalie is typically the last defender it is at least an automatic yellow card, and sometimes it is even a straight red. This happens a lot when one team is trying to continually play long balls over the top of the defense. The goalie needs to come out to clear the ball, and if he/she is late they foul the offensive player, thus receiving a card. This happens a lot more than you would think, and I have seen more yellow cards for this than for time wasting.
Very true, I hadn't watched much of the Women's World Cup outside of US games, so, I was only commenting on what I've usually seen. Although, I have seen several situations like you mentioned, including yesterday.

interesting match.

Colombia lost their 2nd string goalie to a red card.

Wambach missed the PK badly, scores a goal but was offsides. she's not the same player.

We get the win but arguably our best player, Rapinoe, and another experienced midfielder Holiday (nee Cheney) get their 2nd yellows and will not be available versus China.

I think we play good enough defense to get through to the Semi's or final's, but the rest of our game looks way too much like the men's team this year. Just a whole bunch of kicking the ball away, poor midfield possession, and uncreative touches near goal. There's a number of teams playing far better than we are right now.

I think we play good enough defense to get through to the Semi's or final's, but the rest of our game looks way too much like the men's team this year. Just a whole bunch of kicking the ball away, poor midfield possession, and uncreative touches near goal. There's a number of teams playing far better than we are right now.

+1.

We play China next, but minus our best player (Rapinoe) and another starter (Holiday). China is OK, we still ought to beat them. After that is Germany who has been the class of the tournament. We'll need our A game to get past them, and it may still not be enough. After that would be the final against the winner of Japan/Australia/England/Canada, who are all decent but teams we probably can beat.

Not impressed with our coach. Really hasn't developed much in the way of new players; resting on our laurels as far as i can see and not wise enough to identify the players who have declined since 4 years ago.

No midfield; not getting past Germany

Our defense is stout...Johnston has been playing lights out. With Rapinoe and Holiday back by then (providing we get past China), we should be fine, but we're going to need to play more aggressively. Ellis may need to ditch the 4-4-2 and go with a 4-3-3. Maybe bring in Leroux or Brian with Wambach and Morgan and start Rapinoe, Holliday, and Heath at mid. Johnston being a traditional midfielder will also help in that line-up.

Is there anything other than women's soccer? I just thought we segregated the soccer players by purse wielding and wallet having but it was essentially the same thing.

On a side note, that video floating around of the orgy involving British soccer players busy highfiving, chatting with each other, giving naked "bro hugs" and other homoerotic behavior while they have multiple hot naked Asian prostitutes laying around bored did not do much to raise my manliness impression of male soccer players.

should be a low scoring game tonight, this will be two of the world's best defenses.

china has an unconventional defense, and i expect their midfielders to tire in the 2nd half.

good write up here http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015...omens-world-cup-quarterfinal-preview-analysis

btw, you can expect to see plenty of Wang - China's women team has 3 players named Wang, but only 1 named Tang. There is also a Wu, so you might see a Wu-Tang combination.

should be a low scoring game tonight, this will be two of the world's best defenses.

china has an unconventional defense, and i expect their midfielders to tire in the 2nd half.

good write up here http://www.sbnation.com/soccer/2015...omens-world-cup-quarterfinal-preview-analysis

btw, you can expect to see plenty of Wang - China's women team has 3 players named Wang, but only 1 named Tang. There is also a Wu, so you might see a Wu-Tang combination.

I smell the start of a drinking game.....

This Germany-France game is by far the best game from a technical and tactical standpoint of the entire tournament, and we're only 45mins into it.

U.S. ladies take on Colombia tonight at 8 in the knock out round.

Columbia will be without their starting goalie, sepulveda, who received two yellow cards.

should be an interesting match. Colombia's striker, the mis-named Lady Ariadne, sucker punched Abby Wambach in an olympic match 4 years ago.
So you make fun of golf but are here offering in depth analysis of women's soccer?

Is there anything other than women's soccer? I just thought we segregated the soccer players by purse wielding and wallet having but it was essentially the same thing.

On a side note, that video floating around of the orgy involving British soccer players busy highfiving, chatting with each other, giving naked "bro hugs" and other homoerotic behavior while they have multiple hot naked Asian prostitutes laying around bored did not do much to raise my manliness impression of male soccer players.

WTH? to this entire post

This might be the best women's match I've ever seen. Impressed how hard both sides have gone after each other. Looking like it'll be settled with PK's, unfortunately.

That should not have been a quarter-final game. Love to watch France play the game!

And the US ladies showed some real spunk in their match. It's very hard to play against a side that parks the bus the way the Chinese do, but they broke it down with constant pressure and won again.

Crazy how much better the midfield worked when they weren't jamming the ball to Rapinoe to either a) cross it to Wambach, or b) put it 10 rows deep into the stands.

The upcoming game against Germany will be interesting.

I think the US played with more pressure because they didn't fear the Chinese on attack. This will not be the case against Germany, so I have a feeling the US will sit back a little more.

Secondly, the pressure came in part because of the lineup changes. Wambach probably won't start again against Germany, but that was only one of the 3 changes against China. The other 2 were Rapinoe and Holliday who were forced to sit because of yellow card suspensions. Both of them will be back next game which probably means their replacements will find their way back to the bench.

Against Germany I fully expect to see the US revert back to jamming the ball down the middle or forcing it to Rapinoe on the wing hoping she can make something happen.

The U.S. looked better last night than any other time in the tourney. Are they better without Wambach and the constant heading the cross approach?

The U.S. looked better last night than any other time in the tourney. Are they better without Wambach and the constant heading the cross approach?

Wambach is past her prime and just slow and lazy now.

Lloyd looked better as an attacking midfielder with Brian as the holding mid.

I think playing the wings and centering is a valid strategy, especially with China conceding the wings. Germany will play more balanced so we'll see how it goes.

Reactions: HulaNole
Wambach is past her prime and just slow and lazy now.

Lloyd looked better as an attacking midfielder with Brian as the holding mid.

I think playing the wings and centering is a valid strategy, especially with China conceding the wings. Germany will play more balanced so we'll see how it goes.

I am not sure about lazy, but Wambach clearly does not have the legs to play anymore, especially pressing the backline. I absolutely agree about Brian. It will be interesting to see how they line up against Germany.

Reactions: HulaNole
wambach was offsides a few times due to laziness. she was forward on an attack, the ball comes back, then goes forward, but wambach hadn't gotten back. so its not just that she is a step or two slower, its that she has gotten lazy. i think you can see this on Johnson's goal in the opening minutes vs colombia.

Possibly, but the team needs to quit placing the ball as though she's still there and Morgan needs to work on nailing that ball with one touch.

Johnston is a beast. That is all.

Soccer_Cartwheels_original.gif

Reactions: Lemon Thrower
Really not impressed with the current coach and her ability to recognize what her current players abilities are or to develop upcoming talent.

Looks like a rugby match vs Germany, very physical out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT