ADVERTISEMENT

Yesterday was really bad and I’m not talking about

Delux247

Seminole Insider
Gold Member
Mar 1, 2005
Morganton, NC
The football game. Yes we got completely embarrassed. Unfortunately, it is what it is. But this is about the loss of my dog, Stella. We have had Stella for 12 years now. She was a rescue. Someone had moved away and left her tied to a tree in the backyard. She was there for about a week or so before someone took her. We ended up with her and she turned out to be an amazing dog. She always had a motherly spirit about her. She was always with our kids and making sure they were taken care of. She was always there when you needed her. She just knew when to put her head on your knee and let you know it’s going to be ok. This motherly instinct even extended to our other dogs and even the cats. They all laid with her and even on her from time to time. She always made you feel comfortable. We helped with rescue dogs for a while and she always took them in and show them the love they never had. She was a really amazing dog.

Well last night, starting about the 4th quarter of our disastrous game, she was acting funny and her stomach was very bloated. We thought she was just gassy so we let it be. Well, she started breathing really shallow and rapid so we decided to take her to an emergency vet. She had a twisted stomach. The vet told us she only had a couple hours to live unless they did surgery that she only had a 40-50% chance of survival given her age and health. Plus the recovery is very hard. Not to mention it cost $7000-$8000. We decided to have her put to sleep. I had to drive back and get our kids to say goodbye. My family is absolutely devastated. I just wanted to share this and hope everyone remembers to enjoy what you have while you have it. Because it can be taken away in a short amount of time. Thanks for reading if you got this far.

I have been in dog and cat rescue for many years, and like you, understand that when you rescue an animal, they truly rescue you right back! I am so very sorry for your loss of Stella, but hope that sometime in the future, after you and your family have had the needed time to grieve and heal, you will open your hearts and home to another rescue dog in loving memory of your wonderful and much loved pup. I truly believe that Stella would want that for you and your family.

The football game. Yes we got completely embarrassed. Unfortunately, it is what it is. But this is about the loss of my dog, Stella. We have had Stella for 12 years now. She was a rescue. Someone had moved away and left her tied to a tree in the backyard. She was there for about a week or so before someone took her. We ended up with her and she turned out to be an amazing dog. She always had a motherly spirit about her. She was always with our kids and making sure they were taken care of. She was always there when you needed her. She just knew when to put her head on your knee and let you know it’s going to be ok. This motherly instinct even extended to our other dogs and even the cats. They all laid with her and even on her from time to time. She always made you feel comfortable. We helped with rescue dogs for a while and she always took them in and show them the love they never had. She was a really amazing dog.

Well last night, starting about the 4th quarter of our disastrous game, she was acting funny and her stomach was very bloated. We thought she was just gassy so we let it be. Well, she started breathing really shallow and rapid so we decided to take her to an emergency vet. She had a twisted stomach. The vet told us she only had a couple hours to live unless they did surgery that she only had a 40-50% chance of survival given her age and health. Plus the recovery is very hard. Not to mention it cost $7000-$8000. We decided to have her put to sleep. I had to drive back and get our kids to say goodbye. My family is absolutely devastated. I just wanted to share this and hope everyone remembers to enjoy what you have while you have it. Because it can be taken away in a short amount of time. Thanks for reading if you got this far.
You have to be an animal lover to fully understand, but I do. I am so sorry.

Thank you for the wonderful life that you and your family gave Stella! As you described her loving motherly ways that she had, they were her way of thanking you daily and helping other family members and pets feel the love that she felt from you. As a person who has rescued numerous dogs through the years I know without a doubt that I get more from these pups than I can ever give back! May you always have and hold the fond memories of Stella close and smile when you think of her.

I know anyone who has owned and received the unconditional love that our pets give us, day in and day out is feeling your pain right now

I am as well!

I too had a dog, Bella that the vet said her stomach flipped

I had to rush from Okeechobee to ft pierce emergency hospital

They also told me it was a $7-8000 surgery

They pressured the hell out of me to give my cc to them

I said no
Something in my gut said something was wrong

Then they pressured me to put her down

Again I said no

My son was balling his eyes out, and I needed to pray on it

30 minutes later I went back inside and told them to bring her out

When they did she was 100% fine, they said she took a poop and that she could go

Folks I was literally goiyto put her down 30 mins before

She was with me 5 more years

Sorry to jump in on your thread, it just brought back a horrible memory for me is all

I believe you did the right thing here, out of love!

I do believe in God, and I do believe in Heaven! I also believe we will be reunited with loved ones there, including the wonderful critters he has Blessed us with

That Hope helps ease the pain!

Maybe a Stella 2 is out there waiting on your loving family to Bless!

My Lab swallowed a golf ball and it cost me $1,800 for the surgery.
He was with us another six years and I don’t regret it a bit.

That's almost nothing. My neighbor spent $8,000 on surgery for their lab and she only lived 6 more months.

I've heard of dog owners that have Lemonade Pet Insurance. They like it.

That's almost nothing. My neighbor spent $8,000 on surgery for their lab and she only lived 6 more months.

I've heard of dog owners that have Lemonade Pet Insurance. They like it.

$1800 is nothing? GMAFB.

My Lab swallowed a golf ball and it cost me $1,800 for the surgery.
He was with us another six years and I don’t regret it a bit.
Mine too. It was lodged where his stomach and intestines meet. That one was a little over $3k. He also ruptured a disk in his back that paralyzed his hind end. That one was $4800. Don't regret any of it when he's out running around on the golf course.

We had a dog get rattlesnake bit on the snout once and the vet refused to give him any antivenom for it because I didn’t see the snake. Every redneck knows what a rattlesnake smells like. By the time they realized I was right it was too late for Lucky. He ended up dying at the vet after 3 days of suffering and charged us $1500 for a dead dog. Needless to say I was ticked and they didn’t get that money.
The poor guy got his name because some butthole tied him to the rear of our trailer on our truck and didn’t say anything about it. I just so happened to go behind my truck to throw some trash in a bin before we left out and got a surprise. The poor guy would’ve been dragged to death behind our truck. Right then and there we named him Lucky and he loved it. We have no clue how old he was when we found him, but he got some good country loving for the time we were blessed to have him. He was a King Charles spaniel.

We had a dog get rattlesnake bit on the snout once and the vet refused to give him any antivenom for it because I didn’t see the snake. Every redneck knows what a rattlesnake smells like. By the time they realized I was right it was too late for Lucky. He ended up dying at the vet after 3 days of suffering and charged us $1500 for a dead dog. Needless to say I was ticked and they didn’t get that money.
The poor guy got his name because some butthole tied him to the rear of our trailer on our truck and didn’t say anything about it. I just so happened to go behind my truck to throw some trash in a bin before we left out and got a surprise. The poor guy would’ve been dragged to death behind our truck. Right then and there we named him Lucky and he loved it. We have no clue how old he was when we found him, but he got some good country loving for the time we were blessed to have him. He was a King Charles spaniel.

Lots of Deja by in this thread for me

My Brittany got bit on the muzzle on my property

Right on the muzzle

Vet said it was a huge snake, she was playing in our creek so vet said water moccasin

$1200 just for ac and two weeks in hospital

But she’s still with me watching me eat a Publix sub

Got a 1” scar on her muzzle!

Lots of Deja by in this thread for me

My Brittany got bit on the muzzle on my property

Right on the muzzle

Vet said it was a huge snake, she was playing in our creek so vet said water moccasin

$1200 just for ac and two weeks in hospital

But she’s still with me watching me eat a Publix sub

Got a 1” scar on her muzzle!
Had the doc listened Lucky would’ve lived. She waited until Monday and we brought him in on a Saturday afternoon. He got bit behind the house. I found that bastard and killed it and ate it lol. Made a sling for my rifle out of his skin. Don’t mess with my dog!

This same pooch , her name is Zoey was running in a doggy park, ran by a chain link fence
A barb hooked her side and peeled her fur back the size of my hand

Not gonna lie, I cried when I saw it

Sweet lil dog, not a bad bone in her body

• Wow
Reactions: BrianNole777
This same pooch , her name is Zoey was running in a doggy park, ran by a chain link fence
A barb hooked her side and peeled her fur back the size of my hand

Not gonna lie, I cried when I saw it

Sweet lil dog, not a bad bone in her body
Oh trust me. I’m a big dude. Been through hell and back in the Gulf War and Afghanistan. Never shedded a tear. I squalled like a baby when Lucky took his last breath when they had to put him down to end his suffering. It hurt deep knowing I shouldn’t have to lose him if that woman had listened. He came running to the front of the house after he had got bitten begging for help and we thought we had got the help he needed to only be let down by an incompetent vet. It sucked even worse when we had zero choice on a weekend. It was the only emergency weekend vet in town. I couldn’t believe the woman tried to charge us. I told her you better count your lucky stars that I don’t sue you for incompetence. I didn’t pay and she didn’t pursue so I let it be.

My 13 year old terrier mix left the world in August. Most expensive dog I’ve ever owned.

- 6000$ pancreatitis 7 years old
-6000$ pancreatitis again
- prescription dog food to decrease likelihood of more episodes.

Both somewhat self inflicted when I was out of town. Ate a pepperoni pizza the first time. Whole thing. 20 pound dog. Ate garbage chicken second time.

- heart failure. No idea how much. More than the pancreatitis episodes. On tons of meds. We managed it for over a year. Went the way it goes. Started off ok. But then weight loss, decreased appetite. Episodes of lethargy, etc. played it out until we could no longer consistently keep his respiration rate normal. Fluid builds up and the effect is kinda like drowning. To manage heart failure, one of the tools is diuretics. Keep the fluid out of the lungs. The combo of drugs affects kidney function. So, as the disease progresses, you increase dosing, adversely affecting kidney function. This makes the dog feel sicker.

We reached the dosing limit. So, my wife decided to end it. Good that she’s around because im the kind of person who, if I have anything at my disposal, I will fight no matter the futility. So, we scheduled an at home service to euthanize him. I was able to give him two good days. As kidney failure was no longer on the table, I increased his diuretic dose and removed some of the other meds.

His last two days he got:

- an increased energy level
- normal breathing
- return of interest in playing and going on walks and food
- he died in my wife’s lap eating bacon.

I’d do it again.

Dogs are awesome.

Dogs give us unconditional love, are forgiving, just a kind word or a good rundown makes their day

They are loyal to the end, and will defend you even when your wrong

I know the tears spilled over losing one are uncountable, and a little part of us dies with them each and every time

But God in his wisdom new we needed them so he Blessed us with these critters and made our families that much better

I don’t know for a fact but I do believe God will reunite us with our loved ones in Heaven and that includes our critters!

He always gives us what we need including man’s best friend!

I hope your broken hearts can hurt less by knowing you loved them and they loved you!

Reactions: BrianNole777
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT