ADVERTISEMENT

Womens soccer

Lloyd and Johnson were players of the match, though Johnson likely should have drawn red in the box.
USA was surprisingly dominant. I wonder if Japan's ball skill will win out...

That was the best the US has looked the entire tournament. Play like that again and it should be another WC!

Reactions: goldmom
I like the former coach as the one of the color commentators. He had some good comments.

She is on the bench (and rightly so), though I am not a huge fan of the starting lineup.
I wasn't a fan either, going into it, but the mids played exceptionally well. Amazing how working the ball around works better than "pass to Rapinoe and have her cross it" tactics.

Lloyd and Johnson were players of the match, though Johnson likely should have drawn red in the box.

USA plays in the final like they played the last two games, no one is beating them.

Reactions: goldmom
Great game by USA finally, where has that been? Morgan figures out the final touch it would have been over at halftime, shes just not fit yet but so explosive. Kudos to not starting wambach again that needs to continue.

Johnston i do not think could get red on that. She was sensational otherwise but the play happened so fast and she still gave up a pk and yellow, thats massive. If it was from open play and premeditated farther from goal id say red more acceptable.
Lloyd played great as did Bryan.

Unsure who to root for but i guess usa mstches up better with England

Enjoyed how Hope Solo slow played that PK, pretty much iced the kicker who then shanked the ball.

True and USA may not have won the game as they would have been a player down the rest of the game. Plus the PK the USA got was outside the box. It should not have been a PK. But Alex Morgan should have scored at least 2 goals prior to all of that.

True and USA may not have won the game as they would have been a player down the rest of the game. Plus the PK the USA got was outside the box. It should not have been a PK. But Alex Morgan should have scored at least 2 goals prior to all of that.

What everyone is forgetting is the PK we had should have been the second one on the night. Earlier in the game, Morgan was dragged down from behind much like Johnson did to the German yet no call. It was clear as day on the replay and should have been called so I am not losing any sleep over whether the PK should have been awarded in that instance.

What everyone is forgetting is the PK we had should have been the second one on the night. Earlier in the game, Morgan was dragged down from behind much like Johnson did to the German yet no call. It was clear as day on the replay and should have been called so I am not losing any sleep over whether the PK should have been awarded in that instance.

Right. The USA dominated the game for the most part and deserved the victory. A little better finishing from Alex and the game could have gotten real ugly. I do like the fact when they get the lead they didn't just fall back and play defense trying to hang on to lead. They kept attacking and were rewarded with the second goal beautifully played in by Carli with a nice run by O'Hara.

The unintended consequences of having to sit Rapinoe and the other girl in the Qtrs. paid dividends with an aggressive style that carried over against the Germans.
Keep it up and I like their chances against either Japan or England.

Why isn't Sydney LeRoux playing at all? She's the most explosive forward we have on the roster and hasn't played in the last 2 or 3 games. (I don't count her 20 second appearance last night)

Why isn't Sydney LeRoux playing at all? She's the most explosive forward we have on the roster and hasn't played in the last 2 or 3 games. (I don't count her 20 second appearance last night)

I am guessing because Alex Morgan is better but was coming off an injury and they wanted her to get back into game playing shape for the full 90 as the tourney progressed. Her finishing last night was not very good but their attack definitely looks better with her in there.

Germany got away with many fouls, some of which should have been reds. Morgan got tackled with 2 arms in the box at the end of the first half and it wasn't called. Rapinoe got tackled to the ground (flagrant 2 in hoops) and it was just a yellow. Pop concussed Brian and didn't even get a foul, when it easily could have been a red. Heath got pushed into the advertising boards, no foul. Germany got the better end of the officiating in that match.

Reactions: Bartdog
I am guessing because Alex Morgan is better but was coming off an injury and they wanted her to get back into game playing shape for the full 90 as the tourney progressed. Her finishing last night was not very good but their attack definitely looks better with her in there.
Morgan is sooo much better then Leroux, besides Leroux looked like she was playing for the other team (too many errors)in earlier games this WC.

Japan it is. England kicked them the victory. Talk about a horrible way to lose.

Morgan is sooo much better then Leroux, besides Leroux looked like she was playing for the other team (too many errors)in earlier games this WC.

I agree. I think Alex Morgan is the best attacker the U.S. has by far.

Carli has had a great World Cup and the USA really needed her to.

Agreed on Leroux, shes been disappointing and id never use explosive to describe her style but certainly quicker than Wambach, and smarter than Heath who drives me nuts with her soccer IQ

Japan not ready for prime time...Defense is horrendous so far. 4-0.

That third goal was all smarts. I haven't seen a goal like that in a women's game before.
USA USA USA

Wow, they trade set piece scores with 20 minutes left to play. Who expected a 5-2 score in this match?

5-2 now. This is over. What a performance by the US, and what crowd support for them as well. Will be fun to see the reaction when Wambach comes in for her final game.

Carli Lloyd's play on the first 16 minutes was like youth league play. She just was the fastest, smartest, and bestest on the field. It's a shame she missed the header for a fourski.

Wambach.jpg

18261147-mmmain.jpg

usa17.jpg

usa-16.jpg

usa-13.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT