ADVERTISEMENT

Your first *real* concert? - Follow-Up

I was 15 and I saw Poison in Cincinnati and then saw Skid Row and Tesla a couple of years later........I had tickets to G&R Use your Illusion tour, but got hurt a few weeks before.

There was weed being smoked all over that place in those days. They didn't even try to stop it.

I saw Cypress Hill just a couple of years ago here in P'Cola and there was a cop just 4 foot away from the group I was with, he just shook his head, laughed, and went walking to the other side.

They don't care nowadays.........it's kind of awesome.

I have syblings 5, 14, 20, 22 years older than me, so I went to a bunch when I was a little kid as a tag along, some really good ones, like Joan Jett and the black hearts when I was 5.

But the first show that I went to because I wanted to go, was the Red Hot Chili Peppers in 1988. Punk Rock club in Little 5 Points in Atlanta, my sister took me, but it was my idea.

A little off topic but is anyone else annoyed with folks who complain after going to a show that the band didn't sound exactly like they did on their album? That is the biggest sign of a bad concert if so in my opinion. I like the rawness of a live show. If I wanted to listen to the album, I would.
Agreed - I like to see bands change it up - I probably have the studio versions, so give me something different.

The worst culprit I have seen of this is Tears For Fears - saw them on 2 consecutive tours in the 90's - every song sounded EXACTLY the same as the studio version. Though one time they actually broke into "Creep" by Radiohead - killer version to boot.

I mean real as in a show that you went out of your way to go to - not "I was at a car show with my parents when I was a kid and Steppenwolf happened to be there performing".

Mine was George Strait on New Years Eve in Dallas. I was 14yo when I went. My grandmother got tickets for me, my sister, and two cousins. She dropped us off and left us there unattended. It was an awesome time and we had a lot of fun.

The reason that I'm asking is that I'm about to get tickets to take NDallasDaughter to her first concert, and I'm excited to be able to do this with her, and also reminiscing back to when I was younger.

FWIW, I'm going to take her to a Dead Milkmen concert in July. She listed to some of my old CDs and really got into them. They're playing at an "all ages" club in DC, so I'm going to take her to the show. I think she'll have a blast.

ZZTop at Doak Campbell circa 1977ish. They rocked, of course.

Black Oak Arkansas, in Harrison Arkansas 1974. Ruby Starr and Grey Ghost opened for them....

The local churches were really up in arms about this rock concert being held in this holy little town.... several pastors prophesied that horrible storms would ensue to rain the whole event out.

It was a beautiful sunny day and one I'll never forget as a fourteen year old who immediately fell in love with this crazy rockin' redhead named Ruby. BOA kicked ass too.

edit, per the rules.... Ruby Starr

tumblr_mkvcrybUMC1s4u68so1_400.jpg

Ruby+Starr+rubystarr1tint.jpg

Last edited:
Edgar Winter and White Trash, Uriah Heep, Mountain and Hot Tuna all together. 2nd show was Black Sabbath, 3rd was Ted Nugent. 1st road trip that I took my own car was to Tallahassee to see ZZTop.

Reactions: seminoleed
Grand Funk Railroad in 1970 if I can remember back then. Was at the Leaky Teepee in WPB

My first concert was Live Aid in Philly when I was 14. Best friends parents took 5 of us. Amazing to say the least.

My first concert was Live Aid in Philly when I was 14. Best friends parents took 5 of us. Amazing to say the least.

I am not a fan of Led Zepplin at all, but I would have enjoyed seeing their 20 minute set. Overall, the lineup was OK compared to Wembley (back to back to back with U2, Dire Straits and Queen!), but in 1984 Judas Priest was a few years into their British invasion and would loved to have seen some British steel with Priest (who actually got less stage time than George Thorogood :mad:).

Edgar Winter and White Trash, Uriah Heep, Mountain and Hot Tuna all together. 2nd show was Black Sabbath, 3rd was Ted Nugent. 1st road trip that I took my own car was to Tallahassee to see ZZTop.

Jam,

Just saw the Tuna here at the Variety Playhouse for the 4th time; Jorma and Jack can still bring it.

Pensacola civic center- 1999
8th grade
Red hot chili peppers/foo fighters
Floor seats- no parentals
Most epic music moment I've ever had. Long story short, Dave grohl walks through the crowd mid set, grabs a beer in the back concession stand. On his return to the stage with the spotlights following him he just stopped. People going nuts; circled around him. My friend and I eyes as big as melons just staring at him 2ft in front of us. He's looking around at everyone with a huge smile, takes his guitar off and smashed it on the ground. Guitar winds up at my feet, I reach down to pick it up, security guard says no. Dave walks up, dead in front of me, picked it up and looked me straight in my face and his eyes lit up. He then yells, "eff-yeah" and gave me and my boy the most awesome high five ever and proceeded back to the stage and didn't deal another high five to anyone else. I'll never forget that night.

This was mine as well. Weekend of my 21st birthday and the place ran dry after I only had like 2 beer. Pure ridiculousness

Interesting thoughts on ticket accessibility. I see a lot of live music -- probably 20+ shows a year -- and while most of them are at smaller venues, I've never had trouble buying tickets during general onsale or presale dates. That includes some of the big ones I've been to recently like Billy Joel.

One exception is the Fare Thee Well Grateful Dead shows in Chicago. That was a ticketing nightmare and I paid an astronomical amount of money on the secondary market.
No problems getting good seats to concerts recently but like you said that GD Chicago weekend was a tough ticket. Figured they would trickle more onto the market as they usually do but it doesn't look likely. Didn't know the Cali shows were request only, my FIL got shut out of both stops I kinda feel bad for the guy.

Def Leppard, Hysteria Tour, Sept 11, 1988, Leon County Civic Center, Queensryche opened

My mom took me to see Styx at 13. The people in front of us were smoking pot and she told me not to inhale too deeply. I also think she was using cotton balls in her ears because it was so loud. I loved it, from what I can remember.

No problems getting good seats to concerts recently but like you said that GD Chicago weekend was a tough ticket. Figured they would trickle more onto the market as they usually do but it doesn't look likely. Didn't know the Cali shows were request only, my FIL got shut out of both stops I kinda feel bad for the guy.

They've come down a bit on StubHub, but not much. We paid way too much, but what's the price tag on an experience, right?

Vanilla Fudge 67? Daytona Beach amphitheater. I think the Young Rascals were also there. Saw the Allman Brothers when they were the Almond Joys on Daytona Beach Pier. Went to many pop festivals from California to Atlanta to Louisiana and a few in South Florida, Hallandale and two Miami festivals. Too many groups to mention. Promoted a couple of shows with my friend, one in Tallahassee, The Chambers Brothers, and another at the Sportatorium that didn't go through.......costly experience.

Beach Boys at Riverfront Stadium after a Reds game... somewhere mid to late 80s. I guess that isn't a "real" concert as I was there for the game. My next one was the Beach Boys and the Miami Sound Machine at the florida lottery kickoff party at the Orange Bowl. I was very young for both of these and only there because my parents took me.

The first I can remember choosing to go to was Living Colour and Kings X around 1991 or so.

Original Lynyrd Skynyrd in '74. Free ticket. I think my sister was supposed to be babysitting me and took me.

Reactions: stmnole83
FWIW, I'm going to take her to a Dead Milkmen concert in July. She listed to some of my old CDs and really got into them. They're playing at an "all ages" club in DC, so I'm going to take her to the show. I think she'll have a blast.
I wanted to follow-up on this post.

The daughter and I went to the Dead Milkmen concert on Saturday. We had a really good time. The place where the concert was held was pretty cool (9:30 Club in DC). There was an upstairs "balcony" level that we watched from. The ear plugs I got her - which reduced the sound by 30+ decibels - were a great call, because the music was really loud and would probably have hurt her tender little ears. It's too late for me and my crappy hearing, but hers can still be protected, so I felt like a good dad for remembering to get them.

We could see the band really well, and it was up away from the people that were slamdancing during the concert. I asked the daughter if she wanted to go try "moshing" like that, but she did not. I asked her if she wanted to watch from up on the balcony while I went down there and did it, but she did not.

the crowd definitely trended older - older than me even - but I guess that's to be expected for a band that was most popular in the mid/late 80s. Mine wasn't the only kid there - there were a few other parents who brought their kids as well. I never felt like it was unsafe for her, and I'd definitely take her to another concert there if there's one she wants to go to.

In the end, we had a lot of fun. She recognized/knew a lot of the songs that they played. They played until about midnight, and she was worn out by then. She managed to get me to get her a t-shirt and a keychain, because I'm a sucker!

That's cool as hell Russ. I remember skating around on my Vision Gator listening to Big Lizard in My Backyard on my walkman without a care in the world.

Last edited:
Did you take her in your.........Bitchin' Camero!
We did. We drove it up here from the Bahamas.

The daughter's only disappointment was that they didn't do the same intro to the song that they do on the CD - the reference to driving the car up from the Bahamas, the sand bar, buying Def Leppard and Motley Crue t-shirts. Instead, I guess he uses the intro to go on different comedic rants about whatever's going through his head. Still, she digs the song though.

That's cool as hell Russ. I remember skating around on my Vision Gator listening to Big Lizard in My Backyard on my walkman without a care in the world.
Thanks! That's the one that got her started liking them. Really it was her hearing Bitchin Camaro for the first time, and then also finding out that she likes a lot of their other songs too. She's got that CD loaded onto her i-tunes. Well, most of the songs - there are a couple that I exercised my parental right to deselect when loading them onto her computer.

I saw Cypress Hill just a couple of years ago here in P'Cola and there was a cop just 4 foot away from the group I was with, he just shook his head, laughed, and went walking to the other side.

They don't care nowadays.........it's kind of awesome.

All the shows I saw in Biloxi weed was everywhere. At one show, I was sitting in an aisle seat and joints just kept coming my way. I couldn't pass them across the aisle, so I kept ending up with 3 or 4 joints at the same time. It was insane.

Shortly after that we moved to the Tally area and I started going to shows at the civic center. They were like the Gestapo about smoking in there, even cigarettes. It was culture shock after the wild west that was Mississippi Gulf Coast Coliseum.

Edgar Winter and White Trash, Mountain and Canned Heat 1975, I was 15 years old. Went with my best friend and his 20 year old brother. 2nd concert was Black Sabbath, 3rd was Ted Nugent. All 3 shows in the same year. I don't consider country a real concert, more like a band that's much better in a bar or small venue. I like people like George Strait but it's much better in a intimate atmosphere. Arenas are for rock and roll.

We did. We drove it up here from the Bahamas.

The daughter's only disappointment was that they didn't do the same intro to the song that they do on the CD - the reference to driving the car up from the Bahamas, the sand bar, buying Def Leppard and Motley Crue t-shirts. Instead, I guess he uses the intro to go on different comedic rants about whatever's going through his head. Still, she digs the song though.

You must be kidding. The Bahamas are islands.

Sounds like a rad time Russ. Good call on the ear plugs.

Sometimes I worry about my hearing. But sometimes I hear a guy crunching and smacking chips from 30 feet away and think about how much worse it would be if I didn't go to all those shows.

Reactions: NDallasRuss
Probably Steve Miller in 1970 when some friends suggested going to the concert at the old Curtis Hixon.

My sons' first was magnolia fest 2012. I think the first full show they sat thru was JJ Grey & Mofro. They also watched most of jimmy herring, Bonnie Raitt, and a few others, and a small portion of Chris Robinson brotherhood (they were a late show, boys were exhausted; got them & mom back to campsite, then I went back for the rest of the show.

Reactions: dero316
Aerosmith-Nassau Coliseum 1979 - Tyler passed out after about 6 songs....on stage....

The first show I attended without a band member passing out on stage was Genesis 1981 at the Coliseum.

Off topic, but anyone ever get a chance to see Led Zepplin, The Doors, AC/DC with Bon Scott, The Who with Keith Moon or Queen?

Off topic, but anyone ever get a chance to see Led Zepplin, The Doors, AC/DC with Bon Scott, The Who with Keith Moon or Queen?

Saw Zeppelin do four songs at the old Sombrero in Tampa back in (I think) '77. They stopped due to rain even tho the tickets clearly said "rain or shine." Riot ensued. Good times!

I saw Queen in '78 or '79 in the old Hollywood Sporatorium. Was a good show, but not really in my top ten of concerts I've seen.... just an average rock concert. I remember the stage rose on some hydraulic lifts which was pretty cool at the time.

1985 Jax - I was 15... Huey Lewis and the news- with opening act Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stevie killed it and was booed toward the end of his set. He played Voodoo Child- awesome!

1985 Jax - I was 15... Huey Lewis and the news- with opening act Stevie Ray Vaughn. Stevie killed it and was booed toward the end of his set. He played Voodoo Child- awesome!

I saw them together in Tampa on that same tour. SRV and Huey were good friends & Huey arranged for him to open the southern swing of that tour. It wasn't really a good mix, most of Huey's fans were teenyboppers who did not at all appreciate or understand the talent that was SRV. He was treated extremely shabbily by the brats in Tampa.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT