ADVERTISEMENT

Your inner cheapskate

Formerly Rockymtnole

Ultimate Seminole Insider
Feb 9, 2013
Spinning off the theft thread, what sort of things do you simply hate paying for, or don't mind paying for it but think the amount charged is outrageous?

For starters...

Hotel wifi. Luckily many hotels are getting with the times. They still screw you on everything else though.

Concession prices at ball games and movie theaters. $5 for a coke, $10 a beer...screw you.

Any kids meal over $5, especially if it doesn't include a drink. $6.95 for a grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of applesauce. Plus $2 for chocolate milk. Screw you too!

Whatcha got?

Spinning off the theft thread, what sort of things do you simply hate paying for, or don't mind paying for it but think the amount charged is outrageous?

For starters...

Hotel wifi. Luckily many hotels are getting with the times. They still screw you on everything else though.

Concession prices at ball games and movie theaters. $5 for a coke, $10 a beer...screw you.

Any kids meal over $5, especially if it doesn't include a drink. $6.95 for a grilled cheese sandwich and a cup of applesauce. Plus $2 for chocolate milk. Screw you too!

Whatcha got?

Food and drinks at movie theaters, it most cases especially AMC it's not just profiteering it's literal price gouging.

I HATE hotels and venues that require valet parking and/or bellhop use. I can park my own ()*& car and carry my own (*&) bags.

Restaurants or other venues that charge for tap water. (Since I'm in charge of various CME and CLE events, I find it disgusting when the hotels charge literally hundreds of dollars to dole out tap water at conferences).

Any ticketmaster or other "convenience fee". Especially when they charge that "convenience fee" and I still have to physically pick up the tickets.

Parking- At almost any venue, hotel, event, etc. You pay an arm and a leg for a nice room, a great show, but then you have to take out a second mortgage to park

Concessions- It's been covered. I watch the families at Doak that are up and down the entire game back and forth to the concession and my dad and I just laugh at the amount of money they must be spending on popcorn, nachos, dippin dots, etc etc

Movie tickets- Should 2 people going to a movie (add in the concessions) cost more than a huge dinner

Car Repairs- Apologies to any mechanics, but $100 an hour for labor, sometimes it might be cheaper to have a car payment

Dr's- Again, no offense, I realize you go to school and all that jazz, but I avoid your offices for a reason, a simple visit requires a second mortgage

Oysters are off the chain. Can't afford to eat them anymore. $12 - $18 a dozen is cheap and for what, something you can hardly taste?

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Movie concessions and Ticketmaster fees were already mentioned but I'll throw in diapers. It's absorbent paper material and tape for Christ's sake. Why are they so damn expensive?

Restaurants...more specifically nice sit-down restaurants. I hate paying $100+ for a meal that's not 10 times better than a $10 meal.

I get annoyed with the cost of some of the things we buy for staff at the office:
1. The damn Kuerig; a pack of 10 of little mediocre cups of coffee costs more than a package of quality coffee that makes 8x as much coffee. Oh, but it's convenient.

2. Bottles of water that they drink at their desk. I'll drink a bottle of water in the car, or bring one with me if I'm going to a client's office, but not when I'm sitting at the desk or at home. We have a water cooler that holds the big jugs, just get a damn cup & fill it up.

3. Sorry-ass Centurylink. We have a dsl line that is our internet backup (primary line is through Brighthouse, but since we're very dependent on internet connection we also have the dsl line in case BH goes down). Problem is, sucky Centurylink is more likely to be down than is BH.

I get annoyed with the cost of some of the things we buy for staff at the office:
1. The damn Kuerig; a pack of 10 of little mediocre cups of coffee costs more than a package of quality coffee that makes 8x as much coffee. Oh, but it's convenient.

2. Bottles of water that they drink at their desk. I'll drink a bottle of water in the car, or bring one with me if I'm going to a client's office, but not when I'm sitting at the desk or at home. We have a water cooler that holds the big jugs, just get a damn cup & fill it up.

3. Sorry-ass Centurylink. We have a dsl line that is our internet backup (primary line is through Brighthouse, but since we're very dependent on internet connection we also have the dsl line in case BH goes down). Problem is, sucky Centurylink is more likely to be down than is BH.

Geeza Seapa, who is calling the shots at your office, you or the staff?

My only issue is when I go to an expensive restaurant and they block off the parking spots and force you to valet. If I'm paying a lot for food, don't try and nickel and dime me with parking too!

Resort fees and parking fees at hotels. "Oh great! I got this room for $135/night...good price!"

But wait! Now there's a $25/night Resort fee! And it costs $20/night to self park (hell to the no, for some schuck to drive my car, for 10 yards, for an extra $15/night!).

Now I'm paying $180/night....not as nice as I was thinking!

I'll agree with the Ticketmaster "convenience fee" which might as well be a "f you we have a monopoly fee" and the price of concessions at games/movies, I mean seriously you're going to a 150 minute movie or 180 minute game consumers should feed and water themselves amply so they don't need to get gouged at the concession stand (or sneak in some candy).

I hate paying for gas - I don't get why nearly everyone doesn't have an electric vehicle.

Reactions: FSUTribe76
Resort fees and parking fees at hotels. "Oh great! I got this room for $135/night...good price!"

But wait! Now there's a $25/night Resort fee! And it costs $20/night to self park (hell to the no, for some schuck to drive my car, for 10 yards, for an extra $15/night!).

This x 1,000......recently got a "deal" at a universal resorts property for $75 a night, heck of a deal, caveat, that wanted $20 a day to self-park.......good lord

This x 1,000......recently got a "deal" at a universal resorts property for $75 a night, heck of a deal, caveat, that wanted $20 a day to self-park.......good lord
Yeah, hotels are the worst. Especially higher-end brands.

Marriott on Lex in Midtown Manhattan charges guests (even those with status) a $2 bag fee to leave bags w/ the bellhop - this after a ~$350/night room rate. Absurd nickle and dime tactic.

Suprised no one has mentioned cell phone companies.

When I owned my business and my staff would damage a phone that required getting replace you'd get drilled:

1) cost to replace. This was usually prorated based the two year contract. The further into the two years, the less you paid. But still.

2) The dreaded "upgrade charge". Several times I would simply get the replacement that was free and often times that meant buying an out of date older model phone. Yet the cell company insisted on charging me a $35 upgrade charge. How is it an upgrade when I'm buying a lesser quality phone?

3) And of course the "activation fee" which could range from $25-50.

I'm so ready to fall off the grid!

Marriott on Lex in Midtown Manhattan charges guests (even those with status) a $2 bag fee to leave bags w/ the bellhop - this after a ~$350/night room rate. Absurd nickle and dime tactic.

Anything for $2 in Manhattan should be viewed as a deal.

Resort fees are the worst. Especially in Vegas. They get you internet, access to the pool, local calls and entrance into the "cardio room". Not the actual gym, just the cardio room. All things that either nobody uses or is included for free everywhere else.

GoGo In-Flight has skyrocketed. I can expense it but I'll do other work or just the 30 min/$9.95 if necessary at this point.

It galls me how much chicken wings cost. Over $10 bucks now many places for 10 wings, and like $18 for 20 wings, which I prefer to have if I'm making a meal of it.

I guess I'm old, but I still remember 10 cent wing nights, or all you can eat wings for $4.99. I know all food has gone up in price, but the price of wings seems MUCH more than other things.

Restaurants...more specifically nice sit-down restaurants. I hate paying $100+ for a meal that's not 10 times better than a $10 meal.

I agree 100%. Not only do you have this huge bill at the end but you are a SOB for paying an additional $15.00 for a tip when you should be paying $20.00+.

The same can be said about high priced hookers too.

It galls me how much chicken wings cost. Over $10 bucks now many places for 10 wings, and like $18 for 20 wings, which I prefer to have if I'm making a meal of it.

I guess I'm old, but I still remember 10 cent wing nights, or all you can eat wings for $4.99. I know all food has gone up in price, but the price of wings seems MUCH more than other things.

I can remember the days before wings became popular, when they were considered a garbage part that nobody wanted. I was the youngest kid in the family & it was the part that I got since I was the littlest. I didn't mind because I loved them.

Then the buffalo style wing became a national craze, and the price went through the roof in comparison to price increases for other chicken parts.

Price of tickets to games is absurd (pro and college).

I understand inflation but the face value of national championship tickets has gone up 10x+ since 1993 -- does a $350 ticket make sense for fans of an amateur sport? $80 for a regular season game (and more than that for most major college and pro teams)? Really?! How is an average American family supposed to afford this when added to abusive concession, lodging and parking prices? When I see these prices I am thankful for being single and childless - I only have to pay for me.

Same goes for the suckers who visit Disney, I shake my head in sympathy.

I agree 100%. Not only do you have this huge bill at the end but you are a SOB for paying an additional $15.00 for a tip when you should be paying $20.00+.

The same can be said about high priced hookers too.
Wait, you're supposed to tip them? What if it's just a handy?

Parking. It pisses me off when any business wants your business and then expects you to pay to park in their lot.

Reactions: TFloss
Razors

Resort fees at hotels that only give you access to what every other hotel gives you for free.

I don't mind movie concessions. The movie isn't that long. If you can't make it more than 2 hours w/out stuffing your face, then you deserve to pay whatever AMC bends you over for.

Everybody that has mentioned parking hit the nail on the head. Hate when you reserve a room then get hit with a $25 to park your own car.

I very, very rarely pay for parking. I'll usually uber wherever I go.

Totally agree / that bait and switch type of pricing is total BS> Don't charge me a resort fee apart from the room and tax. What is my choice? I either pay the resort fee or don't stay there.

The most annoying price gouging effort I experienced recently was a mechanic I was communicating with about installing a starter. He advertises on CL as starters installed starting at $55.
Me - "saw your ad. Need a new starter on a Nissan Armada. How much for this?"
A quick message and he replies, "$140."
To which I reply, "$140 total right?"
Him - "yes"
Me "$140 total including parts?"
Him - "$140 total labor cost."

I saved his contact info in my phone under Another Dishonest Mechanic and moved on.

Resort fees are the worst. Especially in Vegas. They get you internet, access to the pool, local calls and entrance into the "cardio room". Not the actual gym, just the cardio room. All things that either nobody uses or is included for free everywhere else.

Las Vegas? Wow! Checked into our room and the first thing my wife did was see if she could
make a cup of coffee in the morning. There was a coffee maker, but no coffee. But wait! There it is sitting on the dresser with other assorted odds and ends with the price list taped to the wall. A little bag of coffee with 4 small packets for $12. Big deal! We are on vacation! Besides, I am the one paying the bill. Get the coffee if you want it! But no! She picks it up, scrutinizes it, carries it over to the coffee maker, moans and groans, then puts it back down on the dresser where it was. Some how, they have figured out a way to know if you even pick the damn thing up and then you get charged for it. I am glad she didn't notice it on the bill until we got home. She would have kicked up such a stink that they would have probably had us arrested.

Las Vegas? Wow! Checked into our room and the first thing my wife did was see if she could
make a cup of coffee in the morning. There was a coffee maker, but no coffee. But wait! There it is sitting on the dresser with other assorted odds and ends with the price list taped to the wall. A little bag of coffee with 4 small packets for $12. Big deal! We are on vacation! Besides, I am the one paying the bill. Get the coffee if you want it! But no! She picks it up, scrutinizes it, carries it over to the coffee maker, moans and groans, then puts it back down on the dresser where it was. Some how, they have figured out a way to know if you even pick the damn thing up and then you get charged for it. I am glad she didn't notice it on the bill until we got home. She would have kicked up such a stink that they would have probably had us arrested.

Oh, man - the hotel mini-bars that have the electronic sensors that automatically charge you if an item is moved. Those things suck under any circumstance, but try staying in one of those rooms with a couple of young kids.

I can remember the days before wings became popular, when they were considered a garbage part that nobody wanted. I was the youngest kid in the family & it was the part that I got since I was the littlest. I didn't mind because I loved them.

Then the buffalo style wing became a national craze, and the price went through the roof in comparison to price increases for other chicken parts.

We lived in Buffalo when they really just started becoming a thing there in the very late 70s/early 80s. At that time, my mother would make them at home. Back in the pre-internet, pre-chicken wing days, my father was able to get someone at a restaurant to explain how they were made (fried, Franks, butter). She was buying them at the super market for 10 or 20 cents a pound. She said at that time, they were really just used for soup, like buying chicken necks or something. Obviously, if you were cooking/frying a whole cut chicken, you'd do the wings too, but a pack of wings? Mostly just garbage.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT