ADVERTISEMENT

XFL playing hard ball

yeah, I thought some of the appeal was supposed to be a "supplemental league" to give some players a chance to maybe move back to the NFL.

Reactions: NebNoles
yeah, I thought some of the appeal was supposed to be a "supplemental league" to give some players a chance to maybe move back to the NFL.

Of course it should be. Who wants to shine in *that* league only to not get a chance to get into the NFL?

This may hurt their league long term. I feel like these players are interested in playing in order to audition or get noticed by the NFL. If the XFL won't release guys some players that may have otherwise participated in their league might pass. Just my thoughts.
I agree. Every league that tries to compete with the NFL will lose. The league needs to be a minor league to the NFL. That might work.

The XFL can't block the Lions from doing anything. Worst case scenario for the player is he would get sued for some sort of contract breech but that wouldn't be more than the potential salary... the NFL pays a leak minimum of nearly 500k a year and the XFL pays like 50k a year so this seems to be non news to me.

Maybe if the Lions didn't have a bad college QB as their backup they wouldn't be going after Josh Johnson. I mean honestly...why are they even going after Josh Johnson?

The XFL can't block the Lions from doing anything. Worst case scenario for the player is he would get sued for some sort of contract breech but that wouldn't be more than the potential salary... the NFL pays a leak minimum of nearly 500k a year and the XFL pays like 50k a year so this seems to be non news to me.
50K? Try half that. It's only 50K with all the bonuses. NFL backups have more $$$ fall out of their shoe than an XFL contract.

"It has recently been revealed that XFL players who are non-quarterbacks will receive $2,080 every two weeks they are under contract. If they are under contract for an entire season, they will receive a max base salary of $27,040, and one player doesn’t feel that is enough money to play in the league. . .

The $27,040 season salary is a lot less than the league’s original boasts of being in the range of $75,000. Once the AAF folded, though, they lowered that amount since their primary competition, outside of the NFL, no longer existed."

Read more: https://www.inquisitr.com/5711671/xfl-news-money-draft-corey-vereen-contract/#ixzz66KJwJXc9

This is why I liked the AAF's module so much. A player signed a 3 year contract but if the NFL made them an offer, they would be allowed to break the contract.

Reactions: cgj0198
The NFL could crush them at any moment they decide to. If any XFL team develops a true following and starts selling a lot of tickets, the NFL could swoop in and sign 4 or 5 of their best players.
Surely McMahon is smart enough to realize that he can't survive if he has an adversarial relationship with the NFL. His only hope of survival is if the NFL actually wants a developmental league to form and prosper just enough to survive. Vince takes on the liabilities and expenses involved in running a league and the NFL reaps the benefit of getting any talent that emerges.

My guess is to be signed to be a backup because Driskell the starter until Stafford is healthy.

The NFL could crush them at any moment they decide to. If any XFL team develops a true following and starts selling a lot of tickets, the NFL could swoop in and sign 4 or 5 of their best players.
Surely McMahon is smart enough to realize that he can't survive if he has an adversarial relationship with the NFL. His only hope of survival is if the NFL actually wants a developmental league to form and prosper just enough to survive. Vince takes on the liabilities and expenses involved in running a league and the NFL reaps the benefit of getting any talent that emerges.

I thought at one time that a lot of XFL teams were going to be owned by NFL owners?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT